Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 99356 times)

simonp

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #151 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »
I've been considering this for a few weeks now, and I'm in the process of galvanising myself to actually make the commitment.

Your timings look about right for me.
The Snow Roads 300 took me 16 hours, with a bit of a headwind around part of the course.  I'd have expected to be round in 14 - 15 hours otherwise.
Lumpy 200k takes me 10 hours.
Lumpy 100k takes me about 4.5 hours.
I've never done 400, so I'd have estimated 15 + 5, giving about 20 hours, getting me into the YH around 2:00, but I expect your times are more realistic.
Not sure about how I'll get on doing 200 ish the next day!

You should have no problem.  On my qualifiers last year:
The Full Monty 200 took me 10 hours (4000m climbing)
The Hailsham 300 took me 14.5 hours IIRC.  I then had a bike/car interface and spent a couple of weeks not really cycling.
The BCM classic took me 32.5 hours, with 30 minutes' sleep at the youth hostel. 
(My 400 was done the week after the BCM, and was done very slowly!)

It's a fun route, and with those sorts of times you should get round with no problems.  Also, don't worry about the climb up to the youth hostel.  It may be a bit steep but it's no Hardknott Pass. 

« Reply #152 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:56:14 pm »
I've been considering this for a few weeks now, and I'm in the process of galvanising myself to actually make the commitment.

Your timings look about right for me.
The Snow Roads 300 took me 16 hours, with a bit of a headwind around part of the course.  I'd have expected to be round in 14 - 15 hours otherwise.
Lumpy 200k takes me 10 hours.
Lumpy 100k takes me about 4.5 hours.
I've never done 400, so I'd have estimated 15 + 5, giving about 20 hours, getting me into the YH around 2:00, but I expect your times are more realistic.
Not sure about how I'll get on doing 200 ish the next day!

You should have no problem.  On my qualifiers last year:
The Full Monty 200 took me 10 hours (4000m climbing)
The Hailsham 300 took me 14.5 hours IIRC.  I then had a bike/car interface and spent a couple of weeks not really cycling.
The BCM classic took me 32.5 hours, with 30 minutes' sleep at the youth hostel. 
(My 400 was done the week after the BCM, and was done very slowly!)

It's a fun route, and with those sorts of times you should get round with no problems.  Also, don't worry about the climb up to the youth hostel.  It may be a bit steep but it's no Hardknott Pass.

Scrolling through brings it all back especially the 30 mins sleep. My first 600 and i left kings at 9 AM took a 15K detour and fell in a hedge :-[ . Still got back with 20 mins to spare. Strange looking at some of the google pictures i must have missed most of it at night or maybe had my eyes closed too much.

When you're too tired to continue you fall off                            

200(7) 300(4) 400(4) 600(3) 1200(1) 1400(1)

simonp

« Reply #153 on: 28 February, 2012, 07:07:02 pm »
In 2008, I backed myself to be able to ride 225k in 15 3/4 hours, and slept for 4h. I rode the 225k it in just over 12h. I actually put myself under too much pressure on the first stage after the sleep, went too hard, and struggled slightly on the next stage but got a tow from Nuncio and miniog when they came past until I recovered. Learned from that in 2010 & 2011, and paced myself better, and improved the overall time by 2h 1h by riding slower in the morning of the second day.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #154 on: 28 February, 2012, 07:33:47 pm »
I'm impressed by this attention to detail; I'm hoping you'll know which shelves the Friij-n-Ginsters are on at each garage over Easter.

Next up for discussion:

The oblique railway line crossing
Now that IS a detail worth bringing to everyone's attention  :thumbsup: (I think it's in Mark's rider notes as well IIRC)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #155 on: 28 February, 2012, 08:13:04 pm »
Just posted my entry (along with the Brevet Cymru). This time I'll be attempting to ride it mostly in daylight.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #156 on: 28 February, 2012, 08:44:53 pm »
..........This time I'll be attempting to ride it mostly in daylight.

I think everyone starts-out with that idea.

Last year at the start of the BCM, I recall a conversation (concerning the Brevet Cymru 2 weeks prior) between Ritchie Tout and a AUK of the tourist variety. It went along the lines:-

Tourist AUK : I was quite happy to do the final climb from Llangum in the daylight.
Ritchie Tout : I would be too.

Isn't it funny how we all have similar goals.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #157 on: 28 February, 2012, 09:36:57 pm »
Next up for discussion:

Someone fell over on it as I was coming the other way last year. Downhill, I was about to bunny-hop it but they put me right off my stride.

Probably young Akin.  He has a habit of falling off his bike in Wales and the timings would be right because were not long behind him.  Missed seeing you coming the other way but saw Toby about 10 minutes later. 

On my first BCM on the return I was so concerned at making the angle I overdid it and nearly hit the wall.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #158 on: 28 February, 2012, 10:05:54 pm »
at least it's got gates. this one always scares me! (i know it's not on the bcm)

« Reply #159 on: 28 February, 2012, 10:11:22 pm »
at least it's got gates. this one always scares me! (i know it's not on the bcm)

Wasn't that one on the Scenic ?
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #160 on: 28 February, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »
Next up for discussion:

Someone fell over on it as I was coming the other way last year. Downhill, I was about to bunny-hop it but they put me right off my stride.

Probably young Akin.  He has a habit of falling off his bike in Wales and the timings would be right because were not long behind him.  Missed seeing you coming the other way but saw Toby about 10 minutes later. 

On my first BCM on the return I was so concerned at making the angle I overdid it and nearly hit the wall.

I have been outed. Not the best reputation to have but I certainly do it with vigor and make it my own. Nuncio and Miniog are always on hand to remind me of my past discrepancies.

I have failed to stay vertical on a number of welsh excursions. My first time riding there in 2010 on the Brevet Cymru I came down just after Tintern Abbey. I was wounded but managed to soldier on and complete the ride. Miniog witnessed that one I believe. I managed to survive the BCM and Mille Cymru unscathed that year if memory serves me correctly.

2011 was a a clean sweep. Brevet Cymru I got a puncture and did not get enough air in the front tire, it crumpled where they were resurfacing the road before Hay on Wye, I did a front flip into a ditch full of brambles. The bike had to be lifted off me before I was pulled out from the thorn laden bramble bush. If you dont mind being covered in scratches they do a pretty good job of breaking your fall. Neilv of this parish was there and he told me later in the year that it was fairly spectacular. Cut open my left knee in the process.

BCM I managed to get myself a matching pair of scarred knees. The lady in the house opposite was kind enough to shout out of her window to tell me how dangerous it was. I could attest to that from my vantage point face down on the floor.

Next up for discussion:

Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.  :facepalm:

I will be back for both in may hoping to stay up right.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #161 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:54:13 am »
..........This time I'll be attempting to ride it mostly in daylight.

I think everyone starts-out with that idea.

Last year at the start of the BCM, I recall a conversation (concerning the Brevet Cymru 2 weeks prior) between Ritchie Tout and a AUK of the tourist variety. It went along the lines:-

Tourist AUK : I was quite happy to do the final climb from Llangum in the daylight.
Ritchie Tout : I would be too.

Isn't it funny how we all have similar goals.

Emphasis on mostly :D

That climb is probably best done in the dark from a morale perspective i think...
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #162 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:05:40 am »
Although I have an entry, I'm not going to do this now.  Im starting a new job tomorrow which is going to curtail my cycling activity this year almost certaiinly, so I'm reevaluating what is possible and sensible to do.

However, I do have a Travelodge room booked on the 18th and the 20th at the Severn View services.

Both bookings are paid for and are £10 each.   You will have to pretend to be me, but,  hey , it could be worse!

If anyone is interested in the rooms PM me

Rooms have been snapped up!  Thanks for the interest though, to all who PM'd

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #163 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:13:38 am »

Wasn't that one on the Scenic ?
According to $random_bikely_track the Scenic crosses further west, meeting the A44 at Capel Bangor. A much safer looking crossing!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #164 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:49:42 am »
The exit at Barmouth:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=barmouth&ll=52.720107,-4.046764&spn=0.00115,0.002862&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Barmouth,+Gwynedd,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.720081,-4.04683&panoid=OrjsynTmZiyDzvFzoXueEw&cbp=12,217.62,,0,21.93

I almost fell over on camera for Damon in 2010 having to stop there to avoid being run over by an ambulance.

if you pause for a moment at that spot you can probably still hear the echoes of my swearing from last year as I mended a p****re ...for the 3rd time ...having pinched the tube on two previous attempts within 20 mins.
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #165 on: 29 February, 2012, 12:40:11 pm »
if you pause for a moment at that spot you can probably still hear the echoes of my swearing from last year as I mended a p****re ...for the 3rd time ...having pinched the tube on two previous attempts within 20 mins.

Also pause your thought for "Bobajobrob", very sadly no longer with us. I recall seeing a lovely pic of him at this junction. Not sure now if it was an Arrivee pic or one circulated on a forum.

Happy days Rob.

Simonb

« Reply #166 on: 29 February, 2012, 01:31:05 pm »
Happy days Rob.

I had no idea about bobajobrob. Very sad.

LEE

« Reply #167 on: 29 February, 2012, 05:20:49 pm »
The exit at Barmouth:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=barmouth&ll=52.720107,-4.046764&spn=0.00115,0.002862&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Barmouth,+Gwynedd,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.720081,-4.04683&panoid=OrjsynTmZiyDzvFzoXueEw&cbp=12,217.62,,0,21.93

I almost fell over on camera for Damon in 2010 having to stop there to avoid being run over by an ambulance.

It's a beautiful spot to watch someone fix a puncture but 3 of them within 200 yards meant we hit Pen-Y-Pass in the dark and just as a horrible cloud of sleet passed through. I try not to scowl at Chillmoister when he mentions it.

You get a wonderful view of Snowdonia as you head up the coast from Harlech.  More than once I've seen blue skies over Snowdon replaced by horrible black clouds as they are blown in from the sea.  It's one of the great features of the ride, being able to see, from miles away, where you will be in a couple of hours.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #168 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:23:34 pm »
Coming out of that exit is scary. I have sometimes wondered whether it might be better to ride back to the A470 and, in effect, reverse the return route as far as Penry...eth.  Probably a bit longer but less chance of getting splattered and the downhill from the power station would be a belter.  But you would miss out on some great views though.... if you get there in daylight
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #169 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:34:31 am »
If you are going to skip the Barmouth bit and go along the A470 you might as well skip Penrhyn as well and turn at Maentwrog (the place with that bus stop) towards Rhyd.  It brings you out on the road to Beddgelert.  :demon:

LEE

« Reply #170 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:49:13 am »
Coming out of that exit is scary. I have sometimes wondered whether it might be better to ride back to the A470 and, in effect, reverse the return route as far as Penry...eth.  Probably a bit longer but less chance of getting splattered and the downhill from the power station would be a belter.  But you would miss out on some great views though.... if you get there in daylight

Barmouth bridge is a highlight of the ride. Why miss it because of a "scary exit" (which isn't scary at all if you are sensible and dismount instead of trying to balance, contend with pedestrians and enter directly onto a main road at the same time.)

Why not simply get off your bike near the (steep/tight) exit and walk for 20 yards to the main road?  Radical I know.

In case newbies were wondering what the fuss is about

Barmouth Bridge exit.

You emerge where the 2 old geezers are stood and need to turn left onto main road.  It's steep and narrow (it's a footpath) so you only get a view of traffic right at the junction, by which time your front wheel is about to protrude into main road.

If there is traffic coming then you may be forced into an inelegant dismount.

I doubt anyone will be considered less of a cyclist if they take the option to walk up to this junction.

Edit.  As for the Level Crossing, just go slightly wide then swerve back to take the rails head on, as close to 90deg as you can (like crossing a cattle grid).  They are only a problem if you take them at an acute angle.

« Reply #171 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:55:40 am »
Coming out of that exit is scary. .....................

I'm not making light of any of the aware of highlighted instances - as are the postees (as they're recalling memories), but the Barmouth bridge path is on an approved cycle route (route 8 ), as is the level crossing at Penrhyndeudraeth (route 82). RAs have been carried-out by myself and others.

If you're concerned about tackling either of these features, instead of going via Barmouth you can use any route you wish between controls, so (say) the toll at Penmaenpool. And the Penrhyndeudraeth bit can be by-passed (say) either to the East via Porthmadog, or to the West via Tan-y-Bwlch and then Rhyd :demon:. Although I suppose in the true spirit of Audax one should miss Rhyd and go via Penrallt :o.

Following complaints (not comments) about the Barmouth bridge bit - I did change the route the following year, to use the Penmaenpool toll - ye gods, the complaints I got from one person (about the diversion to the other toll crossing) can still be heard echoing around valley between Cribin Fach and Maen Du.

I'm sure if these options were exercised (particularly the Penrallt bit), this topic would go to record length.

LEE

« Reply #172 on: 01 March, 2012, 10:09:07 am »
I find it absolutely incredible that anyone would take issue with the Barmouth Bridge route. 

I'd complain if your route had taken me to Barmouth and omitted the Bridge crossing, it's one of the best bits of any Audax I've done.  (Actually I wouldn't complain because it's Audax not a guided tour).

Nobody is forcing anybody to cycle over railway lines or onto a Barmouth Main road.  Any competent cyclist should assess the risk and dismount if they feel it's too risky.  I don't see why an Audax organiser should be held to account for normal road "furniture".

I have no problem with the railway lines but  I'd probably be tempted, in future, to dismount just before joining the Barmouth road after the bridge.

People actually complained about it?  Jesus.

Note.  I do cack myself on the wet Barmouth Bridge wooden boards but that's part of the fun isn't it?  It certainly beats any A-road.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #173 on: 01 March, 2012, 10:27:12 am »
I find it absolutely incredible that anyone would take issue with the Barmouth Bridge route. 

I'd complain if your route had taken me to Barmouth and omitted the Bridge crossing, it's one of the best bits of any Audax I've done.  (Actually I wouldn't complain because it's Audax not a guided tour).

Nobody is forcing anybody to cycle over railway lines or onto a Barmouth Main road.  Any competent cyclist should assess the risk and dismount if they feel it's too risky.  I don't see why an Audax organiser should be held to account for normal road "furniture".

I have no problem with the railway lines but  I'd probably be tempted, in future, to dismount just before joining the Barmouth road after the bridge.

People actually complained about it?  Jesus.

Note.  I do cack myself on the wet Barmouth Bridge wooden boards but that's part of the fun isn't it?  It certainly beats any A-road.

couldn't agree more  ....if you are worried about these sort of things maybe audaxing isn't for you
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #174 on: 01 March, 2012, 11:10:39 am »
Surprised at complaints, some bits need care but i suppose we all moan a bit at the time when saturated knackered and not knowing where the next joule is coming from. Yes the Wet wooden planks gave a few moments of concern but all worries like the pain are soon forgotten and the memories are good. I would much rather these "careful sections" than "Off Road almost unridable sections" i have encountered elsewhere in Devon.
When you're too tired to continue you fall off                            

200(7) 300(4) 400(4) 600(3) 1200(1) 1400(1)