Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 862900 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #850 on: 10 March, 2011, 07:46:01 pm »
Mitts.

Specialized BG-as-much-gel-as-you-can-get-into-them mitts.

On offer from Evans.

EDIT - Dithering whether or not I should order a second pair...

... my two year old ones are starting to *sigh* every time I put them on.

« Reply #851 on: 10 March, 2011, 07:50:44 pm »
Oh forgot to say... ordered new super galaxy from Spa and saved a lot of money doing so  :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #852 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:03:51 pm »
Oh forgot to say... ordered new super galaxy from Spa and saved a lot of money doing so  :thumbsup:

Woooo exciting news!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #853 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:22:27 pm »
I took delivery of a very big box at work, which had 2 very nice & round All Condition Pro Armadillo Elite tyres inside.  Complete with red band all the way round.  I went for 25's rather than 23 for that extra bit of comfort.   ;)

Also in the box was a big supply of mega long valve inner tubes, as I'd found out last week that the pre-talced Specialized ones I'd bought the other week were just too small for my track pump to stay on easily due to my deep rims.  So these ones are 60mm - and only £2.99 each currently at Evans.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #854 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:26:46 pm »
A large pannier full of flour and butter and sugar and chocolate and lemon curd and eggs and dried fruit and oranges and lemons.

Well, it'll be cycling stuff once it's turned into CAKE, won't it?

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #855 on: 14 March, 2011, 01:54:35 pm »
The £18 Rolson 60-960 inch lb 3/4inch drive torque wrench I bought from ebay arrived by mr postman today!   :thumbsup:  Just need to get a socket adaptor so I can use allen bits on it.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #856 on: 14 March, 2011, 03:24:09 pm »
Lidl have their cycling stuff.  Got a gilet and a magic hat

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #857 on: 14 March, 2011, 05:01:27 pm »
Brian. I sincerely hope that was a 1/4" drive torque wrench you got or do you habitually strip and rebuild locomotives for a hobby?  :o

Got some TOOLZ, fed up with trying to cut Shimano outer so I got an  IceToolz cable shear along with a drift to remove headset cups.

I haz skillz. Ho! Yuss!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #858 on: 14 March, 2011, 06:42:30 pm »
I was in Go Outdoors this morning getting a mucho reduced new Berghaus fleece, and while I was there got some Muc-off, degreaser and PFTE water displacing lube stuff, plus some chain lube for neither soaking wet nor dry conditions (a bit optimistic here methinks), and a really tiny light keying gizmo that has pliers and wire cutters on it. I realised that my multi-tool was excellent but lacked the necessary cutty sharp and grippy things to fettle broken cables. I have never had one of these but I now carry a spare and sooner or later I will get to deploy it on an ill-prepared fellow CTC member's bike if they are really unlucky  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #859 on: 14 March, 2011, 07:37:44 pm »
If it's small, light and actually up to cutting brake cables, then I'd be interested to know exactly what it is...

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #860 on: 14 March, 2011, 07:47:51 pm »
Lidl:  shorts (fine as commuting liners); jersey; panniers.  £26.

« Reply #861 on: 17 March, 2011, 02:41:51 pm »
One of these for Helen:- Smart Lunar 35 Lux Front Light / Black £14.99 and some "Eurostyle Chamois Butt'r" (see what they did there ?) from Wiggle for me. Wiggle also enclosed some Haribo which lasted a couple of minutes...........

Big praise for my Postie: I was collecting the light from the PO when he tried to deliver the Butt'r so, card in hand I went to look for him. He'd stashed the parcel for taking back but he agreed to go and collect it and drop it off later. Which he's just done  :thumbsup: .

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #862 on: 17 March, 2011, 04:53:43 pm »
Bought two of these

Wiggle | Cateye Rear Carrier Mounting Light Spares

to carry one of these

Cateye  - Tl-ld1100 - Tl-ld1100

on either the Longstaff or the tandem

corshamjim

« Reply #863 on: 17 March, 2011, 06:25:15 pm »
I bought a light for a rack too - a B&M one to replace the Cateye which I stole off the Pashley to put on the Trek.

I seem to have ended up with far more rear lights than I actually need.  I'd better go looking for some bicycles to put them on.  ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #864 on: 17 March, 2011, 06:41:43 pm »
500x10mm M5 socket head bolts and 100x20mm M5 socket head bolts.

At the rate I lose them from my mudguards (as anyone who has accompanied me on recent rides will attest), that many should last me til the end of the year, just :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #865 on: 17 March, 2011, 06:48:40 pm »
An FSA 'Felice Gimondi' chainset arrived in the post from Dotbike

« Reply #866 on: 17 March, 2011, 07:52:02 pm »
I seem to have ended up with far more rear lights than I actually need.  I'd better go looking for some bicycles to put them on.  ;D

Quality N+1 justification there!

petermullen46

« Reply #867 on: 18 March, 2011, 06:30:48 am »
25 litre Panniers from Sjs on eBay. £ 14 delivered. They are not ortlieb but looks like they will do a great job. Can't grumble for that price

« Reply #868 on: 19 March, 2011, 08:52:32 pm »
I had parcels today  ;D

A 2nd pair of Assos shorts- they look very nice but didn't come with the free samples of wash stuff and chamois creme  :o I think only the bib shorts come with the freebies. These ones are black all over. Hopefully my bum won't look big in them, not that many people tend to ride behind me  ;)

Some bar end caps because I lost one of mine already.

A spare Durano Plus 25mm tyre. I was a bit concerned because my front one had a faerie visitation on the Wye Wednesday from a sharp piece of flint, and I can still see the little gash in it where it cut in. It has however remaining inflated since my roadside_in-pouring_rain fettle, but I thought I should have a new tyre standing by just in case.

« Reply #869 on: 20 March, 2011, 05:05:36 pm »
Lotions and potions

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #870 on: 20 March, 2011, 06:21:18 pm »
From Brick Lane Bikes, a new crankset to replace the old cranks which died on yesterday's FNRttC.  This required a new bottom bracket as well, not just for proper alignment but because the old BB was damaged by the crank failure.

This means the frame, forks and seat-post are the only remaining parts of the original bike ;)
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #871 on: 20 March, 2011, 07:56:18 pm »
If it's small, light and actually up to cutting brake cables, then I'd be interested to know exactly what it is...

I've used my leatherman for that on FNRttCs, but it's not that small, and it's certainly not cheap!

From Brick Lane Bikes, a new crankset to replace the old cranks which died on yesterday's FNRttC.  This required a new bottom bracket as well, not just for proper alignment but because the old BB was damaged by the crank failure. ...

Bugger. :( I was afraid that would happen.  I once partially killed a crank like that.  When the crank came loose, it distorted the shape of the relatively soft metal, but the BB itself was OK, since it's normally quite a bit harder than the crank.  I kept on using it, but the two cranks weren't quite 180° apart any more!

I just opened up a parcel that was left on my doorstep for when I got home from the FNRttC post ride drinkies.

It's a Shimano tool for undoing SPD pedals.  I've got several spare sets of pedals, but I may see if it's worth repairing the ones on the Kaffenback, which currently have a couple of mms of play!

I may have buggered the ball races, in which case they'll go in the bin, but if I can just replace the bearings, and get them back to some degree of reasonableness, that'll be OK.  The tool was only £2.24 from ProBikeKit, so it's a relatively cheap experiment.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #872 on: 20 March, 2011, 07:59:22 pm »
Sports bra to replace one that catastrophically failed last week, some water bottles that hopefully won't leak or smell vaguely of mushrooms, and a supply of chamois cream.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #873 on: 20 March, 2011, 08:20:43 pm »

It's a Shimano tool for undoing SPD pedals.  I've got several spare sets of pedals, but I may see if it's worth repairing the ones on the Kaffenback, which currently have a couple of mms of play!

I may have buggered the ball races, in which case they'll go in the bin, but if I can just replace the bearings, and get them back to some degree of reasonableness, that'll be OK.  The tool was only £2.24 from ProBikeKit, so it's a relatively cheap experiment.

Is that this one?  Probikekit.com | Crank Bottom Bracket and Pedal Tools | SPD axle removal tool ?

I could probably do with giving the spd axle bearings a clean up and regrease on the Shimano A530 single sides spds which are on my dawes horizon, and the M520 spds on my Lemond Etape racer.

« Reply #874 on: 20 March, 2011, 08:52:58 pm »
Is that this one?  Probikekit.com | Crank Bottom Bracket and Pedal Tools | SPD axle removal tool ?

I could probably do with giving the spd axle bearings a clean up and regrease on the Shimano A530 single sides spds which are on my dawes horizon, and the M520 spds on my Lemond Etape racer.

That's the doodad, the £2-24 figure is before VAT, so it's £2-69 with VAT, and P&P is free if you're not in a rush (it only took a couple of days to arrive).

I've mostly got M520s universally on my bikes, the only exception is the Snow Bike which has Decathlon half'n'half pedals, so I can just use bog standard flat shoes should I want to.
Actually, it is rocket science.