Linked Events

• Rich's 50th: 07 June, 2018 - 10 June, 2018

Author Topic: Rich's 50th, Watlington camping weekend June 7th - 11th 2018  (Read 17887 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Watlington camping June 2018 (Yes that date is correct!)
« Reply #50 on: 20 May, 2018, 08:11:50 pm »
Given that I have now booked a load of B & Bs for my Pembrokeshire weekend, clearly I will have to take my new Alpkit Jaran tent and sleep in it (and see if anyone wants to buy it... ;) )
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
 :thumbsup:
Won't be me though as we have just brought another tent (for car camping) and we have no room for more!  ;D ;D

« Reply #52 on: 23 May, 2018, 11:51:30 pm »
Well I now have fully functioning brakes! However I would like it if some of you could cast an eye over my proposed route -  cycle.travel/map/journey/53372 and let me know if my route to the NE of Newbury looks OK as it's an area I don't know.
Thanks
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #53 on: 24 May, 2018, 08:47:03 am »
Unless you specifically need to go through them, most routings I know would avoid Newbury and Andover town centers.

Whitchurch / Kingsclere / Pangbourne would be the canonical AUK routing. Strava heatmap based routing suggests it too https://www.strava.com/routes/13406854 - that does encourage a gratuitous climb out of Pangbourne just to drop back down to the campsite. There is a fairly obvious riverside routing up through Goring instead, but my quick experiment suggests that actually gives more net climbing (and distance). Although avoiding that one brutal hill. Depends on how much gear you're lugging, and your gears :)

Thing2 and I are also keen to attend! We still have some things we need to juggle, and trying to figure out if we can squeeze in a cheeky 200km on the Saturday. (Was going to be Gospel pass, but a perm would be simpler)

« Reply #54 on: 24 May, 2018, 02:45:31 pm »
Unless you specifically need to go through them, most routings I know would avoid Newbury and Andover town centers.

Whitchurch / Kingsclere / Pangbourne would be the canonical AUK routing. Strava heatmap based routing suggests it too https://www.strava.com/routes/13406854 - that does encourage a gratuitous climb out of Pangbourne just to drop back down to the campsite. There is a fairly obvious riverside routing up through Goring instead, but my quick experiment suggests that actually gives more net climbing (and distance). Although avoiding that one brutal hill. Depends on how much gear you're lugging, and your gears :)

Thing2 and I are also keen to attend! We still have some things we need to juggle, and trying to figure out if we can squeeze in a cheeky 200km on the Saturday. (Was going to be Gospel pass, but a perm would be simpler)

I know Andover so can avoid the busy bits but it does mean I can pick up some shopping. If it isn't necessary I've got a bypass route sorted as I've ridden most of the lanes in the area! Again I used to work in Newbury so can always avoid but may split the trip into 2 and will need somewhere to camp.... decisions, decisions!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #55 on: 24 May, 2018, 06:18:21 pm »
I know Andover so can avoid the busy bits but it does mean I can pick up some shopping.

There's the little Co-op in Watlington too, if that helps avoid lugging stuff from further afield...

« Reply #56 on: 24 May, 2018, 11:48:00 pm »
I know Andover so can avoid the busy bits but it does mean I can pick up some shopping.

There's the little Co-op in Watlington too, if that helps avoid lugging stuff from further afield...

Thanks Nikki, most helpful. Are you thinking of going?
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #57 on: 25 May, 2018, 07:37:40 am »
It's currently looking reasonably likely  :thumbsup:

« Reply #58 on: 02 June, 2018, 02:08:54 pm »
Might have to miss this after all due to builder being unable to start monday. The work will now probably run into the week end.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: 02 June, 2018, 04:11:52 pm »
That's a shame Bob  :(   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #60 on: 02 June, 2018, 09:41:04 pm »
My plan to come early has fallen foul of having to work in Glasgow on Thursday, getting home very late that evening. I have just printed off my Oxford Tube ticket to Lewknor, though. Tuesday will be packing day,
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #61 on: 04 June, 2018, 01:50:16 pm »
I shall be getting to campsite Friday afternoon but need to leave on Sunday morning.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Steph

« Reply #62 on: 04 June, 2018, 09:10:30 pm »
For those who haven't seen my post on FB, I tore the front of my shin off today. If I come on Friday, it would mean returning on Monday morning, or possibly Sunday afternoon. I have a ticket for the Oxford Tube to/from Lewknor, and would have been bringing the bike, but the medics say it is not a good idea.

If anyone is able to run me from and to the Lewknor bus stop, that would be really appreciated. Butterfly has suggested Chinnor, but Lewknor makes logistical sense. Simple to carry tent/bag/stove etc.

« Reply #63 on: 05 June, 2018, 08:33:50 am »
For those who haven't seen my post on FB, I tore the front of my shin off today. If I come on Friday, it would mean returning on Monday morning, or possibly Sunday afternoon. I have a ticket for the Oxford Tube to/from Lewknor, and would have been bringing the bike, but the medics say it is not a good idea.

If anyone is able to run me from and to the Lewknor bus stop, that would be really appreciated. Butterfly has suggested Chinnor, but Lewknor makes logistical sense. Simple to carry tent/bag/stove etc.

We can definitely help you. We should be down in the afternoon.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Steph

« Reply #64 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:14:13 am »
Pain and seepage are not good. It will be best to cancel, I am afraid. Arsebollocks.

« Reply #65 on: 05 June, 2018, 11:34:42 am »
 :(   

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #66 on: 05 June, 2018, 02:25:54 pm »
Pain and seepage are not good. It will be best to cancel, I am afraid. Arsebollocks.
Sorry to read that :( there will be a few cars there if you do change your mind and need a lift.

Steph

« Reply #67 on: 05 June, 2018, 02:42:16 pm »
I know, mate, but with an open wound I don't think a field is the best place for me. In bed at the moment, sitting up so that leg can be level. Painful and messy.

« Reply #68 on: 05 June, 2018, 08:01:44 pm »
Get well soon steph   :)

I am packed and ready and will arrive Thursday afternoon  .I expect apollo on Friday morning   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 05 June, 2018, 08:24:07 pm »
I am packed and ready and will arrive Thursday afternoon  .I expect apollo on Friday morning   :)

Give me a headsup when you know which trike you're coming on.  I've got some electrickery for the electricky one, but there's no point bringing tools and stuff if it won't be there.

« Reply #70 on: 06 June, 2018, 06:55:04 am »
Hi kim ,  I have the tracking sorted so I will be riding the electric chair   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 06 June, 2018, 12:09:48 pm »
Hi kim ,  I have the tracking sorted so I will be riding the electric chair   :)

Goodgood.  I'll bring some tools with which to break it.  :)

« Reply #72 on: 06 June, 2018, 12:21:50 pm »
Does this mean we can all steal Cycleman's electrons to charge our phones with ?  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #73 on: 06 June, 2018, 12:33:05 pm »
Does this mean we can all steal Cycleman's electrons to charge our phones with ?  ;)

That's the plan...

« Reply #74 on: 06 June, 2018, 12:54:41 pm »
I should be arriving sometime after 17:00 tomorrow.