Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865040 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1550 on: 21 November, 2011, 08:29:50 pm »
Tsk!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #1551 on: 22 November, 2011, 07:30:13 pm »
Shim Acera rear brake, a lock cable, and put 2 marathon plusses on order for my hybrid bike. I noticed on Sunday that the front tyre is seriously out of profile, and the rear one isn't much better.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1552 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:19:55 pm »
Finger hovering over the purchase of one of these... http://www.tgstore.eu/xenon-jacket-p-3492.html

But then again I have just recently bought a (non-cycling specific) Berghaus Windstopper jacket, so another might be overkill....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #1553 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:32:34 pm »
Bought some new sealed bearings for my rear fixed wheel. I thought I was slowing down on my commute the other day but then within a couple of miles it suddenly got very hard as if my brake was on.
Got them in Condor's. Standard £4 but I went for the expensive stainless steel type at £10 each. Was I stitched up?
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

« Reply #1554 on: 23 November, 2011, 06:25:32 pm »
Just bought a pair of the new Shimano XC50 shoes, they look to be great value (arrived today). I bought the winterised XC50N, so no pimpy white finish, but the fit seems excellent and I'm looking forward to having warm feet again.
Standard XC50: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=69960&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom
Winterised XC50N: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=69961
Note the fact that these have closed soles. A lot of the new Shimano range have open soles, so that the SPD plates leave open slots around the cleats where water creeps in if you have to go wading.

I also got a pair of new bibshorts to bump the price over £100 to save myself a tenner on the order.
and I ordered a new pair of intermediate weather gloves.

Good job my birthday is just around the corner!

« Reply #1555 on: 23 November, 2011, 06:57:32 pm »
Ordered a Rohloff 36 hole disc hub with external mesh box & various items kit. One of those don't look too hard at the total, just press the 'confirm order' tab, and go away for a lie down.

Frere

« Reply #1556 on: 23 November, 2011, 09:33:28 pm »
Yay my La Société Adrian Hands jersey arrived  ;D
Boo to Customs and Excise twats for the massive £14 charge to receive the package!
All I need now is some warm enough weather to wear a short sleeved jersey in to christen it.

fuzzy

« Reply #1557 on: 24 November, 2011, 08:56:05 am »
Not today but just remebered.

The other day I bought 2 yacf bidons :smug:

tiermat

« Reply #1558 on: 24 November, 2011, 09:00:40 am »
Not today but just remebered.

The other day I bought 2 yacf bidons :smug:

And they should be with you today or tomorrow, the first ones have shown up (but then they only had ~15 miles to go to get there! :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #1559 on: 24 November, 2011, 09:14:13 am »
Whoop :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1560 on: 24 November, 2011, 09:42:56 am »
A new Alfine rear wheel arrived from Germany and a XT dérailleur from a well known bird themed northern MTB retailer

For two different projects, obviously.  But living proof that bike gears are a PitA

The Alfine wheel is a pre-built Shimano product, 24h and includes a join kit, sprocket, track nuts and a twist shifter.  The wheel even already has rim tape on it.   Apart from being 24h, it's ideal.  It was £120 inc shipping, so assuming it works as advertised for a few months, bargain. Ideal for a person who just wants their commuting bike to work.  I can then rebuild the old rear wheel at my leisure

The XT dérailleur is for the 1x9, I am just waiting for the fork crown puller and the headset press now

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1561 on: 24 November, 2011, 03:58:12 pm »
The XT dérailleur is for the 1x9..

nice and simple setup, just make sure you have something to keep the chain on the chainring (outer chainguard or lowered front mech)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1562 on: 25 November, 2011, 04:40:01 pm »
Turbo trainer.  Ebay bargain from a local seller (who has very kindly offered to drop it off on Monday, which saves me trying to transport it by bike).

I still consider the things to be a lesser work of Stan, but they're the sort of thing that's useful to have around for tweaking bike setup in a warm place with proper tools to hand, and barakta has expressed an interest in having one to do short sessions on over the winter in the hope of developing cycling legs without the faff overhead of warm clothing and getting the trike in and out of the house and so on.

I expect I'll have to do something clever to make it work with a 20" wheel, but how hard can that be?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1563 on: 25 November, 2011, 04:45:56 pm »
I expect I'll have to do something clever to make it work with a 20" wheel, but how hard can that be?
Depends on the turbo, but if its anything like mine it has a bracket which you fit in order for the roller to reach the tyre on a 26" wheel so I can't imagine it being massively difficult.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1564 on: 25 November, 2011, 04:52:44 pm »
The Alfine wheel is a pre-built Shimano product, 24h and includes a join kit, sprocket, track nuts and a twist shifter.  The wheel even already has rim tape on it.   Apart from being 24h, it's ideal.  It was £120 inc shipping, so assuming it works as advertised for a few months, bargain. Ideal for a person who just wants their commuting bike to work.  I can then rebuild the old rear wheel at my leisure
This sounds like the same sort of wheel that I have on my orange Genesis - if it is, then you may well be surprised how robust it is. Apart from having to engage in a minor bit of wheel voodoo after an encounter with a particularly nasty pothole it's managed to cope admirably with 20 stone of me, plus luggage, for the past 5000 miles or so. Shimano do a matching 20-hole dyno-hub fitted front wheel which again, is far more robust than its looks would indicate.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1565 on: 25 November, 2011, 04:54:35 pm »

Depends on the turbo, but if its anything like mine it has a bracket which you fit in order for the roller to reach the tyre on a 26" wheel so I can't imagine it being massively difficult.

Marj has her Trice on a set of rollers

tiermat

« Reply #1566 on: 25 November, 2011, 04:57:14 pm »
This sounds like the same sort of wheel that I have on my orange Genesis - if it is, then you may well be surprised how robust it is. Apart from having to engage in a minor bit of wheel voodoo after an encounter with a particularly nasty pothole it's managed to cope admirably with 20 stone of me, plus luggage, for the past 5000 miles or so. Shimano do a matching 20-hole dyno-hub fitted front wheel which again, is far more robust than its looks would indicate.

If it is anything like Shimano's other factory built wheels, it will be way way tougher than it looks.

I have a set of Ultegra 6600 wheels on the Ridley (IIRC 16/20 spokes) and have actually ridden them off road, several times, on 23mm tyres and not had any pringles with them.  In fact all the have had done to them in the 3 years I have had them is a minor trueing and bearing service (which was just a strip down and re-grease).

« Reply #1567 on: 25 November, 2011, 05:01:35 pm »
Well, in true backwards-thinking stylee I have ordered a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres in 700x35mm. I used my CRC £15 voucher and a Cashback website in addition to help assuage my guilt at this frivolous purchase. It is frivolous because I don't actually really have the bike to fit these tyres to yet  :facepalm:

They would actually fit on my Claud Butler sit-up-and-beg dog walking bike, so if it gets icy I will actually get to try them, but can't see myself riding very far on that bike especially with its naff twist grip shifters and hideous plastic chain guard. I am looking for N+1 with hub gears and disc brakes for winter use, but might need to win the lottery first  :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1568 on: 25 November, 2011, 05:08:47 pm »
Marj has her Trice on a set of rollers

I considered that, but they're a lot harder to come by cheaply.  And of course a lot less useful with two-wheelers in the absence of space, soft surfaces and 1337 balance 5k|11z (which are in short supply around here).

Plus (and it sounds like a minor plus, but I can't emphasise how much easier it makes things), clamping the rear axle in a turbo is the best way to work out whether the boom on your two-wheeled recumbent is actually straight.  Worth it for that alone, IMHO.

I'm sure an extension bracket shouldn't be too hard to molish out of some angle iron or a sturdy block of wood or something.

« Reply #1569 on: 26 November, 2011, 02:55:00 am »
2010 Campag Veloce (ultrashift) ergo levers (as spare)
Campag Comp rear mech (as spare)

« Reply #1570 on: 26 November, 2011, 08:00:43 pm »
Having physically seen one in action recently and been blown away, have just ordered a 1600 lumen adjustable focus torch from China for the bike. Will arrive weeks from now I guess. For £16 with free delivery can't really complain.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1571 on: 27 November, 2011, 06:32:18 pm »
some tyre levers (then found the one's they're replacing :facepalm:), some new Easton Bar tape and a Tortec Ultralight rear rack.

I'm trying to pursuade myself that my vantage is good enough not to need a new audax bike  :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1572 on: 27 November, 2011, 09:33:15 pm »
not exactly cycling stuff, but they will be handy in future fettles - rivet gun&rivets and tap and die set. bought at my local lidl.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1573 on: 27 November, 2011, 10:17:55 pm »
not exactly cycling stuff, but they will be handy in future fettles - rivet gun&rivets and tap and die set. bought at my local lidl.

I got that tap and die set as well, for when I'm brave enough to drill out the stuck screw in my front fork It looks quite good :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1574 on: 27 November, 2011, 10:19:49 pm »
I had a Turbo saddle and North Face messenger bag arrive from Wiggle yesterday.