Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 99367 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #300 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:46:12 am »
1 more bed at Dolgellau  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #301 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:49:20 am »
See, everybody wins. Just let me know before I enter an event if there are going to be bed Nazis!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #302 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:53:10 am »
See, everybody wins. Just let me know before I enter an event if there are going to be bed Nazis!
You were very keen on Saturday to encourage "anyone of reasonable fitness" to complete as many big rides as possible. How does making them sleep on the floor for their precious 2 hours help in this aim?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #303 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:59:33 am »
I've slept on floors plenty of times, including last Friday night. Don't see that as a problem or hinderance. Plenty of PBPers seem to do just fine despite sleeping on the floor and the organisers don't turf folks out of their beds.

I don't turf faster riders out of their beds and I get annoyed when somebody tries to do it to me. Faster riders don't just magically float round a long brevet. In many cases they've spent less time off the bike to get to the sleep stop sooner.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #304 on: 16 April, 2012, 10:07:48 am »
In many cases they've spent less time off the bike to get to the sleep stop sooner.
Try saying that to someone arriving at Kings @5am. Make sure you offer them the first punch.

(It won't hurt - they'll be knackered :) )

Do you really think riders will have an extra cup of tea so that they can kick someone out of bed?!?

You can't have it both ways.
"If sleeping for 4 hours is civilised, sleeping for 5 or 6 hours is more so."
So of course having a proper bed is helpful on a 600  ::-)

I can't condone deliberately robbing your fellow rider of sleep - it's a safety issue as much as anything else. "Plenty of PBPers do just fine ..." is rarely a rational argument.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #305 on: 16 April, 2012, 10:20:08 am »
I think neither of us are going to change our opinions but I don't think I'm being inconsistent. I don't begrudge somebody faster having more sleep than me or getting a choice of sleeping locations but it seems you do.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #306 on: 16 April, 2012, 10:33:37 am »
Having more time in hand to sleep
... is not the same thing as
Stopping another rider using a bed.

The faster rider will very-nearly-always still get more sleep, whatever policy is enforced by the "bed Nazis". (And probably wake everyone up as they leave  ;D )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #307 on: 16 April, 2012, 10:45:35 am »
I dunno what's optimal, but I know that faffing for an hour and leaving yourself only 1hr 15m for a kip will leave you utterly destroyed when you arrive in Chepstow on Sunday evening.

This year I don't have the luxury of phoning the wife for a lift so I'm hoping to get more sleep in order to make the 25km home over the bridge!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

simonp

« Reply #308 on: 16 April, 2012, 10:51:06 am »
Whoops.

I have to say that I don't know for sure what the policy is, and I might have misrecollected. There were more beds provided last year in a PBP year and I think everyone got a bed.

Personally I don't begrudge faster riders getting a long sleep, but at the expense of somewhat slower riders getting none, that seems unreasonable. I've never failed to get a bed on this event.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #309 on: 16 April, 2012, 11:20:41 am »
I've never failed to get a bed on this event.

I've done the event six times and always got a bed.  I usually get back at 2:30am-ish, although I have been much later than this on a couple of occasions
Sleep until 6am, try to have a quick breakfast, fail to have a quick breakfast and leave 7am-ish

« Reply #310 on: 16 April, 2012, 11:41:08 am »
 I'm really looking forward to kicking fast riders out of bed. :D

I suspect I'll have to wake them gently at a time of their choosing, just like everyone else though.

simonp

« Reply #311 on: 16 April, 2012, 11:49:28 am »
Talking of civilsed sleeping facilities, where is the tandem couples' dorm?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #312 on: 16 April, 2012, 11:50:20 am »
Whoops.

I have to say that I don't know for sure what the policy is, and I might have misrecollected. There were more beds provided last year in a PBP year and I think everyone got a bed.

Personally I don't begrudge faster riders getting a long sleep, but at the expense of somewhat slower riders getting none, that seems unreasonable. I've never failed to get a bed on this event.

I got a sofa for half an hour last year, does that count?  The lounge where I slept was pretty full of bodies.  IIRC I went to sleep at half 2 or thereabouts.

simonp

« Reply #313 on: 16 April, 2012, 11:56:53 am »
Whoops.

I got a sofa for half an hour last year, does that count?  The lounge where I slept was pretty full of bodies.  IIRC I went to sleep at half 2 or thereabouts.

The main YHA was full at around 2am. It wasn't when I arrived, but by the time I'd enquired if there were beds available, then eaten, then went to get a bed, others who had not eaten had taken the few remaining free beds. I went down to the bunk-house for a bed.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #314 on: 16 April, 2012, 12:04:14 pm »
£17.50 would be a lot to pay for a 600 with nothing to sleep on. It's different (e.g. on PBP) where there's a seperate charge for beds.

If NO accomodation is included on an event, you can always book something elsewhere, it's your choice.

(I've only ridden this thing once, so my earlier comments are more about the general principle of riders getting sleep on overnight rides using the public highway. I got a bed in 2008, but was very miffed on finding the promised sleeping area at Menai had been built over! Luckily hardly anyone is ready to sleep by that stage - I was just having a bad day. My general reading of the history books is that are enough beds outside of non-PBP years.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

simonp

« Reply #315 on: 16 April, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »
The sleeping facilities on the BCM are better than on PBP, and far better run than the St Nic du Pelem sleep stop on PBP last year, which was chaos. Plus, someone had nicked the blanket on my bed.

« Reply #316 on: 16 April, 2012, 12:17:05 pm »
I can arrange for stolen blankets if you'd like to re-live that?

:P

« Reply #317 on: 16 April, 2012, 12:17:39 pm »

Erm, bring a tent?

I personally don't mind sharing with non-women, but some of the men might be shy!  Last year Andy & I only had 1 drop bag between us.  While I went off to the toilet he decided to take it and go off to the boy's dorm - leaving me with only my soaking wet cycling clothes!  I will also point out that the reason my clothes were quite so wet was because he had removed the rear mudguard (because it doesn't really do anything for the pilot on a tandem).

simonp

« Reply #318 on: 16 April, 2012, 12:26:19 pm »

Erm, bring a tent?

I personally don't mind sharing with non-women, but some of the men might be shy!  Last year Andy & I only had 1 drop bag between us.  While I went off to the toilet he decided to take it and go off to the boy's dorm - leaving me with only my soaking wet cycling clothes!  I will also point out that the reason my clothes were quite so wet was because he had removed the rear mudguard (because it doesn't really do anything for the pilot on a tandem).

I was being slightly facetious. At PBP the sleeping seemed to just be massive sports halls filled with camp beds. If there's separate accommodation for ladies there's a risk we could end up one getting a bed and the other not, though, which would be a pain.

If I removed the rear mudguard, I'm sure I'd end up being told to swap the saddles and end up stoking - though I think Feline might be a bit over-reached on the front.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #319 on: 16 April, 2012, 12:28:12 pm »
So Jasmine, riding the solo more these days?

« Reply #320 on: 16 April, 2012, 12:38:49 pm »

The bunks are very comfortable but those (2?) sofas in the common room are very, very comfortable.  I wouldn’t take one by choice, though, unless the hinges on the common room door have been oiled recently.  And, as you say, you can go to sleep in glorious isolation and wake up to a body-and-drop-bag-strewn obstacle course between you and the squeaky door.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #321 on: 16 April, 2012, 12:46:47 pm »
I got half an hour in a chair last year. That was enough. Us slow riders don't expend enough energy to need much sleep  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #322 on: 16 April, 2012, 12:47:40 pm »
So Jasmine, riding the solo more these days?

I am actually.  It's amazing the number of issues that just don't happen on solo!  I rode the arrow last week on the back of the tandem and my bum hurt.  I also had to ride at a sub-optimal (for me) cadence & gear.  On the plus side, the mud-guards had returned  ;)

« Reply #323 on: 16 April, 2012, 12:57:19 pm »
I've ridden three times, and I've only ended up in the common room once. As I recall, a certain person who shall remain nameless (but was riding with Nuncio and myself) snuck into the last bed whilst we were eating. Not that I hold grudges. Oh no. I barely even have the event etched indelibly in my mind.

:)

The sofas are comfortable if you can grab one. Teamed up with a YACF buff blindfold and LEL issue earplugs I slept soundly. Getting out is a bit of an obstacle course.

See my entry in the Audax song titles thread.

miniog

• aka IanS
« Reply #324 on: 16 April, 2012, 02:09:35 pm »
I've ridden three times, and I've only ended up in the common room once. As I recall, a certain person who shall remain nameless (but was riding with Nuncio and myself) snuck into the last bed whilst we were eating. Not that I hold grudges. Oh no. I barely even have the event etched indelibly in my mind.

That bed was particularly warm, dry and comfortable. I slept like a log.