Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 99357 times)

simonp

Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #125 on: 28 February, 2012, 03:17:46 pm »
It does look as though it's been resurfaced recently in that view, to be fair.

« Reply #126 on: 28 February, 2012, 03:19:12 pm »
Got me worried with this bit now - I'm going to break into a nervous sweat and drop to granny ring at every little red postbox.  Will keep me distracted, I suppose.  ;D

« Reply #127 on: 28 February, 2012, 03:21:20 pm »
It all sounds "good fun"   I shall set up a proximity waypoint on the GPS - which will remind me to disengage the "gears" and engage "The Winch" TM

« Reply #128 on: 28 February, 2012, 03:22:22 pm »
I only have four words for you lot: Free. Route. Between. Controls.

simonp

« Reply #130 on: 28 February, 2012, 03:24:21 pm »

Approach the YHA from behind? I thought someone had tried this and decided it was a bad idea?

« Reply #131 on: 28 February, 2012, 03:25:25 pm »

Is the basic deal that you do it as a 400 up the Western leg ( control @YH, continue to Menai Bridge, and loop back to YH again ) grab a bit of kip and then a 200 home down the Eastern leg?

As everyone else is ignoring you Feanor, yes, except that it’s not quite 400 before the YH, and more than 200 afterwards.  Also, it’s 619km rather than 600km, and, as with all over-distance events, the extra comes at the end when you’re tired rather than the beginning when you’re fresh. 

In the past I’ve tended to get back to Kings YH at about 2:30-3:30 and left at 6:30-7:00.  There will be more than 50% of the field who have arrived before me, but there are always some people coming in as I’m leaving, and they usually manage to finish in time. 

The ride on the A470 (I think) to get from Maentwrog to the YH is usually the most gruelling cycling I experience every year, purely because of tiredness (and a tedious climb to Trawsfynnydd).  Conversely, day 2 of the BCM is always a highlight of the cycling year, because I’ve always felt so good – at least as far as the 600km mark.

One of the highlights is the final control at Weobley.  By then you’re back in England, so the roads are rougher but the weather is better.  The control is a receipt from the village shop, but there’s a village green opposite and you’ll find quite a few relaxed BCMers, relaxing and chatting in the afternoon sun, some lazing in the blossom-strewn greensward, supping their Frijjs and munching on their Ginsters, job nearly done.  It may not be quite so relaxed for those behind, or for those ahead who raced and are home while I’m still doing my greensward-lazing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #132 on: 28 February, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »

Approach the YHA from behind? I thought someone had tried this and decided it was a bad idea?

I have indeed
It's a little hillier overall, but with superb views of the N flank of Cader Idris. The road is signposted NCN as you leave Dolgellau, but it's a "R no sp" onto the narrow track down to the YH, so beware.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #133 on: 28 February, 2012, 03:35:09 pm »
Goodness me - this is one of the hottest threads on YACF this afternoon. You'd think the ride was this coming Saturday, not three months away  :o.

Ain't you people got anything better to do?  ;)

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #134 on: 28 February, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »

Is the basic deal that you do it as a 400 up the Western leg ( control @YH, continue to Menai Bridge, and loop back to YH again ) grab a bit of kip and then a 200 home down the Eastern leg?

As everyone else is ignoring you Feanor, yes, except that it’s not quite 400 before the YH, and more than 200 afterwards.  Also, it’s 619km rather than 600km, and, as with all over-distance events, the extra comes at the end when you’re tired rather than the beginning when you’re fresh. 

In the past I’ve tended to get back to Kings YH at about 2:30-3:30 and left at 6:30-7:00.  There will be more than 50% of the field who have arrived before me, but there are always some people coming in as I’m leaving, and they usually manage to finish in time. 

The ride on the A470 (I think) to get from Maentwrog to the YH is usually the most gruelling cycling I experience every year, purely because of tiredness (and a tedious climb to Trawsfynnydd).  Conversely, day 2 of the BCM is always a highlight of the cycling year, because I’ve always felt so good – at least as far as the 600km mark.

One of the highlights is the final control at Weobley.  By then you’re back in England, so the roads are rougher but the weather is better.  The control is a receipt from the village shop, but there’s a village green opposite and you’ll find quite a few relaxed BCMers, relaxing and chatting in the afternoon sun, some lazing in the blossom-strewn greensward, supping their Frijjs and munching on their Ginsters, job nearly done.  It may not be quite so relaxed for those behind, or for those ahead who raced and are home while I’m still doing my greensward-lazing.

Weobley 2011 ...near the back of the field!

appearing in a tea room near you

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #135 on: 28 February, 2012, 03:47:48 pm »
Weobley's a tough neighborhood - someone's stolen that bloke's cleats.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Euan Uzami

« Reply #136 on: 28 February, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »
as regards the yha turn i've found the main thing you need to do is make sure you brake before you turn in, not while, in order to accelerate out. The last thing you want to do is still be slowing down after you've crossed the line at the edge of the main road!

« Reply #137 on: 28 February, 2012, 04:09:02 pm »
The approach to the hostel, especially the second time, is the worst part of the ride. I could almost bear it if it was just a steady climb up but the fact that it goes up, then down, then up again knocks the stuffing out of me.

(The turning by the old forge is a sod too, if you meet a car coming the other way!)

Basically you need to be in 1st gear before the red post box or you will spend the next 30 seconds desperately mangling your gears, ripping your thighs apart or just toppling off.

It's an absolutely beautiful lane to ride along though, every time I hear running water over rocks I get a flashback to this wonderful lane (it is a bloody slog in places though).

1st Gear NOW!!!

Ridable on a tandem, do you think?

Yes.  Shouldn't even need 1st gear if you ride a triple.  It's a lot less worrying than the exit from the Barmouth Bridge onto the main road - view is restricted until some time after you need to commit to the turn on a tandem.  Best if the stoker is prepared to grab the wall to hold you both up if there is traffic.  Alternatively, if Damon is there taking pictures, he will wave you through.

Also, the descent at Cross Foxes on day 2 can be done at over 60mph on tandem.  Make sure the pilot is fully awake for that one though.

simonp

« Reply #138 on: 28 February, 2012, 04:21:52 pm »

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #139 on: 28 February, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »
Defeated me on 71" fixed that did. Only hill I walked between may and October.

For a (little) bit of fun, on the return leg

a)  go left from the YH, and continue up the huh?WTF??*GRUNT*Arrgh!! humple, L@T, and rejoin in Dolgellau  ;D
b) take Fron Serth (sp Hospital) from Dolgellau, up to Cross Foxes
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #140 on: 28 February, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »

Thanks, Nuncio.

Not everyone was ignoring my question!   MattH was kind enough to reply too.
To be fair, my Q. just happened to be the last post on a page, so it gets lost easily.

Thanks to you both.

I've been considering this for a few weeks now, and I'm in the process of galvanising myself to actually make the commitment.

Your timings look about right for me.
The Snow Roads 300 took me 16 hours, with a bit of a headwind around part of the course.  I'd have expected to be round in 14 - 15 hours otherwise.
Lumpy 200k takes me 10 hours.
Lumpy 100k takes me about 4.5 hours.
I've never done 400, so I'd have estimated 15 + 5, giving about 20 hours, getting me into the YH around 2:00, but I expect your times are more realistic.
Not sure about how I'll get on doing 200 ish the next day!

simonp

« Reply #141 on: 28 February, 2012, 05:59:17 pm »
396km. Sleep. 225km.

« Reply #142 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:03:24 pm »

I have indeed
It's a little hillier overall, but with superb views of the N flank of Cader Idris. The road is signposted NCN as you leave Dolgellau, but it's a "R no sp" onto the narrow track down to the YH, so beware.

The question is - would you go that way again?

« Reply #143 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:03:36 pm »
396km. Sleep. 225km.

There is a possibility I might be able to sleep during the actual riding, I wonder if you will notice?  :D

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #144 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:09:17 pm »
I have indeed

The question is - would you go that way again?
Cautious yes - provided I was in good time, with good weather etc (no point going a scenic way if you can't see above 300m). Might not bother on the return leg!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #145 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:10:32 pm »
The approach to the hostel, especially the second time, is the worst part of the ride. I could almost bear it if it was just a steady climb up but the fact that it goes up, then down, then up again knocks the stuffing out of me.

(The turning by the old forge is a sod too, if you meet a car coming the other way!)

Basically you need to be in 1st gear before the red post box or you will spend the next 30 seconds desperately mangling your gears, ripping your thighs apart or just toppling off.

It's an absolutely beautiful lane to ride along though, every time I hear running water over rocks I get a flashback to this wonderful lane (it is a bloody slog in places though).

1st Gear NOW!!!

Ridable on a tandem, do you think?

Yes.  Shouldn't even need 1st gear if you ride a triple.  It's a lot less worrying than the exit from the Barmouth Bridge onto the main road - view is restricted until some time after you need to commit to the turn on a tandem.  Best if the stoker is prepared to grab the wall to hold you both up if there is traffic.  Alternatively, if Damon is there taking pictures, he will wave you through.

Also, the descent at Cross Foxes on day 2 can be done at over 60mph on tandem.  Make sure the pilot is fully awake for that one though.

Thanks for that  :thumbsup:
Stoker grabbing wall??  :o

simonp

« Reply #146 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:14:03 pm »
See the second street view pic. There is no pavement so it's straight out onto the road at a blind junction at the top of a steep path. And it's narrow.

« Reply #147 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:17:39 pm »
See the second street view pic. There is no pavement so it's straight out onto the road at a blind junction at the top of a steep path. And it's narrow.

The last time we approached a blind junction at the top of a steep path it didn't go so well  ;D

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #148 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:19:35 pm »
I'm impressed by this attention to detail; I'm hoping you'll know which shelves the Friij-n-Ginsters are on at each garage over Easter.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

simonp

« Reply #149 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:19:51 pm »

The last time we approached a blind junction at the top of a steep path it didn't go so well  ;D

I think Damn's removed his youtube video featuring me nearly falling off there. :(