Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 863717 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1175 on: 01 July, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »

The Alfine anti-turn washers are on back-order until the end of July(!) so the conversion will be going precisely nowhere unless I can source some sooner. The one possible up-side to this is that my orange bar tape will arrive early next week ;D

Have you got horizontal or vertical drop outs? I may have some spare anti-turns for horizontal drop outs.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1176 on: 01 July, 2011, 10:39:25 pm »

The Alfine anti-turn washers are on back-order until the end of July(!) so the conversion will be going precisely nowhere unless I can source some sooner. The one possible up-side to this is that my orange bar tape will arrive early next week ;D

Have you got horizontal or vertical drop outs? I may have some spare anti-turns for horizontal drop outs.
Horizontal (track-ends) - the ones I'm specifically after are 6R/6L (silver/white).
If you happen to have a set, send me a PM and I'll gladly cross your palm with beer tokens.

« Reply #1177 on: 01 July, 2011, 11:39:05 pm »
Wandered into Condor's yesterday and asked for tub cement. Bloke behind the counter paused for a long moment before saying, "Ah! Yes. I had to think about that."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1178 on: 02 July, 2011, 03:17:10 pm »
Velocipede, touring, qty 1.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1179 on: 02 July, 2011, 06:26:23 pm »

Well spillnthe beans. What is it? We want pictures!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1180 on: 02 July, 2011, 06:29:04 pm »
Alfine fitting kit. One.
Bike fettling, for the use of.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #1181 on: 02 July, 2011, 08:51:17 pm »

Well, not exactly 'bought'; more 'ordered and put down a deposit'.

If all goes to plan, by the end of August I should have a Hewitt Cheviot SE in a lovely shade of dark green (flamboyant).  I have diverted from the standard spec a bit. Plenty of pics once I've got the bike.

« Reply #1182 on: 03 July, 2011, 12:02:59 pm »

Well, not exactly 'bought'; more 'ordered and put down a deposit'.

If all goes to plan, by the end of August I should have a Hewitt Cheviot SE in a lovely shade of dark green (flamboyant).  I have diverted from the standard spec a bit. Plenty of pics once I've got the bike.

I thought you might have gone for the hot pink (very flamboyant) after seeing GillP's on the Hampshire Campshire trip a couple of years ago.

« Reply #1183 on: 03 July, 2011, 12:14:55 pm »
My warranty replacement IQ Cyo arrived. A note from Jeff at bikeplus said he assumed they were replacing it due to the water ingress making it not repairable. I'm happy to have a brand new light for the 2nd bike now :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1184 on: 03 July, 2011, 05:46:49 pm »
A Topeak drybag for HK's phone and yet another spoke key (I just like having a wide variety of spoke keys).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1185 on: 03 July, 2011, 11:43:23 pm »
I bought an Ortlieb 10 litre water bag and an extra large top for my extra large torso.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #1186 on: 04 July, 2011, 12:05:54 am »
'Time' to find out if dispensing with SPDs can help my knees.  A pair of ATAC Aliums is on its way.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1187 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:35:48 am »
Couple of replacement Race Lite Hardcase 700x23. 

Noticed during the the weekend pre-commute check that the rear is down to the canvas in one spot.  Reasonably content with durability at 9,500 miles. The front's getting pretty cut up now so may as well bite the bullet and do both, especially as we're off to flint bestrewn Kent in a couple of weeks time.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1188 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:43:43 am »
'Time' to find out if dispensing with SPDs can help my knees.  A pair of ATAC Aliums is on its way.
I made the switch from SPDs to ATACs for this very reason.

In other news, Chain Reaction have dispatched my Alfine fitting kit  :thumbsup:
Just need the orange bar tape to turn up now.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1189 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:48:35 am »
n+1

(For the smallest cub - should be here in 4 weeks!)

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1190 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:09:05 am »
Fabulous news! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #1191 on: 04 July, 2011, 12:34:44 pm »
New gear cables as the outers on one were looking a little cracked, which might have had something to do with the reluctance to shift up yesterday (exacerbated by being slightly off-line due to bar bag).
Also the smaller of the two hydration packs I was considering.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #1192 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:40:08 am »
This new bike is costing more than I originally expected, but as I can afford to put better bits on it, that's what I'm doing.  I've just ordered:
* SONdelux silver disc 36h
* B&M D' Toplight Plus LED Rear light
* B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo Senso Plus LED Front light
* B&M E-Werk 361

I *think* that's the last of of big purchases, only minor things like pump and bottles left to sort out.

« Reply #1193 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:33:09 pm »
Thought you would have gone for Crank Bros, (although replacing cleats every 3000 miles is annoying

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #1194 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:43:47 am »
Thought you would have gone for Crank Bros, (although replacing cleats every 3000 miles is annoying)

I was tempted but, because of this sort of anecdotal evidence:

I made the switch from SPDs to ATACs for this very reason.

and reading about CB's use of Delrin bushings in lieu of needle bearings, and axle failures and the like, I didn't.  In another world I'd've bought Frogs perhaps.

I'm pondering buying another Middleburn chainring for my mtb, too, seeing as last winter apparently didn't just kill my chain and sprockets.  And of course, it would be daft not to buy at the same time for my Lightning a replacement FSA chainring, as that'll be wearing out in a few months' time along with the chain that's just gone over the 0.75% elongation stage.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

LindaG

« Reply #1195 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:14:18 am »
A spacebar.  It takes forever, fiddling around getting a map in and out of my pocket, and doesn't help with the whole 'wrong turns' business.  I kept Deano waiting for hours last week after my unscheduled visit to Walltown Crags.  He was so nice about it, but it was the difference between a soaking and a not-soaking.  With my map easily visible I'd have checked my position earlier.

Ah, well, live and learn.  A map holder made audaxing much easier, and it is sure to help on the hols as well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1196 on: 06 July, 2011, 01:36:10 pm »
One of those camelback right-angular bite valves with the turny-offy bit.  Because my Ortlieb one has got the dribbles.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1197 on: 06 July, 2011, 01:49:32 pm »
Hmm.  That happens with age.
Getting there...

« Reply #1198 on: 06 July, 2011, 04:47:48 pm »
I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to swap my Fuji hybrid over to drop bars. One of the least comfy things about this bike was the wrist angle the flat bars gave me. I've ridden it 85 miles this week and decided I want it more like my Sabbath, especially since I am taking it on the Sem Fed (partly because it has a rack, and partly because I don't want to risk anything happening to the Sabbath so close to PBP e.g. being stolen!). The Fuji is currently my commuting bike.

I have therefore ordered new bars, stem, Spesh Bar Phat tape, Shimano 105 STI shifters and a new set of cables. Oh and a torque wrench so I no longer have to guess how tight I am doing things up :)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #1199 on: 06 July, 2011, 04:52:55 pm »
I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to swap my Fuji hybrid over to drop bars.

::-)  :D  :thumbsup:

At this rythm you will be riding fixed in 6 months and a trike in 9!
Chief cat entertainer.