Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 864490 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #675 on: 12 January, 2011, 07:03:38 pm »
Today I bought Cycling Active Magazine - yours truly gets a mention on page 137.  :)
why ? do I need to rush out and buy it ?

spindrift

« Reply #676 on: 12 January, 2011, 07:09:30 pm »

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #677 on: 12 January, 2011, 07:14:54 pm »
Some Swissstop (or is it Swisstop?) ceramic brake pad refills arrived.  At £13 a pair I really hope they last much longer than Kool-Stop z-Chromiums, which struggle to achieve 200 miles.  The first set, when the rims were new, lasted 33 miles!

:o
hellsbells:that's rather high-maintenance

corshamjim

« Reply #678 on: 12 January, 2011, 07:21:10 pm »
Today I bought Cycling Active Magazine - yours truly gets a mention on page 137.  :)
why ? do I need to rush out and buy it ?

:)  No.

« Reply #679 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:51:53 am »
Some Swissstop (or is it Swisstop?) ceramic brake pad refills arrived.  At £13 a pair I really hope they last much longer than Kool-Stop z-Chromiums, which struggle to achieve 200 miles.  The first set, when the rims were new, lasted 33 miles!

I'm just wondering if mine need changing yet. 8,350 miles on them now, so you might see an improvement on your previous ones!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #680 on: 13 January, 2011, 10:21:12 am »
Still got £40 worth of wiggle vouchers to use from my birfday last  October.  Pity there isn't anything which tickles my fancy in the sale

« Reply #681 on: 13 January, 2011, 11:23:46 am »
I somehow managed to wheel the Surly LHT out of Brixton cycles with a much better seat post than the one it came with (saddle kept slipping and tilting) It was horribly expensive for a seat post, though...but I need a seatpost I can adjust with a multi-tool while on tour and this one is supposed to be very good.

I also got new brake blocks. The Tektro brake blocks it came with have always been total rubbish; they required me to squeeze the brakes hard to gain any kind of stopping power and they'd picked up heaps of grit and bits of aluminium :( It's a good job none of my loaded touring last year included going down big hills! The new ones are much better; he replaced the blocks with kind that take inserts because the old ones didn't. That was also rather expensive, but allegedly they are 'really good' brake blocks. I forgot the name; they might be Aztecs.

(I was cheerfully letting them do the fitting, cos the bike has free labour for a year after buying and that's coming to an end. And I hate fettling anyway.

I hope you have noticed that my winter boots are doing a fab job of keeping the cold weather away!

« Reply #682 on: 13 January, 2011, 11:35:19 am »

I hope you have noticed that my winter boots are doing a fab job of keeping the cold weather away!

We are all suitably grateful
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #683 on: 13 January, 2011, 11:40:07 am »

Have you got the same as Jane and Aunty Helen? Shimano MT90?  Anyway, Mrs. Hall decided that electric feet warmers weren't the thing she wanted after all and I managed to get some MT90s for her. This despite being superseded by the MT91. Reports so far are that they're very good and result in toasty toes. A bit on the pricy side mind you. I'm sure they're suffering from "put cycling on the label and add £30 to the price".
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Chris S

« Reply #684 on: 13 January, 2011, 11:43:03 am »
MT90s + Sealskinz socks = Warm AND dry, even on a cold rainy 200k audax  :thumbsup:

« Reply #685 on: 13 January, 2011, 11:54:40 am »

Have you got the same as Jane and Aunty Helen? Shimano MT90?  Anyway, Mrs. Hall decided that electric feet warmers weren't the thing she wanted after all and I managed to get some MT90s for her. This despite being superseded by the MT91. Reports so far are that they're very good and result in toasty toes. A bit on the pricy side mind you. I'm sure they're suffering from "put cycling on the label and add £30 to the price".

No MT90s to be found in my size so I got MT91s. Luckily I found them with a discount on one site so 'only' paid £108 but yes, you are basically paying for the fact that they are sturdy walking boots with the means to fit a cleat on the bottom. Of course they have been very toasty indeed on my commute today but then it is a balmy 12 degrees in Londontown so that was hardly a challenge.

I am trying to procure some black rubber gloves to cut the cuffs off to seal off the tops, because I can see how they would easily fill up in heavy rain. Local supermarket only has them in medium and that isn't big enough for legs...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #686 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:52:30 pm »
Got some 25mm Krylions and Orange/Grey Pro race from chainreaction

The pro race were cheap and a nice colour to match my summer commute bike
The Krylions seem to sell out in 25mm quite quick and chainreaction had then at a good price

« Reply #687 on: 13 January, 2011, 02:04:12 pm »
On behalf on my boss, I purchased a pair of brake blocks incl. fitting from Oxford's famed Bike Doctor.

The BD is hard at work in the basement parking garage right now, and I just had a wet-concrete/slippy-turning/arsey-elbow incident, losing whatever small sum of LBS street cred I may ever have possessed.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #688 on: 13 January, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »
8 inner tubes ready for the new season of the FNRttC (just in case), brought from Evans at half price.  

Red boxes, pre-talc'd in line with Mr Legg-Bandage's list of ideal requirements.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #689 on: 13 January, 2011, 07:51:40 pm »
Krylions get a huge write up in Cycling + tho apparently quite difficult to get hold of
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #690 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:40:50 pm »
Whacking great Kryptonite D-lock and cable combo. Proved very useful, as that particular bike shop was on my way into town and I was leaving the bike there most of the afternoon  :thumbsup:

« Reply #691 on: 15 January, 2011, 10:09:28 pm »
A seat pin, 26.0. I think that I might now have everything bar a chain. Next job, painting.

« Reply #692 on: 16 January, 2011, 12:10:53 am »
A visit to Corridori, hopefully by the time of the next FNRttC to Bognor I will have a bike I can easily lift over the kissing gates. now to decide if I am going to fit a BM Cyo and swap SON wheels around as required or just get a battery lights.

« Reply #693 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:12:23 am »
A visit to Corridori, hopefully by the time of the next FNRttC to Bognor I will have a bike I can easily lift over the kissing gates. now to decide if I am going to fit a BM Cyo and swap SON wheels around as required or just get a battery lights.

Excellent, that is what we need more Ti.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #694 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:27:08 am »
Snapped my SRAM PC1N chain after a mere 9 months yestereday. I was not carrying any spare links (bad Manotea) and forced to make an emergency taxi ride to my nearest Halfords. Bike now sporting a BMX chain made from girders. That should hold for a while.

« Reply #695 on: 16 January, 2011, 09:42:07 am »
Shimano Hollowtech bottom bracket and some Endura Dexter overshoes.
Park pedal spanner.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #696 on: 16 January, 2011, 05:15:36 pm »
I've just invested in a set of Thorn 155mm cranks for the 'bent.  No idea if they'll help with my knee problems, but they're something I've been wanting to try anyway.

While I was at it, a spare Marathon in 40-406, which I will need at some point, and saves the shipping.

gordon taylor

« Reply #697 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:03:49 pm »
I bought an FSA single speed crankset from Chain Reaction for £30!!! That was a pleasant surprise after looking at all the other stuff that started at twice the price on other sites.

« Reply #698 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:15:46 pm »
Not today, but this week, shimano ultegra 10 speed shifters, £135pr from Chain Reaction.
The Colnago build starts here!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #699 on: 16 January, 2011, 09:12:42 pm »
I bought an FSA single speed crankset from Chain Reaction for £30!!! That was a pleasant surprise after looking at all the other stuff that started at twice the price on other sites.

I've seen snotty comments about them on LFGSS, but haven't yet had any reason to replace the ones that came with my Madison (and I've replaced almost everything else on the bike).
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher