General Category > OT Knowledge

gluing flexible plastic

(1/3) > >>

mrcharly-YHT:
I want to use some plastic to make a 'pocket' for my GPS. The plastic i'm talking about is the flexible transparent plastic sheeting that things like pencil cases are made from. I guess it's a type of PVC.

What sort of glue will work with this?

Feline:
Don't they usually just melt it to stick seams together?

Jurek:

--- Quote from: mrcharly on 11 April, 2011, 01:59:34 pm ---I want to use some plastic to make a 'pocket' for my GPS. The plastic i'm talking about is the flexible transparent plastic sheeting that things like pencil cases are made from. I guess it's a type of PVC.

What sort of glue will work with this?

--- End quote ---

Evostik impact adhesive is probably worth a try as it stays flexible - trouble is it looks like snot.

hellymedic:
I think I bought a specific PVC adhesive a while (>a decade) back.
No idea where from or how well it worked.

robgul:
Most items would be "PVC welded" - I have had limited success with clamping together the pvc sheet to the shape I wanted with bulldog clips - making a few "spot welds" with a thin electric soldering iron to get the thing to hold together in roughly the finished form - before removing the clips and then running a line of "weld" with the soldering iron.  (You'll need a number bits of the material to try your welding technique - it's a delicate combination of heat and pressure!!)

Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version