Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952379 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10025 on: 14 January, 2023, 11:38:09 pm »
Empire of Light

I had a particular reason for wanting to see this, which is that the cinema in the film is the one where I used to go as a teen in the 80s (the Dreamland IRL), albeit a few years after the film is set. Although bizarrely the closed-down half of the cinema in the film is actually the bit that was open in those days.

It’s a really well made film in every detail. Visually gorgeous. Perfect soundtrack (both the original music and the many period pop songs that feature). Olivia Colman is simply magnificent and rest of the cast are excellent too.

I was on the lookout for Sliding Doors geography but they even got that right, save a few minor details*.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Recommended.

(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10026 on: 16 January, 2023, 11:49:42 am »
'No time to die'

It surprised me. Didn't feel long and I thought plot was excellent.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10027 on: 17 January, 2023, 04:05:30 pm »
'No time to die'

It surprised me. Didn't feel long and I thought plot was excellent.
I recorded it over Xmas and then realised it was so bad the first time around that I would never watch it again, so deleted the recording.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10028 on: 17 January, 2023, 05:36:15 pm »
Interceptors on Netflix.

Gave up a third of the way through. Too unrealistic, even within an unrealistic genre.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #10029 on: 22 January, 2023, 08:22:22 pm »
Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs. Great fun.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #10030 on: 23 January, 2023, 01:51:14 pm »
For the umpteenth time, The Shawshank Redemption on iPlayer.  It's one of those films I can want to watch and rewatch without getting bored.  Helped me get through a 2hr15m Z2 turbo session  ;D

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10031 on: 30 January, 2023, 10:09:06 pm »
The Banshees of Inisherin. Fuck me that was cheerful. Do not watch if you're already suffering the black dog.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #10032 on: 31 January, 2023, 09:50:38 am »
Empire of Light.

Beautifully acted and beautifully shot. A classic British film, and as Citoyen wrote, accompanied by a banging soundtrack.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #10033 on: 31 January, 2023, 08:03:07 pm »
A Storyville; Three Minutes: A Lengthening. The story of the last days of a Polish Jewish village, Nasielsk, extrapolated from 3 minutes of found cine film, taken in summer 1938. Fascinating and sobering.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10034 on: 01 February, 2023, 10:56:15 pm »
Black Panther - Wakanda Forever Well up there in the Marvel canon, possibly the best yet.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10035 on: 02 February, 2023, 08:38:35 am »
Velvet Buzzsaw, for the nth time. Quite the most delightful horror film ever produced.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #10036 on: 06 February, 2023, 02:10:53 pm »
The Bank of Dave
(Netflix)

A bit "low budget" but well acted and a heartwarming (true) story, especially for those who hate banks (is there anyone who doesn't?).

(click to show/hide)
Pen Pusher

« Reply #10037 on: 06 February, 2023, 04:10:08 pm »

I'm a bit 'meh' about the whole avatar thing. The first film stank of 'white saviour' to me, with a side helping of pocahontas.

The second film has an even more simplistic storyline. Thankfully, they ditched the bloody 3D.

It is pretty.

There are multiple scenes that are hacked straight out of an old cowboys and injuns film, complete with whooping, hollern' and natives riding horses flying pterodactyls to ransack the train. There is even cowboy - injun cross-species romance. No racism here!

Well, it is pretty. They've very carefully set up an ending leading into a third film.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10038 on: 28 February, 2023, 09:06:44 pm »
Mandibles, on the All4 app.  Surrealist nonsense, very funny and original.

(click to show/hide)
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

ian

« Reply #10039 on: 28 February, 2023, 09:13:33 pm »
Black Panther - Wakanda Forever Well up there in the Marvel canon, possibly the best yet.

I was a bit underwhelmed with this one for some reason.

Saw Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania the other night. Entertaining enough, if Marvel by numbers.

While I'm not unentertained by these movies, I do wonder if the world wouldn't be a better place if they just moved on and made something else. But not until the Guardians of the Galaxy because I am looking forward to that.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #10040 on: 01 March, 2023, 11:05:26 am »

Saw Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania the other night. Entertaining enough, if Marvel by numbers.

While I'm not unentertained by these movies, I do wonder if the world wouldn't be a better place if they just moved on and made something else. But not until the Guardians of the Galaxy because I am looking forward to that.

I actually got into the Marvel movies by accident when I went to see Iron Man (after going 'who he?') in 2008(ish).
I found them amusing enough to follow most of the story arc to the end of Endgame, but that's kind of enough now.  Since they're all standard 3-act sets in the order of "1. who? 2. downside 3. boss fight" I'm all out of caring.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10041 on: 01 March, 2023, 01:50:07 pm »
My problem with Marvel movies is that most of them would be greatly improved if an hour or so of fight scenes was left on the cutting room floor.  This suggests that I'm missing the point of Marvel movies.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10042 on: 01 March, 2023, 03:47:03 pm »
They're probably using a secret version of chatGPT to write the scripts.  After all, originality isn't what MCU devotees expect.

(Though I might watch one of the ones with Q. Cumberpatch just to watch him try not to wince at the dialog*.)

* Marvel don't deserve a -ue.

ian

« Reply #10043 on: 01 March, 2023, 08:41:52 pm »

I actually got into the Marvel movies by accident when I went to see Iron Man (after going 'who he?') in 2008(ish).
I found them amusing enough to follow most of the story arc to the end of Endgame, but that's kind of enough now.  Since they're all standard 3-act sets in the order of "1. who? 2. downside 3. boss fight" I'm all out of caring.

They're OK as popcorn movies, but since Endgame, I have a hard time remembering any of them. I think the only memorable one was The Eternals and that was because it was genuinely awful.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #10044 on: 07 March, 2023, 04:31:33 pm »
An Elephant Sitting Still. Directed by Hu Bo, China, 2018

https://mubi.com/films/an-elephant-sitting-still

Watched all 234 minutes of it last night, rather transfixed. Never seen a film that long before.

Then read up about it afterwards. It's the only film the director Hu Bo made and he committed suicide soon after aged 29.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #10045 on: 07 March, 2023, 05:38:49 pm »
Fall, currently showing on Netflix.

Absolutely dismal. Do not waste your time.

Sam
(Edited because the film lacks the definite article in the title)
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10046 on: 07 March, 2023, 05:58:11 pm »
The Fall, currently showing on Netflix.

Sam
Was that the series with the X-files woman, or is it a separate film? I found the series very depressing. And I couldn't believe her silk shirts stayed uncreased.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #10047 on: 07 March, 2023, 06:13:13 pm »
No, it's a film about two women who climb a 2000' tall decommissioned telecoms tower in the American desert without checking the bolts on the ladder.

I quite enjoyed the Gillian Anderson series to which you are referring, although it wasn't always comfortable viewing.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #10048 on: 08 March, 2023, 07:31:47 am »
Fall, currently showing on Netflix.

Sam
(Edited because the film lacks the definite article in the title)
I saw a youtube review of the film, which seemed to include all interesting events from the film.

For me, watching film of people going up those radio masts is like watching a horror film. I don't cope well with going up a 5m ladder.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10049 on: 08 March, 2023, 08:14:19 am »
Il Traditore, about the Cosa Nostra member Tommaso Buscetta who grassed them all up in the 80's. In Italian with French subs that were sometimes gone from the screen before I could finish reading them.  Good all the same.