Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865036 times)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1500 on: 09 November, 2011, 09:39:06 am »
A couple of YACF bidons, over breakfast,whilst still pyjama'd (day off) - oh the ease of technology!

« Reply #1501 on: 09 November, 2011, 02:42:55 pm »
I just bought some tyres, topped up with a couple of inner tubes and some slap wrap retroflective things, to get the cost just over £100, so I can get the £50 off of my next over £100 purchase that ChainReaction is currently running.  Who says marketing schemes don't work. ;D

(I wanted to buy some tyres anyway, and the rest will be used, so effectively it's 25% off as far as I'm concerned!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Tim

« Reply #1502 on: 09 November, 2011, 04:26:38 pm »
Phoned bikeshop at lunchtime to ask them to charge up a new front light so that when I can drop by later to hand over teh monies I can head straight out for a test ride.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1503 on: 09 November, 2011, 07:04:06 pm »
Had a BIG package arrive today from the Bandits of Bridgwater, containing a variety of goodies, including some Velox rim tape and a zéfal hp-x...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1504 on: 09 November, 2011, 07:39:19 pm »
Specifically; I was in York for a meeting last Thursday.  After the meeting, I noticed the (new? newish?) bike shop just outside the station, with its seemingly infinite array of Bromptons.
Cycle Heaven - they have another branch at the bottom end of Bishopthorpe Road.

They also have an orange Brompton with my name on it, they just don't know it yet ;)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1505 on: 09 November, 2011, 07:50:21 pm »
Following near-mischief in the dark on Tuesday, which was basically caused by me out-running my lights and coming damn near to wrapping myself aroud a set of closed snow-gates on a descent, I've upgraded my lighting.

I was using an Exposure Spark, which I still consider to be a great valu-for-money little battery light.

I've got myself an ExPoSurE MaXx-D which one of my buddies uses, and I've often fancied, but never justified to myself till now.

Oh, and a nice new lezene pump, coz my old one broke.

--
F

« Reply #1506 on: 09 November, 2011, 07:55:36 pm »
Tempted by the 50% Assos reduction on Chain Reaction Tuesday, a gilet and gloves plopped through my door today ... good job they didn't have much in my size

« Reply #1507 on: 09 November, 2011, 08:02:52 pm »
I've got myself an ExPoSurE MaXx-D which one of my buddies uses, and I've often fancied, but never justified to myself till now.

Oooh lovely!!  I have an older one which won't be as bright as yours.  I hope you enjoy it on your monster monster commute!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1508 on: 09 November, 2011, 08:05:30 pm »
Butterfly recently bought a Maxx-D.  Quite astonishing light.
Getting there...

Feanor

« Reply #1509 on: 09 November, 2011, 08:36:26 pm »
Yes, It's quite a beast.
I have great hopes :-)

It is very suitable for my situation ( ride time 2.5 hours each way, generally not all of it in the dark ) where it can get charged both at home overnight, and at work during the day.

I'm also looking at dynohub lighting systems for longer rides where I can expect longer hours in the dark, and no access to charging, and remebering that the beast does not have interchangeable batteries.   So when it's done, it's done.

This will be my next major purchase.

--
Ron

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1510 on: 09 November, 2011, 08:40:03 pm »
Top end dynohubs are lovely beasts.
This post may seriously damage your wealth!

« Reply #1511 on: 09 November, 2011, 08:44:19 pm »
In that case can we see a little more self-flagellation please?

Bless me boab for I have sinned.  How many strokes of the lash for stealing a glance at this page?  Will I go blind?

(Lest there's any doubt, chances of us actually getting one in the next few years == 0.0000)

17 for looking and another 10 for making me look.

Not just aiding and abetting but leading me into temptation.
/drool

« Reply #1512 on: 09 November, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »
The MaXx-D on medium power should give 10 hours of awesomeness.  TBH it's very rideable on dark lanes on low power too.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1513 on: 14 November, 2011, 12:18:29 pm »
My rechargeable batteries anna charger arrived today, though they were technically bought last week  :)  No running out of batteries for me!   O:-)

I also ordered some Schwalbe Marathon Plusses for Geraldine the lovely Pilen, so that hopefully I never have to remove/replace that back wheel again!  Or at least not for some time...that's a pig of a job!

And a new rack bag as I don't always need panniers but often need more than a little saddlebag.  And the panniers are cheap and cheerful tat, tbh...lol!

« Reply #1514 on: 14 November, 2011, 01:01:03 pm »
Yes, It's quite a beast.
I have great hopes :-)

It is very suitable for my situation ( ride time 2.5 hours each way, generally not all of it in the dark ) where it can get charged both at home overnight, and at work during the day.

I'm also looking at dynohub lighting systems for longer rides where I can expect longer hours in the dark, and no access to charging, and remebering that the beast does not have interchangeable batteries.   So when it's done, it's done.

This will be my next major purchase.

--
Ron

You can get a 3 cell or 1 cell piggyback battery for it (there are some on ebay at the moment), but I don't know how good they are. I use mine on low in town, medium or low most of the time in the lanes and usually only on high for going downhill on unlit roads :).

Dynohubs are also marvelous objects.

I have a bit of a light fetish. I blame the first forum ride I ever did, back in the days of cplus. I ended up riding back to the station with Pancho along a really dark lane and when he went ahead downhill, I really couldn't see a thing with my lights. It scared me somewhat!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1515 on: 14 November, 2011, 01:01:31 pm »

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #1516 on: 14 November, 2011, 01:19:39 pm »
A Bell Solar helmet from Winstanleys. I was rather wary of buying a helmet on line but these appear to be adjustable for all head sizes and a very good price so I’ll risk it. My current lid is years old, ARP painted on the front etc…

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1517 on: 14 November, 2011, 01:49:27 pm »
Some Sustrans maps of half of the North of the UK. The Sustrans site has half price on maps at the moment :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1518 on: 14 November, 2011, 02:03:50 pm »
Pondering a set of Bender Fenders (http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/bender-fender-426-p.asp) for the Surly - much cheaper than 'full' mudguards and may also mean that I won't have to faff around removing them if I want to do some serious off-road.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1519 on: 14 November, 2011, 02:38:10 pm »
Cables for the Ridley
New brake levers for the fixie
A pair of CX tyres for the InBred
2 new bottle cages for the Ridley
A Fat Spanner Hollowtech II tool.

I sense fettling sessions in my future.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1520 on: 14 November, 2011, 02:54:39 pm »
Pondering a set of Bender Fenders (http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/bender-fender-426-p.asp) for the Surly - much cheaper than 'full' mudguards and may also mean that I won't have to faff around removing them if I want to do some serious off-road.

They're surprisingly good! I was sceptical at first but it works really well. They don't need much clearance but had to take mine off when I put a fatter tyre on up front.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1521 on: 14 November, 2011, 02:58:13 pm »

They're surprisingly good! I was sceptical at first but it works really well. They don't need much clearance but had to take mine off when I put a fatter tyre on up front.
Should know in a couple of days, 'cos I went and ordered some :)
I'm running 2.1" slicks at the moment so I doubt there'll be any issues with clearance, but if they can keep the worst of the road-borne gunge off then I'll call it a win. Plus, if I do decide to put HBFO downhill tyres on in the event of snow, they'll be far less hassle to remove than a set of 'proper' mudguards.

EDIT: Indeed, the design of the Bender Fenders is such that if'n'when I get Pugsley, I may be tempted to hack together a version that will accommodate a 4" tyre - perfect use for some offcuts of damp-proof course material ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1522 on: 14 November, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »
Coughed up the £ for prescription cycling specs with varifocals,photochromatic lenses with clear view coating.
They are actually frames from Specsavers sunglasses range but they are an excellent wrap around fit.
So geeky as to be trend-setting 8)

Feanor

« Reply #1523 on: 15 November, 2011, 10:22:46 am »
There's a wiggle box waiting for me this morning at work  :)

So I've just fettled the new Exposure Maxx-D and Lezyne pump onto the steed.

I'm taken by just how nicely machined both items are.  Even the exposure handlebar mounts are works of art in themselves.

Light is charging.
Check the news for reports of un-explained bush-fires on the Cairn O'Mount this evening...

--
Ron

fuzzy

« Reply #1524 on: 15 November, 2011, 11:06:18 am »
There's a wiggle box waiting for me this morning at work  :)

So I've just fettled the new Exposure Maxx-D and Lezyne pump onto the steed.

I'm taken by just how nicely machined both items are.  Even the exposure handlebar mounts are works of art in themselves.

Light is charging.
Check the news for reports of un-explained bush-fires on the Cairn O'Mount this evening...

--
Ron

It is now that you almost understand the reason behind the magnitude of Exposure pricing isn't it?

Fantastically manufactured bling.