General Category > OT Knowledge

Dremel or similar - is not having variable speed ok for polishing?

(1/1)

Moultonaught:
I need to polish up some alloy bits (cranks etc on various bikes) and saw this in the Wilko's around the corner from work.

Draper Multi-Tool Kit 140w | Multi-Tool Kits |  | Power Tools & Accessories from Wilkinson Plus

It's only got one speed, I think, but at that price I'm thinking it's worth a try.
Thoughts please, or am I better waiting to find a better bit of kit on special offer?

pointers towards any offers welcomed

Don't really want to spend £60+,  ideally up to about £40, but maybe more for a real bargain...

Thanks all.

Moultonaught:
& I just found this - just to complicate my choice...

Buy Dremel 300 Rotary Tool Kit in Soft Pouch at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Multi purpose power tools.

£69.99 down to £45.99 &  the Argos near work has 1 in stock....  ???

Rhys W:
IMO it's not worth buying a cheap version. Once you have one you'll find all sorts of uses for it, and I tend to use mine at the lower speeds, which I suspect you'd find more useful for polishing. They're often discounted, so no need to pay full whack, as you've found out.

alexb:
If you can get a simple drill mount, to fix a standard drill into a vice (assuming you have one) then you can use a polishing mop mounted in a drill.
Polishing stuff up with a small polishing head is counter productive at times because you get overlapping "swirls" from the small head.
Ideally the polishing head should be bigger than the piece you are polishing (car waxing etc. excepted), unless you are trying to get into fine details.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version