Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 99364 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #325 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:07:13 pm »
Are there sleeping facilities at Aberhafesp?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

red marley

« Reply #326 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:10:03 pm »
After a fashion. It's a modern village hall with a stage at one end and some some mats for sleeping if you wish. I have always managed 30 minutes or so snooze behind the curtains there. It probably won't be very quiet, so unless you are very early, I wouldn't rely on getting many hours' worth.

simonp

« Reply #327 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
Feline could probably sleep there, given her Arrow sleeping achievements. We’re unlikely to be fast enough to make it an option, though.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #328 on: 17 April, 2012, 08:43:09 pm »
I got half an hour in a chair last year. That was enough. Us slow riders don't expend enough energy to need much sleep  :)

+1.

Any more than that is not in the spirit of audax.
Mojo is being awakened.

Audaxwebby

• Chippenham wheelers
« Reply #329 on: 17 April, 2012, 10:22:24 pm »
Well thats me down for the brian chapman form and cheque ready to be posted in the morning. Done my 200 & 300 was going to do the brevet 400. But choose to do the Avalon Sunrise 400 in june instead so its a 600 before my first 400. Anyone got any advice besides good luck :) 
Well LEL done now ready for PBP

simonp

« Reply #330 on: 17 April, 2012, 10:28:03 pm »
Well thats me down for the brian chapman form and cheque ready to be posted in the morning. Done my 200 & 300 was going to do the brevet 400. But choose to do the Avalon Sunrise 400 in june instead so its a 600 before my first 400. Anyone got any advice besides good luck :)

Plenty of sleep in the week leading up.
Get to the start in plenty of time.
Have breakfast.

None of which I did doing the Scenic version in 2007, and it was my first 600, and my first DNF.

« Reply #331 on: 17 April, 2012, 10:33:31 pm »

Have breakfast.

None of which I did doing the Scenic version in 2007, and it was my first 600, and my first DNF.

We have never had plenty of sleep the night before an audax when we have been together heh :p

« Reply #332 on: 17 April, 2012, 10:35:23 pm »
We have never had plenty of sleep the night before an audax when we have been together heh :p

:o

Audaxwebby

• Chippenham wheelers
« Reply #333 on: 17 April, 2012, 10:39:10 pm »

Have breakfast.

thank you for the advice ill do my best.

simonp

« Reply #334 on: 17 April, 2012, 11:41:06 pm »

:o

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #335 on: 25 April, 2012, 10:14:38 pm »
It's less than a month away. Shouldn't we be speculating about the weather and whether we'll all be delayed by an outbreak of roadworks north of Brecon by now?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #336 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:46:19 am »
I'm going to stick with the consensus on the Brevet Cymru thread - we're in for some nastyness.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Audaxwebby

• Chippenham wheelers
« Reply #337 on: 02 May, 2012, 07:48:37 pm »
Well bad news I won't be joining you all on the Brian Chapman.I have picked up a knee injury which I have been carrying since the Heart of England. Which I had a few weeks leading up to the  H of E. So I have decided to rest up as I won't be ready in time. So I hope to be ready for the Avalon sunrise 400 in june. Take care all those who are doing the chapman see you all soon.

« Reply #338 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:01:04 pm »
I'm also out unfortunately.  Just couldn't manage to juggle the rides and young family.  Enjoy all. 

« Reply #339 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:46:29 pm »
Well bad news I won't be joining you all on the Brian Chapman.I have picked up a knee injury which I have been carrying since the Heart of England. Which I had a few weeks leading up to the  H of E. So I have decided to rest up as I won't be ready in time. So I hope to be ready for the Avalon sunrise 400 in june. Take care all those who are doing the chapman see you all soon.

Shame Jase, go steady and see you out there soon.

« Reply #340 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:27:53 pm »
Weather and work have combined to reduce my mileage to abysmal levels since the start of April.
Still planning to be there for it though - after all didnt the estimable Mr Blacksheep promise to sacrifice sufficient virgins** to ensure good weather ?

** Are there enough virgins in Wales ?

LEE

« Reply #341 on: 03 May, 2012, 05:32:33 pm »
Weather and work have combined to reduce my mileage to abysmal levels since the start of April.
Still planning to be there for it though - after all didnt the estimable Mr Blacksheep promise to sacrifice sufficient virgins** to ensure good weather ?

I think it's weather that makes or breaks this ride.  Yes there's lots of altitude along the way but you gain it in a way that suits the heavier riders amongst us (I only remember Llancloudy as being a proper "Devon/Dorset grind").

It's been the sleet in the face and a relentlessly rainy night section I found most challenging.  2011 was the best weather yet and, as a result, made it a jolly couple of days on the bike (Naturally I was lashed with Sleet on Pen-Y-Pass but that's to be expected).

You get chance to see what the weather will be like at Pen-Y-Pass as you ride the coast past Harlech.  Several times we witnessed the sun-drenched summits of Snowdon being hidden by ominous dark clouds off the sea.  It had a distinct Mordor feel to it (except Mordor was warmer).

I wonder if I'll ride this again, one more time maybe.  It would be PBP year if I did.

« Reply #342 on: 03 May, 2012, 05:42:37 pm »
PBP year? Ah, that would make it a qualifier for you then. You know you want to do it again...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #343 on: 03 May, 2012, 05:55:58 pm »
Yes there's lots of altitude along the way but you gain it in a way that suits the heavier riders amongst us (I only remember Llancloudy as being a proper "Devon/Dorset grind").

LEE

I have never really got to grips with all the different types of hills we encounter, and what sorts of riders are suited to each type...

Experienced audaxers talk about hills in a sort of shorthand, e.g. grinds, power climbs, etc, but I never could grasp the differences...

I am guessing that the BC will be mainly relatively shallow inclines, rather than very steep all or nothing climbs (e.g. shall I walk it?), but I would love to have a proper glossary and understanding...

Could you perhaps explain further for all us newbies?
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #344 on: 03 May, 2012, 06:04:33 pm »
It's less than a month away. Shouldn't we be speculating about the weather and whether we'll all be delayed by an outbreak of roadworks north of Brecon by now?

I was up in Dolgellau a couple of weeks ago and there are considerable road works near Cross Foxes. (it's the road that links Cross Foxes to Dolgellau)
They are taking out numerous bends and re routing the road due to the amount of accidents on that section.
When I was there they were taking all the trees down.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #345 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:19:10 pm »

I wonder if I'll ride this again, one more time maybe.  It would be PBP year if I did.

That's the spirit Lee; far more positive.

Far more positive than a previous post:

"I never felt fitter than at the end of my 200km RRTY series and I reckon I'll use 200s as an excuse to get fit again next year.  I'm not sure I'll ever do >300 again though."

Never say never, unless you have to.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #346 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:25:52 pm »

I am guessing that the BC will be mainly relatively shallow inclines, rather than very steep all or nothing climbs (e.g. shall I walk it?), but I would love to have a proper glossary and understanding...

From memory, most of the climbs are relatively steady gradients with a couple that are a bit on the long side. There's one stinker not far before the control at Weobley (sp?) where you turn off a C road to go up a wall of a D or E road, but it's very short.  The section before Monmouth on the final leg is a bit lumpy in that it's a succession of roller coaster-style dips and climbs. They're not particularly hard or long but if you're tired - and most people are by then - they can take it out of you a bit. 

And of course, what goes up must come down and if you enjoy fast descents, this is a great ride!  Even better if they take out those bends on the descent from Cross Foxes.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #347 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:30:02 pm »
I love the rollercoaster - except for the very last climb, which is too long to get over the top using mainly momentum. But then I'm heavy and like descending, so I can get up a fair lick on the downhills before each climb.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #348 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:41:02 pm »
Yes there's lots of altitude along the way but you gain it in a way that suits the heavier riders amongst us (I only remember Llancloudy as being a proper "Devon/Dorset grind").

LEE

I have never really got to grips with all the different types of hills we encounter, and what sorts of riders are suited to each type...

Experienced audaxers talk about hills in a sort of shorthand, e.g. grinds, power climbs, etc, but I never could grasp the differences...

Mikey

Big boys are far more suited to long drags than short sharp efforts. There's no real satisfaction in getting it over and done with quickly; rather, a measured attempt to climax at the optimum point as you crest the summit, knowing you can relax for a few minutes, have a slim panatella,  and gather your strength before sallying forth once more unto the breach.

I cannot speak for racing snakes, other than by their very definition, they would appear to like to get things done as quickly as possible, and therefore would prefer the quicker efforts, which may well suit them, but perhaps not those they are 'riding' with.

Hope this helps.

CB

EDIT: Oh dear, definately too much vin de table last night. :-[

Mojo is being awakened.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #349 on: 03 May, 2012, 10:00:32 pm »
I like the long drags, but I tend to ride them at a racing snails pace, with a heart rate below 120, and I still get up them within a few minutes of the fast boys, I don't go into the red, I don't tire myelf unduly, and I can usually make up a couple of minutes whilst 'they' recover and I don't need to....

Unless they are called Toby, of course, in which case I never see them again...    ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388