Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865972 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #625 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:38:54 pm »
Yep! A bright brushed Sabbath September Ti frame with laser etched graphics  ;D  ;D  ;D

LindaG

« Reply #626 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:49:27 pm »
Brilliant!

You are sure to be happy together.

When will the happy arrival be?

« Reply #627 on: 13 December, 2010, 02:14:08 pm »
Brilliant!

You are sure to be happy together.

When will the happy arrival be?

The new arrival will most likely be delivered in the new year (but at current VAT rates  :thumbsup: ).

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #628 on: 13 December, 2010, 02:35:00 pm »
Carradice rack top bag (carradura) -- realised that I need pockets and other gubbins rather than one big bag strapped to the rack after this saturday's audax ride.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #629 on: 13 December, 2010, 02:37:07 pm »
Yep! A bright brushed Sabbath September Ti frame with laser etched graphics  ;D  ;D  ;D

Have you considered all the tools you might need ?

I assembled a complete bike recently and the only unusual tools (ie not spanners and the more obvious bike related type stuff) I needed was a headset press and a bottom bracket tool. The BB tool is something that you will almost certainly use more often than the headset press, so is probably worth buying, but a headset press is an altogether different matter. £30 odd for one use in 10 years ?  You might want to start chatting up nearby yacfers who may be able to loan you either or both of these.

Good choice on the frame btw. You won't be disappointed.
Rust never sleeps

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #630 on: 13 December, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »
Picked up a Knog Boomer front light, mainly for my commuter, as a 'be seen light'.  Hopefully will get a chance to use it in anger tomorrow.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #631 on: 13 December, 2010, 07:57:15 pm »

Have you considered all the tools you might need ?

I assembled a complete bike recently and the only unusual tools (ie not spanners and the more obvious bike related type stuff) I needed was a headset press and a bottom bracket tool. The BB tool is something that you will almost certainly use more often than the headset press, so is probably worth buying, but a headset press is an altogether different matter. £30 odd for one use in 10 years ?  You might want to start chatting up nearby yacfers who may be able to loan you either or both of these.

Good choice on the frame btw. You won't be disappointed.

There are plans afoot for a YACF fettlefest at a SICRUT BWNCWR not far from here over the Severn bridge  ;D

Even if I had the necessary tools, I lack the necessary mad skillz to actually deploy them. Some members may remember my 'how do I change my pedals?' thread which ended up in me using a dyson pipe for extra leverage  :facepalm:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #632 on: 13 December, 2010, 08:11:56 pm »
And, if memory serves, a glass or two of red wine  :D

« Reply #633 on: 13 December, 2010, 08:13:42 pm »

Yep, I wonder whether my tendency to coordinate my fettling sessions with a glass or 2 of wine is linked to my poor fettling record?  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #634 on: 13 December, 2010, 09:11:41 pm »
Yep, I wonder whether my tendency to coordinate my fettling sessions with a glass or 2 of wine is linked to my poor fettling record?  ;D

Quite likely.  You're supposed to spill blood.   ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #635 on: 13 December, 2010, 09:14:55 pm »

I assume that you are expert at fettling wine bottles? :)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #636 on: 13 December, 2010, 11:38:47 pm »
A Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit.  Very black and yellow.  Then I looked at my black and yellow bike.  And thought "People are going to think I bought this to match.  Damn."
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #637 on: 14 December, 2010, 01:01:56 am »
A Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit.  Very black and yellow.  Then I looked at my black and yellow bike.  And thought "People are going to think I bought this to match.  Damn."

haha nice  :thumbsup:

gordon taylor

« Reply #638 on: 14 December, 2010, 06:05:35 am »
I bought a £1.99 long shoe horn so that I can get my Spesh winter boots on more easily.

Does that count as cycling stuff? It hasn't got any carbon weave or even an etched logo.  :-[

Stop press>>>>> it worked well this morning!

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #639 on: 14 December, 2010, 10:26:36 am »
Gordy - I have same winter boots and also keep two separate shoe horns (one in garage, one in bedroom). Definitely counts as bike kit...
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #640 on: 14 December, 2010, 12:28:23 pm »
I gave in to temptation and spent £1k of the money I had previously allocated to a possible new kitchen on bits to make N+1 out of! Will soon be spending another £1200 on the frame  ;D

Why do we need a new kitchen? This one works fine!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #641 on: 14 December, 2010, 12:57:54 pm »
A 46T chainring and cranks (Sunrace/Sturmley Archer) a 103mm BB and a pair of wheels (all courtesy of fleabay), the wheels have gold flipflop hubs, and brown rims.  N+1 is gathering pace....

Whilst wandering round Halfords wasting some time I bought a threaded to A-headset adaptor stem (FWIW Halfords are the cheapest place to buy them, they are 12.99 inc the shim, everywhere else has them for 12.99>14.99 then another 4.99 for the shim!), brake cables, 1/8th" chain and a saddle for the same N+1, was severly tempted to buy the HUGE chrome bell they now sell....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #642 on: 16 December, 2010, 02:44:46 pm »
My quiche arrived today!
The box of stuff it arrived in felt so light I didn't think it was going to be in there  ;D
I now have a box with all my SRAM stuff in ready for my new bike build  :thumbsup:
Now waiting for the frame and seatpost to arrive and I am good to go!

« Reply #643 on: 16 December, 2010, 04:06:33 pm »
A new Bell Array helmet to replace the one I cracked last week

« Reply #644 on: 16 December, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »
I ordered a bespoke fitted tarpaulin cover to waterproof my trailer box from a local company (Seal-seam, Thame). Shopping will shortly be an all weather capability (barring deep snow).

Chain Reaction emailed this morning to say they've dispatched my new bar bag mounting facility. I only ordered it in the wee small hours today.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #645 on: 20 December, 2010, 01:53:59 pm »
The wheels have arrived, and I have been and bought 2 crank bolts, 5 M5 bolts and some glasses.

First 'cos the cranks didn't have any
Second 'cos another one has dropped off the purple bike, rear mudguards this time
Third 'cos I lost my favourite PBK ones a couple of months ago...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #646 on: 03 January, 2011, 12:51:22 pm »
A new quick release for 135mm rear wheel.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #647 on: 03 January, 2011, 12:58:36 pm »
Crud RoadRacer Mk2 mudguards for the Ribble.  Hopefully this will resolve the occasional rubbing I get from the current rear 'guards.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #648 on: 03 January, 2011, 04:56:51 pm »
I have bought a pair of Deuter Rack pack panniers using my leaving present Wiggle vouchers  :thumbsup: When I am grown up I will be able to afford Ortileb's  :'(

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #649 on: 03 January, 2011, 05:04:00 pm »
I've emailed hikebikeandride.com to ask if I can change the overshoes my dad got me for Christmas.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.