Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952377 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8125 on: 29 August, 2018, 07:18:24 pm »
I haven't watched it yet, as I only ordered a DVD of In the Heat of the Night a couple of days ago ( I couldn't find it on Netflix :(  )
There's not much to say that anything is wrong with that film.

Superb screenplay.
Fantastic performance from Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger.
Ray Charles delivering the tunes produced by Quincy Jones.
In the Heat of the Night gets a namecheck in The Lion King.

"They call me Mr.Pig!"

;D
Very good.

ETA - There's a bit of "Are you talking to me?" Robert de Niro / Taxi Driver filtering in there aswellbut.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8126 on: 29 August, 2018, 07:33:51 pm »
The Last Jedi

Dull, isn't it?

It was so unmemorable I can't even recall a single scene.
Was that the one set on a windy mossy cliff?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #8127 on: 29 August, 2018, 09:09:05 pm »
It says something that I had to google, but yes, there's was mossy cliff. And a lot of guff*. I grew up in the original Star Wars generation, so obviously my childhood was spent wanting (and never getting) a model Millennium Falcon and that may colour my views, but these latter versions seem like little more than weary retreads of the originals, which is a shame, as they could have done something interesting. Now compared to Marvel and stuff they just seem curiously flat nostalgia pieces, which I suppose is what they are. The only one that's been any good is Rogue One.

*I'm sure I griped about the 'space chase' where all the space ships – big and small – fly at the same speed, O! for a Millennium Falcon, that's for sure – and the utterly pointless side mission (well, not entirely pointless, they had a character and needed to find some reason for him to be in the film), and the fact the movie just seemed a big wobbly stack of contrivances. It's my biggest movie gripe, scripts and plotting that exist merely to move the movie forward, rather than an actual story that has its own momentum.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8128 on: 29 August, 2018, 09:36:03 pm »
The Last Jedi

Dull, isn't it?

It was so unmemorable I can't even recall a single scene.

I looked up what people said about it when it first came out because I had a vague recollection that yacfers were generally quite positive about it. I'm pleased to say I was mistaken - you were all pretty much as disappointed as me.

The main complaints were the implausibility (even by silly space film standards) of the side mission, and the thing that Princess Leia did. I agree with all of the complaints.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8129 on: 30 August, 2018, 11:21:23 am »
Speaking of guff, we re-watched Watchmen last night because we hadn't watched it for a few years.  It is fun most of the way through, but as always I fell asleep during the interminable yakking-match down in Antarctica. Thon nekkid blue guy is a royal pain in the butternuts.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #8130 on: 02 September, 2018, 09:04:36 pm »
Blackkklansman

Wow. Shocking. The ending completely blindsided me and left me in pieces. And angry. Deeply angry.

It's also very funny in places, but it's certainly not the bag of laughs I'd been led to expect from the trailer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8131 on: 10 September, 2018, 03:48:39 pm »
The Brand New Testament, a delightful Belgian film in which God is an unshaven, beer-swilling, TV-sport-watching swine who lives in a Brussels apartment and whose hobby is making life miserable for humanity.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8132 on: 15 September, 2018, 12:15:02 am »
It’s rare to find a film that combines a celebration of Autism and medium level Tourette’s whilst coping with a family separation.

Add in some light-hearted limb removal, disembowelling, mild peril, hokum science and cuddly alien dogs and you have The Predator.

Unfortunately we watched it without the benefit of a Friday night in the pub, but that’s our fault.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8133 on: 17 September, 2018, 08:40:54 pm »
Mother!

Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem.

Errr,  :-\
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #8134 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:10:17 pm »
Last night two filmx on TV.

Battleship

That was a laugh. A proper silly B movie adventure.

Anna Karinina

Watched 10 minutes of the middle and turned it off as it was so good I want to see it all from the start
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #8135 on: 19 September, 2018, 09:06:39 am »
"Cold War" https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/sep/02/cold-war-pawel-pawlikowski-review-mark-kermode

Beautifully filmed & acted, and a good score.  I was glad it was fairly short though, the sofa's in The Box are not very comfortable.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #8136 on: 19 September, 2018, 10:03:57 am »
I idly flicked through iPlayer on Friday and happened upon Reasonable Doubt.  It's utter tosh, of the kind that you don't really mind watching it until you get to the end and realise that it really wasn't worth (fortunately, only) 77 minutes of your life.  Not even Samuel L. Jackson could save it.

The King's Speech was also on there and, as you're probably all aware, in a different league.

fuzzy

« Reply #8137 on: 19 September, 2018, 10:16:52 pm »
Spotlight True story about the Boston Globe investigation into child abuse by Catholic priests and the subsequent church cover up.

Well worth a watch.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8138 on: 09 October, 2018, 12:01:13 am »
The unfortunate conclusion of an irregular series:

Sharknado 6 in lightly-edited IRC logs... Apologies in advance for the real spoilers being in the naming of the spoiler tags.

<kim> i've just remembered what i was supposed to be doing...
-!- kim changed the topic of #chat to: Current threat level: Sharknado
<kim> time for...  The Last Sharknado: It's About Time

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8139 on: 09 October, 2018, 09:17:36 am »
Malevolent. Guessed 90% of it when Celia Imrie showed up in the trailer. Only remaining issue was the body count at credits time. Wasn't far off.

Half-Closed Eye award with oak-leaves & woolly night-cap.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #8140 on: 12 October, 2018, 11:40:17 am »
Deadpool 2. Yes, really, on DVD.

I actually found myself laughing out loud several times. I DID have to rewind it once, just to check that, yes, they had just dropped the C-bomb.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8141 on: 12 October, 2018, 01:14:05 pm »
Flight.  First half-hour quite gripping, the rest is a boring morality play with altogether too much Godding.  See Alaskan Airways Flight 261.

« Reply #8142 on: 12 October, 2018, 01:31:00 pm »
Blindspotting.  I was lured by the unanimously good reviews but was disappointed. Characters all plainly recognisable stereotypes - but reversed (there's the pitch!).

Also a leaky and barely credible plot-line which always puts me in less tolerant state.

(click to show/hide)
The sound of one pannier flapping

citoyen

« Reply #8143 on: 15 October, 2018, 06:58:01 pm »
Oh, and why didnt anyone tell me about Downsizing? What a cracking idea! And sonmehow casting Matt Damon just makes the whole concept more hilarious. It can't possibly live upto expectatins, but the trailer really made me smile :)

I was also suckered by the trailer - looked like a great idea for a film. Besides which it's directed by Alexander Payne who is great... Sideways, Nebraska, Election and About Schmidt are among my favourite films of the last 20 years.

Finally got round to watching Downsizing at the weekend. It's very disappointing. I remember Mark Kermode being underwhelmed by it at the time but I don't always agree with him so dismissed it a bit. I've gone back to it and now realise that he was right all along...
https://youtu.be/Vtm3OXAwMw4

Also saw Black Panther at the weekend, which was enjoyably silly, though I couldn't quite get over the feeling that the premise of the film was African people kicking the shit out of each other for white people's entertainment, and there were several scenes where I half expected Timon and Pumbaa to pop up with a song.

On the subject of Kermode, his review of Mandy on last Friday's show made me think of ian...
"How much more Nic Cage could it be? None more Nic Cage"
https://youtu.be/k9Xqn2zEeOM

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #8144 on: 15 October, 2018, 09:12:35 pm »
Johnny English Strikes Again.  I didn't know about it until I saw it advertised on the side of the local buses, and since I enjoyed the first two films (and hardly ever go to the cinema anyway) it seemed like a good way to spend a day off.

The first few scenes seemed a bit rushed, a bit too convenient, maybe heavy on the prat falls, but then the film got into its stride.  One of the main sequences was terrific and inventive.  Much japery with cars and ships and gadgets, though the computer stuff could have done with more backstory.  The denouement builds in some nice parody, yet seemed rushed somehow, and some scenes were more reliant on CGI than I'd've liked.  While checking out showing times I accidentally saw the film's rating on a site that wasn't Rotten Tomatoes but like it, and resolved to avoid anything else bordering on spoilerism.  But I would probably agree with the rating if you rounded up a whole number or two.  Johnny English Reborn always seemed to me the more well-realised, more substantial film, slightly more proper-Bond, but this one made me laugh too and I'd go and see it again.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

fuzzy

« Reply #8145 on: 17 October, 2018, 11:10:19 pm »
First Man. I have read some reviews by folk who didn't like it much and a lot written about how BAD it was for not covering the planting of the flag.

Me? I enjoyed it. It took me back to when I was 7 years old and Dad got me out of bed to watch The Happening live onour rented Redifusion black and white telly :thumbsup:

The main thing for me about the film is this. It isn't about the moon landing. It is about the man. Get the hang of that factor and the film will be better for the viewer I think.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8146 on: 18 October, 2018, 12:24:07 am »
On a related note, I recently saw Mission Control: The Unsung Heroes of Apollo, starring John Aaron as chief nerd, Gene Kranz as America's favourite waistcoat model and Jim Lovell as the guy who played Tom Hanks in the Apollo programme.  Also featuring some lovingly crafted CGI of space stuff pointing in the wrong direction, a great many tobacco products, and some contemporary flight directors to demonstrate that NASA has women now.

It's clearly an attempt to round up and interview as many people as possible while they're still around, but that's no bad thing, and while Apollo 13 gets a lot of attention, they give plenty of time to wider aspects of flight control.

Recommended.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8147 on: 18 October, 2018, 11:36:39 am »
... and Jim Lovell as the guy who played Tom Hanks.

Love that!

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Samuel D

« Reply #8148 on: 18 October, 2018, 11:43:16 am »
Roma would appear to be worth watching if you can find it anywhere that shows it. Does anyone know what sort of films Caryn James typical likes and how often she gives out five stars?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8149 on: 18 October, 2018, 12:32:23 pm »
The main thing for me about the film is this. It isn't about the moon landing. It is about the man. Get the hang of that factor and the film will be better for the viewer I think.

Mark Commode made exactly that point on his film review thingie the other day.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime