General Category > OT Knowledge

To Kobo or to Kindle?

(1/15) > >>

fuzzy:
I am thinking of taking the plunge into e readers and am not sure which route to take.

Which is the favoured reader on the forum? Also, is it worth going for the wifi capable units? If so, why?

Thanks.

Piemaster:
I'm using an early Kindle. A keyboard model with wifi and 3G.
Wifi is good for downloading books. Find book on Amazon, buy and select send to my Kindle. Turn wifi on the Kindle and book appears. Have rarely used the 3G, and it never seems to want to connect to it if there is wifi available - I wouldn't bother with it again.
The keyboard was only model available when I bought it and apart from menu and select buttons doesn't get used.
I've played with a touchscreen only version but didn't like having to stab at the screen to turn the page - much prefer the  buttons on the edge,easy one handed.
Oh,  and i do like the idea of one with a built in light, would be handy for not disturbing my wife in bed.

And stick the right search in and you can probably find something for free:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A341677031%2Cn%3A%21341678031%2Cn%3A341689031%2Cp_36%3A0-0&page=2&sort=price&ie=UTF8&qid=1359843840

Vince:
I suspect the key factor is are you going to buy books from Amazon or Smiths.

I'm a basic Kindle user and am very happy with it. (Actually on my second after the first got trodden on) The e-Ink screen is much better for reading than a iPad or equivalent due to the lack of glare, though finding a book light that works is a challenge.

As Piemaster says the Wifi is very useful for receiving books.

If you don't use Amazon as your book supplier, I would recommend Calibre to manage your book collection as it is capable of converting to the Kindle format.

pcolbeck:
Happy Kindle user her for years. I have the keyboard version and it's been all over Europe with me. Keeps me sane in hotels. Mines WiFi only not 3G and I haven't missed 3G. I wouldn't bother with the 3G as WiFi is ubiquitous these days. Hotels have it coffee shops have it or just think ahead and load up several books before a trip.
I was worried about mine breaking as I didn't fancy the newer ones that you have to swipe to change page on but now the latest Kindle Voyage has buttons again (well you just press the bezel) and that's what I'd go for as a replacement.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IOY524S/ref=kin_comp_dk_ki_img

The whole Amazon ecosystem for Kindle is very slick, instant book download, no software needed on your PC (unless you want to read the books on your PC as well). My first Kindle broke after a couple of months (design issue with the first release) and Amazon replaced it no questions asked and when I registered the new one to my account all my books repapered and they were even on the page I had got up to (Amazon whisper synch - which only works when the WiFi is on obviously).
Much better than using an iPad (though there is an iPad client for Kindle that synchs with your iPad in case you only want to take your iPad out sometimes) or PC to read books on.
The thing to remember is that a Kindle is a one function device. It's for reading text based books and for that its outstanding. It may have an inbuilt web browser but that's rubbish and its a bit crap for reading PDFs with graphics in them too.
I love paper books but really I don't want to keep the hundreds of novels I get through the Kindle is is much easier and teh books are usually cheaper. 

Wombat:
Another happy Kindle user here.  Not bothered with 3G, don't see the point, unless you are suddenly going to decide you desperately need a book whilst away from wifi.  I VERY rarely buy Amazon Kindle books, most of mine are from Project Gutenberg, and some are converted from documents I've either created or converted using Calibre.  I do also have the Kindle app on the phone (just big enough, its a Sony Xperia Z) and on the PC (definitely big enough, its a 26" monitor!) and also on the Nexus 7 tablet, which is only used if its a colour book such as a photography one.

I think the e-ink screen is brilliant, and way, way better than any tablet screen, and far more restful.

I still buy books, but thats because they are technical things with a high graphic content such as drawings of machinery, etc.  My largest format book must be way larger than A3, a book about the Eiffel tower, full of drawings.  The kindle is brilliant, but isn't for the "coffee table book" scenario, its for "reading books".  I also use it for Govt documents I need to have with me, and for meeting minutes and agendas, converted using Calibre, again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version