Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865128 times)

Tim

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1475 on: 01 November, 2011, 03:56:18 pm »
Last night - new brake pads before I also had to buy a new front rim...

I wondered why there appearer to be tinsel accumulating at the fork crown. It would appear that Aztec pads are cunningly designed to look as though they've got plenty of wear left when inspected from above whilst the metal work comes through in the middle of the pad and gouges your rim.

Aztec - that design is both stupid and dangerous. (Sadly had to put some more of the same on as that was the brand carried when dropping into the nearest shop.)

But hey, what could go wrong it's only the front wheel of the tandem and it's not as though the bike isn't known to top 50mph.

Also happened to pick up a spare mini-pump having left home without one and figured one that fitted into a saddle pack would come in handy.

And if I'm lucky there will be a Carradice Nelson awaiting me when I get home (though more likely a note from the postman telling me to drop by the sorting office at a time not of my convenience or maybe just another day of waiting)...

essexian

« Reply #1476 on: 01 November, 2011, 04:59:06 pm »
One of these.....

http://www.cube.eu/en/road/cross-race/cross-race/

Wont be with me until December worse luck

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1477 on: 01 November, 2011, 05:05:50 pm »
One of these.....

http://www.cube.eu/en/road/cross-race/cross-race/

Wont be with me until December worse luck

Nice, very very nice, I notice it has the new Shimano CX50 chainset, I am curous as to what that is like, compared to say a 105 chainset.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tim

« Reply #1478 on: 02 November, 2011, 08:24:44 am »
And if I'm lucky there will be a Carradice Nelson awaiting me when I get home
It was made by Debby.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1479 on: 02 November, 2011, 03:48:31 pm »
A dual-pull brake lever, and a 406 Marathon Winter, to go with the trike that barakta bought 25% of on Monday.   :thumbsup:

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1480 on: 02 November, 2011, 03:56:09 pm »
I have decided to Brookscrime my titanium bike so bought a new B17 today.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #1481 on: 05 November, 2011, 08:11:31 am »
After missing out on a carbon fibre mini pump that Biggsy was selling I realised that my life was incomplete without one, so I bought one from High on Bikes via Ebay...

I got the Barbieri, the one that Biggsy admits in his test report that he prefers....not the other one that he tried to palm me off with. It's outrageous, but a lucky escape for me I think.

;)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1482 on: 05 November, 2011, 10:22:01 am »
On the commuter bike, the chain has started slipping a bit, so after prizing off the encrusted 6 months worth of gunk, I could see the chain was more than a little stretched.  As the cassette was a couple of years old as well, I've bought a new chain and 2 x 7 speed cassettes from Wiggle. 

The other one can go on the spare rear wheel which has the studded winter tyres on, so when the big freeze happens, I can just swap the wheels over and pedal away.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #1483 on: 05 November, 2011, 11:50:54 am »
I had a surprise present arrive in the post, a Rapha winter cap and a pink wind jacket  :o  ;D  :thumbsup:
Thank you simonp  :-*
I think this means I now need to get out and ride my bike again, and I have a brand spanking new Brooks Finesse saddle on it that needs breaking in still after it being off the road for a month with a b0rked shifter. I wish I wasn't on nights this weekend!

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #1484 on: 06 November, 2011, 04:52:38 pm »
A Smart Lunar 1W rear light. From Amazon.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1485 on: 06 November, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »
Expending round tuits in an effort to get my Orbea Elorrio back on the road and ready for winter.  Just ordered a FSA Alpha Drive MTB Chainset.  Also ordered a Shimano Nexus DH-3D72A.  I'll be taking the latter, along with the Avid BB7 I picked up recently, to a LBS and have them build me a new front wheel / set up disc brake.  After a few months with discs on the tourer, I am now a convert.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1486 on: 07 November, 2011, 11:45:26 am »
Expending round tuits in an effort to get my Orbea Elorrio back on the road and ready for winter.  Just ordered a FSA Alpha Drive MTB Chainset.  Also ordered a Shimano Nexus DH-3D72A.  I'll be taking the latter, along with the Avid BB7 I picked up recently, to a LBS and have them build me a new front wheel / set up disc brake.  After a few months with discs on the tourer, I am now a convert.

I seem to have been convinced to build the new front wheel rather than ask a LBS to do it.  Time to start looking for a rim and figure out spoke length.  The BEER, which will obviously be necessary, can be picked up on the day.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1487 on: 07 November, 2011, 10:48:45 pm »
A pair of dhb fleecy bib longs and a s/s merino baselayer. And a pack of energy gels to bring the total up over £75 so I could use the £10 off offer wiggle've got going.

And currently perusing dynohubd wheels and dyno lights.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1488 on: 07 November, 2011, 10:51:15 pm »
I have been investing in some rather pokey rear lights: a pair of RSP Astrums (should that be astra?) and a Blackburn Mars 4.0. This should keep the motons aware of my existence as the daylight fades. It was a very murky ride today and I felt a little exposed. I was lit, but I'd have been happier with a few more photons.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1489 on: 07 November, 2011, 10:56:36 pm »
I have been investing in some rather pokey rear lights: a pair of RSP Astrums (should that be astra?) and a Blackburn Mars 4.0. This should keep the motons aware of my existence as the daylight fades. It was a very murky ride today and I felt a little exposed. I was lit, but I'd have been happier with a few more photons.

You need a DesignShine.  It pales my Dinotte into a wimpy Astrum!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xGzfcvNBNc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0xGzfcvNBNc&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Conspicuous Consumption
« Reply #1490 on: 08 November, 2011, 08:57:19 am »
I'm starting to loathe this thread. Every time it appears I'm thinking "who's smugly throwing money around today?"
I've clearly posted in it before, as it's in my R2U but really, is this what it's about? Shopping?

Re: Conspicuous Consumption
« Reply #1491 on: 08 November, 2011, 09:00:32 am »
I'm starting to loathe this thread. Every time it appears I'm thinking "who's smugly throwing money around today?"
I've clearly posted in it before, as it's in my R2U but really, is this what it's about? Shopping?

It is public confession to assuage guilt.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1492 on: 08 November, 2011, 09:28:33 am »
In that case can we see a little more self-flagellation please?

Thanks, and I'll take 2 hail martins for looking at dog fangs on wiggle.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1493 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:56:06 pm »
Not a lot really, just 300 YACF water bottles :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1494 on: 08 November, 2011, 05:22:11 pm »
I prefer to think of it as more of a guilty admissions thread...

(Some closed-cell foam, with which I may attempt to sort out the lumbar support on my recumbent seat.)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #1495 on: 08 November, 2011, 09:24:04 pm »
In that case can we see a little more self-flagellation please?

Bless me boab for I have sinned.  How many strokes of the lash for stealing a glance at this page?  Will I go blind?

(Lest there's any doubt, chances of us actually getting one in the next few years == 0.0000)
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1496 on: 08 November, 2011, 10:25:02 pm »
I have been sorely tempted by the conspicuous consumption and the shiny loveliness, but I was strong, and my wallet stayed in my pocket.
Specifically; I was in York for a meeting last Thursday.  After the meeting, I noticed the (new? newish?) bike shop just outside the station, with its seemingly infinite array of Bromptons.  Nearer the back were some *ahem* leather goods.  I.e. Carradice or similar bag, clearly Brompton-compatible, looking like it was made from Brooks leather.

*drool*

Then I saw the three-digit price tag.  And the first digit was, IIRC (*), a 3.

*gulp*

(*) I appear to have forgotten the exact price, possibly due to the shock.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1497 on: 08 November, 2011, 10:38:51 pm »
Pish!  You were in York WHEN I WAS BAKING and you didn't pop round?  Shocked, I am.

(The daughter of the owner of said emporium of Shiny is one of SmallestCub's best friends at school!)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1498 on: 08 November, 2011, 10:58:24 pm »
(The daughter of the owner of said emporium of Shiny is one of SmallestCub's best friends at school!)

Does that mean he gets a discount?   :D

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1499 on: 09 November, 2011, 08:19:54 am »
Pish!  You were in York WHEN I WAS BAKING and you didn't pop round?  Shocked, I am.
:'(
Damn that work-ethic of mine.  I was a pied, and was expecting to go to the Signalbox after the meeting to assist in putting some new software in; then I got the call that the installers weren't going to be there for another 2 hours, AND that there was another problem that needed me back in Derby to investigate.  So a short browse in the Brommie shop in lieu of a lunchbreak, and then straight back home on the 1345.
I'll text next time.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip