Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865310 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1050 on: 24 May, 2011, 07:36:56 am »
Just bought some tyres. Cyclesurgery tuesday timeout has 50% off offer for today only.

CycleSurgery.com - Timeout Tuesday

« Reply #1051 on: 24 May, 2011, 08:03:41 am »
Thanks - Continental and Panaracer all included, so GP4S at £20 each  :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1052 on: 24 May, 2011, 08:11:16 am »
Thanks - Continental and Panaracer all included, so GP4S at £20 each  :thumbsup:

Good call - just stocked up on 28mm GPS4S - real bargain.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1053 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:56:50 am »
FSA Gimondi Chainset for the new fixed project.

I bought one of them in March. Going to turn it to a double for L'eroica, then revert to fixed afterwards. It has a lovely retro look to it :)

Very much :)  Since I'm converting an 80s frame, I thought I'd go for that kind of look (and 3/32" instead of 1/8").  If I ever change the chainring, I'll need to find something that is in keeping.  TA and Surly both seem to have good matches, at the moment.

I wish finding the right bars/stem/brake combination were as easy.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1054 on: 26 May, 2011, 02:47:35 pm »
I received a box of Torq energy gels, in Rhubarb and Custard flavour, which are actually not bad.

I just ordered a pair of red hubs, which at some point in the future can be used to make some red wheels, to make Red even redder!

I just need to find some red rims and spokes.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1055 on: 26 May, 2011, 02:49:46 pm »
Have you got the barbag?   :D

« Reply #1056 on: 26 May, 2011, 02:55:12 pm »
I got a new helmet today. My nice pink one is getting rather grotty, but unfortunately giro seem to have stopped doing pink so I now have a lovely blue Ionos. I also got some spokes for TGL's bike, a rear light for my fast bike having gone out without one and some raceblades because it started raining as I reached the end of our street ::-).

Also a nice cup of tea with the delightful Paul Smith :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1057 on: 26 May, 2011, 02:59:19 pm »
:) :thumbsup:

Wish I were shopping for bike bits instead of writing letters to complete numpties :(
Getting there...

« Reply #1058 on: 26 May, 2011, 03:00:04 pm »
Brakes.
You never know when you might want to use some.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1059 on: 26 May, 2011, 03:01:04 pm »
Brakes.
You never know when you might want to use some.

Something tha tis better to fit BEFORE you need them, than after :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1060 on: 27 May, 2011, 01:53:35 pm »
I just ordered one of these GPS tracking lights.

Whether they've actually got any stock, and how well they work, remains to be seen, but I'm willing to try it out, and if it works OK, I'll probably buy some more.

« Reply #1061 on: 27 May, 2011, 02:04:51 pm »

Whether they've actually got any stock, and how well they work, remains to be seen, but I'm willing to try it out, and if it works OK, I'll probably buy some more.

That looks a really excellent little gizmo TimO, please let us know how you get on with it!
It would be handy to know whether the tracking website works on a mobile phone's browser.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #1062 on: 27 May, 2011, 02:26:23 pm »

Nifty gadget but the website doesn't inspire confidence that the company and their free website/alert service will be around very long.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #1063 on: 27 May, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »

That looks very like what we used on farm machinery that had a tendancy to "stray".
It worked well enough that we recovered a JCB & 2 Kubota RTVs.
We also got a shedload of texts telling us things we didn't need to know when numpties in the field forgot to turn it off...

« Reply #1064 on: 27 May, 2011, 05:31:08 pm »
Nifty gadget but the website doesn't inspire confidence that the company and their free website/alert service will be around very long.

Whilst you need the website to do things like pretty tracking on Google Maps, you can get the device to just send you it's location via an SMS.  It's totally independent of any external infrastructure for that.

You can also remotely enable or disable tracking, should you forget to set it up to trigger on movement.

« Reply #1065 on: 27 May, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »
My 40t chainring arrived today. It's going on to the Pompino soon. That means that the combination of the Sturmey Archer AW3 hub abd 22t rear sprocket should see me up most hills.

I ordered a pannier anti-sway hook & rail from Carradice, but all that turned up was the hook, without explanation. As it happens, I didn't want the rail, but it's still not very good service, even if they didn't charge for it.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1066 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:53:30 pm »
A big box arrived today whilst I was out at a meeting.

It looks like it might be full of wheels!!!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1067 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »
A big box arrived today whilst I was out at a meeting.

It looks like it might be full of wheels!!!

That sounds like a variation on 2001:

- Oh my God - it's full of wheels!

;D

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1068 on: 28 May, 2011, 11:31:29 pm »
A vintage (late 70s) TI Raleigh Campagnolo short-sleeve jersey, spotted in a vintage shop near Covent Garden. Fits very nicely.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1069 on: 29 May, 2011, 02:07:56 pm »
A bike!!!

And I spotted Aidan(as it was he who was selling me the bike), so he does exist, despite what I may have previously stated! :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

corshamjim

« Reply #1070 on: 29 May, 2011, 02:21:28 pm »
A couple of 16" inner tubes for the trailer and a pair of cable cutters - at last I might be able to fit a new cable without making a complete bodge of it!  ;D

« Reply #1071 on: 29 May, 2011, 03:50:43 pm »
New chain from Wiggle
New bell from The Old Bicycle Co
New sunglass's from Planet X

All P&P free  :)

« Reply #1072 on: 30 May, 2011, 11:41:50 am »
A pair of Shimano sandals and yes I have the beard (for to many years to remember with any decency  :o)
   Just waiting for delivery after Chain Reactions compooter disaster,
                                                 :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1073 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:07:19 am »
Just picked up a couple of parcels from the post office.

4 continental 4 season 28mm tyres from cycle surgery's offer last week - £80 for 4 tyres!

More exciting is the nelson longflap from carradice (it is a Janet) that will, hopefully be big enough for my trip to France in august. Looks massive compared to my barley! I didn't want to go bigger as you do always fill whatever bag you have.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #1074 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:38:15 pm »
According to the email that Planet-X sent this morning, my delivery is on it's way.

That's quite impressive, given that I received it last week (on Friday I think). :-\