Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 863825 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #525 on: 03 November, 2010, 08:07:01 pm »
An Arkel Randonneur Rack and TrailRider Trunk Bag.  Expensive, but Arkel stuff seems to be well put together.

I prefer the idea of the Randonneur Rack over more traditional seat pin mounted racks, which I'm worried do seem to have quite a lot of leverage.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #526 on: 04 November, 2010, 01:40:16 pm »
My Brooks B17 S arrived this morning and is sat with the proofide soaking in waiting for a test ride  :smug:

« Reply #527 on: 04 November, 2010, 01:49:41 pm »
Some baggy shorts, and having just used my last spare Marathon Supreme, three news ones available as and when I want to change any of the current ones.

Also some bar tape for n+2, and a couple of boxes of apple and bananananana energy gels (I thought I'd try the High5 ones, since they're a lot cheaper than the Torq stuff).
Actually, it is rocket science.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #528 on: 04 November, 2010, 04:22:35 pm »
Just got some Shimano MT60 Goretex MTB shoes, as the Lake ones I got last week didn't fit

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #529 on: 04 November, 2010, 04:58:17 pm »
Assos FI Uno S5 Logo Bib Shorts, I've been waiting for these to come into stock for a few months as the mille shorts have been changed are are a lot looser than they used to be  :(
Assos Spring/Fall Coolmax Socks white & Assos Chamois Cream.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #530 on: 04 November, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »
Not a purchase as such .... but I bought a length of alloy rod at B&Q which I then bent into one of those hook type things that you use when the bike's in a workstand ... to keep the front bars/forks/wheel in alignment.    Have now embellished with some plastic tubing to ensure that frame paintwork doesn't get scratched.

Rob

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #531 on: 04 November, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »
A turbo trainer.  Mmm, dark and cold.  Mmm, MTV bikini dancers. :smug:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #532 on: 04 November, 2010, 05:09:59 pm »
Over 200 quids worth of tools and parts for a Campag cassette hub. No wonder they've just about stopped making hubs, they aren't very good at it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Clandy

« Reply #533 on: 04 November, 2010, 05:58:35 pm »
Last Sunday downloaded the Cyclemeter app, very useful! Also grabbed the Bike Hub and IPayRoadTax apps.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #534 on: 04 November, 2010, 06:58:43 pm »
On Tuesday I bought a Kinesis T2 frame, and carboforks which are somewhere between there and here :thumbsup:
In a porcelfarce depot or lorry :'(

« Reply #535 on: 04 November, 2010, 08:20:59 pm »
An XXS cycling helmet.

It arrived! But the owner is asleep and so can't try it on her.

Knucklehead 'Lil Runt from the Weeride distributors. The only helmet I could find that goes down to 44cm (the 46cm helmet we tried on her in Halfords rattled around a bit too much for my liking, despite her last head measurement by the health visitor being 46cm - those 'red books' come in useful for some things!).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #536 on: 06 November, 2010, 02:33:52 am »
My new Sidi MTB Diablo goretex winter boots arrived today.
   Wiggle | Sidi MTB Diablo Gore-Tex Boots 2011 Offroad Shoes

I took a chance and ordered a size up from my Shimano MTB shoes to allow the wearing of more than one pair of socks in them, and they seem to be a decent fit. Enough toe wriggle room to hopefully stop numbness but they don't slip around at the heel. With 4 velcro straps it should be easy enough to get the tightness right depending on sock layerage.

I've just put some Shimano MTB cleats on them so should be able to test them out over next few days.
It occurred to me today that I would never spend this much on a normal pair of shoes. i once spent £100 on some nice Boden suede heels with leather souls and my dog ate them! He ain't getting anywhere near my Sidis!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #537 on: 07 November, 2010, 07:23:41 pm »
(Yesterday...)
I left an optimistic deposit at the LBS for a replacement drive belt for the Trek.  Optimistic in that I doubt they'll be able to source one, and I won't see my money again.
Then again, they've another belt-drive Trek in their showroom, so I could just buy that, and a sprocket, chainring and chain to convert one or the other to the far-too-many-metal-moving-parts drive that seems to be so prevalent these days.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #538 on: 07 November, 2010, 09:34:12 pm »
A B&M Cyo off ebay for about £66 total, seeing as I've had a dynamo wheel lying about in the garage for over a year.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #539 on: 08 November, 2010, 01:16:04 pm »
(Yesterday...)
I left an optimistic deposit at the LBS for a replacement drive belt for the Trek.  Optimistic in that I doubt they'll be able to source one, and I won't see my money again.
Then again, they've another belt-drive Trek in their showroom, so I could just buy that, and a sprocket, chainring and chain to convert one or the other to the far-too-many-metal-moving-parts drive that seems to be so prevalent these days.
Update: They're asking Fifty Notes for a new rubber-band toothed belt. :o
And this one isn't really worn out, it's just that I can't pull the back wheel any further back as it's at the limit of the slots.  So they're going to investigate getting a larger rear sprocket.  (Which is good, as I wanted lower gears anyway.)  I'll buy the replacement belt, compare the new one with the worn one, and see if the lengths are noticeably different.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #540 on: 08 November, 2010, 02:13:28 pm »
Phil Woods are now doing Gates belt drive components http://www.philwood.com/products/bdrive/bdcogs.php  They aren't cheap.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #541 on: 08 November, 2010, 03:34:34 pm »
Update: They're asking Fifty Notes for a new rubber-band toothed belt. :o

That seems like a depressingly strong argument for a far-too-many-metal-moving-parts drive   :-\

No doubt they can be obtained for 3 quid a go from the right industrial rubber band supplier, iff you can work out what it is...

« Reply #542 on: 08 November, 2010, 03:41:21 pm »
They're asking Fifty Notes for a new rubber-band toothed belt. :o

Have you looked here ?

« Reply #543 on: 08 November, 2010, 03:54:45 pm »
You need to know the teeth pitch and the exact length to get the correct size belt.......Genuine Harley belts are over £200, aftermarket £140.....Sorry for being off topic...

Yes, s/h light thanks gene hunt. Planet X for 2 x cheap tyres, stem, bar tape, and different adaptor for the front mech on the Mercian...And then there's Xmas to think about... ;)

« Reply #544 on: 08 November, 2010, 03:57:08 pm »
You need to know the teeth pitch and the exact length to get the correct size belt.......

Is that info not usually printed onto the outside circ. of the belt?

« Reply #545 on: 09 November, 2010, 01:58:56 pm »
A set of rollers. Sounds worryingly like I may delve into the murky world of "training".

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #546 on: 09 November, 2010, 02:41:05 pm »
2 X Michelin Pro race 3 tyres.
5 innertubes
SPD cleats for the Missus's new winter boots
1 Innovations Second Wind Carbon Road Pump

« Reply #547 on: 09 November, 2010, 02:42:49 pm »
Yesterday evening but it was two tyres for MH and a couple of spares for the tourers.   Almost the last of the Schwalbe Marathon HS308 stock in existence I reckon!

Chris S

« Reply #548 on: 09 November, 2010, 02:47:51 pm »
A set of rollers. Sounds worryingly like I may delve into the murky world of "training".

Can I come round and play with your rollers please?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #549 on: 09 November, 2010, 02:49:18 pm »

Can I come round and play with your rollers please?

That's a smooth line in patter ;D