Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 99357 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #175 on: 01 March, 2012, 11:34:17 am »
and the memories are good
Miniog's bagman support dropped off on the Barmouth Bridge one year.  It didn't fall into the water, but it's still a very good memory.

« Reply #176 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:21:26 pm »
I've edited my posting posting, because there was some ambiguity in the text. And reading a third time it was apparent was posted wasn't what was meant (sorry about that), toys were never thrown out of the pram. For those not wishing to scroll-up it now reads:-

I'm not making light of any of the aware of highlighted instances - as are the postees (as they're recalling memories), but the Barmouth bridge path is on an approved cycle route (route 8 ), as is the level crossing at Penrhyndeudraeth (route 82). RAs have been carried-out by myself and others.

If you're concerned about tackling either of these features, instead of going via Barmouth you can use any route you wish between controls, so (say) the toll at Penmaenpool. And the Penrhyndeudraeth bit can be by-passed (say) either to the East via Porthmadog, or to the West via Tan-y-Bwlch and then Rhyd  :demon: . Although I suppose in the true spirit of Audax one should miss Rhyd and go via Penrallt   :o .

Following complaints (not comments) about the Barmouth bridge bit - I did change the route the following year, to use the Penmaenpool toll - ye gods, the complaints I got from one person (about the diversion to the other toll crossing) can still be heard echoing around valley between Cribin Fach and Maen Du.

I'm sure if these options were exercised (particularly the Penrallt bit), this topic would go to record length.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #177 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:26:32 pm »
Just relax, smile for the photographer, quick track stand to make sure the road is clear and on your way  ;)

« Reply #178 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:46:37 pm »

If you're concerned about tackling either of these features, instead of going via Barmouth you can use any route you wish between controls, so (say) the toll at Penmaenpool. And the Penrhyndeudraeth bit can be by-passed (say) either to the East via Porthmadog, or to the West via Tan-y-Bwlch and then Rhyd  :demon: . Although I suppose in the true spirit of Audax one should miss Rhyd and go via Penrallt   :o .

When i first saw pictures of the Bridge and the exit hill it was one of the reasons i wanted to do the ride. At kings i think it was the driving reason for continuing.

Thanks again Blacksheep it was ...... :thumbsup:
When you're too tired to continue you fall off                            

200(7) 300(4) 400(4) 600(3) 1200(1) 1400(1)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #179 on: 01 March, 2012, 02:16:08 pm »
Oh gosh, I seem to have unleashed a sleeping monster with my failure to use ironic icons  :-[.

I'm not seriously suggesting that the route shouldn't use the bridge. It is a lovely part of the ride and I wouldn't seriously consider taking a different route in order to avoid it.  I was merely speculating that one could, in the same way as some people were suggesting alternative routes to the Youth Hostel. 

That said, were it not for the fact that Blacksheep puts a very clear warning in the notes for the ride, I think lurching out straight onto the road could well come as a bit of a shock!  The first year I tried BCM I was behind another rider who stopped dead at the top as there were cars coming. That's the closest I have come to a clipless moment on an Audax and did require a dismount to cover the last 8 feet or so.  ;)

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #180 on: 01 March, 2012, 03:20:10 pm »
Oh gosh, I seem to have unleashed a sleeping monster with my failure to use ironic icons  :-[.

Hi Redlight.

I think we're all on the same side  :thumbsup: , I didn't take offence. Sometimes I think forums (like all text corrospondance) can be a minefield - as the 'non-vocal-communication' bit can so easily get taken out of context  :o
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #181 on: 01 March, 2012, 06:46:31 pm »
Do you still have to pay to cross the bridge?
The first time I cycled across Barmouth bridge there was a very camp man with dyed black hair, a semi buttoned, canary yellow shirt, sporting a medallion staffing the toll booth.
He was very happy to see us in our cycling gear to say the least.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #182 on: 01 March, 2012, 07:34:58 pm »
I don't know what the fuss about the exit to the barmouth bridge is about, maybe because I've never actually made it up to the road. Then again I've never seen anybody in the toll booth either. How the other half live, eh?

« Reply #183 on: 01 March, 2012, 07:47:59 pm »
The first time I cycled across Barmouth bridge there was a very camp man with dyed black hair, a semi buttoned, canary yellow shirt, sporting a medallion staffing the toll booth.

Normally, yes. However, when E Minor and I crossed last summer, Railtrack's staff rota had a hole in it, which left the toll booth unattended... an ideal day for a Yorkshireman to use the bridge! Both ways too, so I saved the toll twice.

« Reply #184 on: 01 March, 2012, 08:08:17 pm »
an ideal day for a Yorkshireman to use the bridge! Both ways too, so I saved the toll twice.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but thee 10-penny worth is actually for a return crossing  :smug:.

So you paid the going rate for your second crossing  :o :o :o .

To really save the bwass, thou should have used the permaenpool toll bridge, its free both ways.

LEE

« Reply #185 on: 01 March, 2012, 08:39:05 pm »
Riding with the "Faccombe 4" is the cheapest option since the Toll-Booth staff have long since buggered off home for the evening when we get there.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #186 on: 01 March, 2012, 08:54:42 pm »
Riding with the "Faccombe 4" is the cheapest option since the Toll-Booth staff have long since buggered off home for the evening when we get there.

Well, I would ride with the Faccombe 4 if I could keep up with them. By the time I get there, the toll booth staff are just clocking on.....
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #187 on: 19 March, 2012, 04:58:02 pm »
OK, so I'm in.
Entry in the mail.
No backing out now.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #188 on: 19 March, 2012, 08:30:34 pm »

Hold on.

Are you sure that wasn't another rider?

There are plenty that fit the description.

H

« Reply #189 on: 19 March, 2012, 09:56:40 pm »
I've posted my entry too after years of managing to wimp out / think up excuses.... I'd be interested to hear anyones experiences regarding fixed or gears? I usually choose fixed but haven't been over 300k yet ( Elenith ! ) I think gears maybe slower ( for me ) but kinder on my legs in unknown territory.

simonp

« Reply #190 on: 19 March, 2012, 10:04:18 pm »
15 minutes slower on fixed than gears for me based on last year. 71" and got up everything except the YH drive which was too much. Probably would use a lower gear next time as I gave myself a wrist injury.

« Reply #191 on: 19 March, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »
15 minutes slower on fixed than gears for me based on last year. 71" and got up everything except the YH drive which was too much. Probably would use a lower gear next time as I gave myself a wrist injury.

You will definitely be using a lower gear next time  ;D

« Reply #192 on: 19 March, 2012, 10:25:12 pm »

Pretty close then !

Hummers

« Reply #193 on: 19 March, 2012, 11:19:12 pm »
Probably would use a lower gear next time as I gave myself a wrist injury.

The mind boggles  :demon:

H

simonp

« Reply #194 on: 20 March, 2012, 12:46:26 am »

H

Where were you when I originally posted about the injury?  Others had to fill in for you and frankly I was disappointed with quality of the service provided.

Hummers

« Reply #195 on: 20 March, 2012, 08:19:58 am »

H

Where were you when I originally posted about the injury?  Others had to fill in for you and frankly I was disappointed with quality of the service provided.

Sadly, that's life Simon.

:-*

H

« Reply #196 on: 20 March, 2012, 05:04:08 pm »

a verey camp man......wearing a canary yellow shirt.........sporting a medallion............oooooooooooooohhhhhhh..........sir............suits yooooooooooouuuuu sir....

that wouldnt be "agent Moderator" aka .......Mr hummerstone would it seems a striking resemblence
Purely ride fixed

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #197 on: 20 March, 2012, 11:08:56 pm »
Finally filled out my entry form & will get it posted tomorrow  :thumbsup:
Just need to sort out the train tickets now.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #198 on: 20 March, 2012, 11:10:21 pm »

a verey camp man......wearing a canary yellow shirt.........sporting a medallion............oooooooooooooohhhhhhh..........sir............suits yooooooooooouuuuu sir....

that wouldnt be "agent Moderator" aka .......Mr hummerstone would it seems a striking resemblence

He was pretty fat too. Like Matt Lucas trying out a new character for Little Britain. ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #199 on: 22 March, 2012, 07:27:54 pm »
I seem to have posted an entry for this  :-\