Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 99359 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #450 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:47:39 pm »
The answer is less than 10, but more than zero.

Assuming this is a binary hint, as suggested earlier, I'll go with "one".
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #451 on: 12 May, 2012, 03:23:25 pm »
I think it's 3.

I still think it's 3.

There was 1 in 2007, and 2 in 2011. I cannot find any others. most of the remaining years, the event was of  BR standard. And the 40 hour requirement didn't exist
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #452 on: 12 May, 2012, 05:09:10 pm »
I think it's 3.

I still think it's 3.

Why aren't you buzzing then?

Is that a distinct 831 riders? I believe some idiots have done it more than once.

« Reply #453 on: 12 May, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »
Why aren't you buzzing then?
I think my buzzer is broken,
-
-
-
-
-
Yep I'm pressing, but no Buzzz, but I have changed my mind on something, it's 742 not 831.

Is that a distinct 831 riders? I believe some idiots have done it more than once.
Its a complicated set of rules in AUK, and sometimes end-up-being more catholic than the pope.

So perhaps for clarity, there have been 742 finishers in the past decade, PBP years in BOLD
2000     51
2001     57
--------------------------
2002     22
2003    79
2004     41
2005     58
2006     44
2007  115
2008     74
2009     75
2010   101
2011  133
--------------------------
Any way up, I can only recall having to "split" the finishers into BR and BRM in any specific BRM year. And that being 1 in 2007, and 2 in 2011.

Other years may have been BRM, but if they were - everyone finished within the 40hrs.

And years that were BR, riders stayed out getting Max VFM, and not coming back until much later.

I think the crux of this is, there's very little evidence that removing the BR fallback on a BRM event. Last year the riders were both about an hour outside the BRM time - which would have equated to spending nine minutes less at every control.

It's the controls that cost you lost time.

Please also remember folks, that this new rule applies to all BRM events. So the effect on (say) a 214km BRM event would be even more pronounced.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #454 on: 12 May, 2012, 08:54:36 pm »
The sad news for lovers of cremated teacakes everywhere is that I might be riding this one.

simonp

« Reply #455 on: 13 May, 2012, 01:36:30 pm »
I'm now on the sick list, hoping to recover in time.

Chris S

« Reply #456 on: 13 May, 2012, 07:19:04 pm »
I'm now on the sick list, hoping to recover in time.

FFS Simon, that's a disaster!

I'm on my lonesome for this one - and I was looking to you guys for a tandem shaped hole in the headwind to tuck in behind.

GWS.

I can't believe we're less than a week away, and nobody is talking up the weather forecast. I assume it's because everyone assumes it'll be crap - at least at some point during the weekend.

simonp

« Reply #457 on: 13 May, 2012, 07:24:16 pm »
Forecast is changing daily. I think there'll be rain this time. I've never had a 100% dry BCM anyway.

« Reply #458 on: 13 May, 2012, 07:48:28 pm »
I can hardly find sensible forecasts for tuesday and wednesday, let alone the next weekend...
Although somewhere I saw wind from the SSW for saturday and NE for sunday. That looks sort of beneficial. But what Chris says, any forecast more than a day away is useless because of the uncertainty.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #459 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:03:21 pm »
There will be weather.

Chris S

« Reply #460 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:04:18 pm »
*digs out rainlegs*

I've never used these since I bought them, oh three years ago. I've had plenty of soakings - including at least five this year. But perhaps Welsh Soakings are different.

*places rainlegs on "perhaps" pile*

Simonb

« Reply #461 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:15:55 pm »
Best you'll get at this range:

UK forecast - Day 6 to 15

UK Outlook for Friday 18 May 2012 to Sunday 27 May 2012:
Unsettled weather looks set to continue, with outbreaks of rain or showers. It is likely to be largely cloudy at first, with southern parts of the UK perhaps seeing the heaviest rain, and a risk of some thunder and lightning over the first weekend. The risk of snow over northern hills continues. Some drier spells are possible too, particularly across the north into the following week. Thereafter, there is a chance of some drier weather at times across the UK, however outbreaks of rain and showers are still likely to affect most areas. Temperatures are expected to remain below normal for the time of year, with a risk of a grass frost in drier spells, particularly in the north, perhaps increasing to nearer normal towards the end of the period.

Issued at: 1517 on Sun 13 May 2012

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/?tab=regionalForecast (plug in rhayader for a reasonably close target location)

« Reply #462 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:23:19 pm »
GWS Simonp and Feline. My daughter is down with a very bad cold at the moment. I am keeping my distance and my fingers crossed.
 On a positive note my bike has had a new chain and the gears performed faultlessly on an undulating ride today, despite my best attempts at dislodging the chain with excessive use of the outer rings. I was told I was very very lucky the chain hadn't broken on the BC. I hope I haven't used up all my good fortune for this month.

« Reply #463 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:31:15 pm »
UK forecast - Day 6 to 15

UK Outlook for Friday 18 May 2012 to Sunday 27 May 2012:
Unsettled weather looks set to continue, with outbreaks of rain or showers. It is likely to be largely cloudy at first, with southern parts of the UK perhaps seeing the heaviest rain, and a risk of some thunder and lightning over the first weekend. The risk of snow over northern hills continues. Some drier spells are possible too, particularly across the north into the following week. Thereafter, there is a chance of some drier weather at times across the UK, however outbreaks of rain and showers are still likely to affect most areas. Temperatures are expected to remain below normal for the time of year, with a risk of a grass frost in drier spells, particularly in the north, perhaps increasing to nearer normal towards the end of the period.

There will be weather.

That's the same, isn't it?
Is Snowdonia considered "northern hills"?

Simonb

« Reply #464 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:37:16 pm »

Not really. But they're pretty wet.

« Reply #465 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:43:53 pm »
GWS Simonp and Feline. My daughter is down with a very bad cold at the moment. I am keeping my distance and my fingers crossed.
 On a positive note my bike has had a new chain and the gears performed faultlessly on an undulating ride today, despite my best attempts at dislodging the chain with excessive use of the outer rings. I was told I was very very lucky the chain hadn't broken on the BC. I hope I haven't used up all my good fortune for this month.

Thanks polepole. I think I've turned the corner and am getting better not worse, but it seems I generously gave it to Simon so he's a few days behind me.

It would be a very good idea to make sure you have a chain tool (some of the better multi-tools have one and come with instructions, such as my Topeak mini 18) and a couple of powerlinks to match the number of cogs in your cassette like these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871 in your saddle bag. A broken chain really shouldn't be the end of your ride! They are amazingly simple to use to join a chain even in the wild. Practice breaking an old chain with the tool if you can. If you end up having to shorten and rejoin your chain in an emergency on a ride just be careful to never end up in a big ring-big ring combo that it might not reach around.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #466 on: 14 May, 2012, 02:16:24 pm »

It would be a very good idea to make sure you have a chain tool. A broken chain really shouldn't be the end of your ride! They are amazingly simple to use to join a chain even in the wild. Practice breaking an old chain with the tool if you can.

Alternatively, ride with Von Broad and he will flag down a passing mobile blackmsith and arc weld your chain back togther!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #467 on: 14 May, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »

In Wales, yes.  In the UK generally, no.  They seem to get a lot of rain.

Also the route skirts the edge of the Elan Valley.  This has the water cachement lakes for Birmingham in it.  They put them there for a good reason.

simonp

« Reply #468 on: 14 May, 2012, 03:31:38 pm »
So there's a good head?  ???

« Reply #469 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:27:25 pm »
It would be a very good idea to make sure you have a chain tool. A broken chain really shouldn't be the end of your ride! They are amazingly simple to use to join a chain even in the wild. Practice breaking an old chain with the tool if you can.
Not  suitable  for joining  modern chains, (9/10/11 speed) use the  tool to remove any broken bits and fit a power link.
I know somone will now say 'yes you can' - well you can, but it's very difficult to drive the peined pins through and you weaken the side-plates.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #470 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:36:24 pm »
That's probably why Feline recommended the powerlinks:

It would be a very good idea to make sure you have a chain tool (some of the better multi-tools have one and come with instructions, such as my Topeak mini 18) and a couple of powerlinks to match the number of cogs in your cassette like these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871 in your saddle bag. A broken chain really shouldn't be the end of your ride! They are amazingly simple to use to join a chain even in the wild. Practice breaking an old chain with the tool if you can. If you end up having to shorten and rejoin your chain in an emergency on a ride just be careful to never end up in a big ring-big ring combo that it might not reach around.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #471 on: 14 May, 2012, 05:23:13 pm »
Not  suitable  for joining  modern chains, (9/10/11 speed) use the  tool to remove any broken bits and fit a power link.
I know somone will now say 'yes you can' - well you can, but it's very difficult to drive the peined pins through and you weaken the side-plates.

That's a stunning bit of selective editing!

« Reply #472 on: 14 May, 2012, 07:09:46 pm »

Indeed.

I learnt my lesson of the Ellenith several years back. Riding a SWB recumbent, a person gets used to linking chains together. Well, on that particular ride my chain snapped 3 times. I'd done a not excessive amount of miles up until that point, but not without significance, and only dawning on me a few days later, I had joined each of the 2 & 1/2 chains with a chain tool. As the Americans say - go figure!

Started using power links and no more problems.

Essential items = chain tool and the appropriate chain links for your particular chain speed.

Not riding the BCM this year. I think I've been called back to the Dark Side as far as riding Audax goes, and judging by the 160km I rode yesterday [first in three years], much rehearsing is in order. But boy, that entry extension had me tempted for a while there.

And I'm going to ask Mark [even though I know it's not fitting for him to answer  :))] if he is handing the ride over to anybody else, or not?

Hope everybody has a good ride. And may the rain clouds continue on over to the Midlands.
Garry Broad

« Reply #473 on: 15 May, 2012, 12:56:34 pm »

Not riding the BCM this year. I think I've been called back to the Dark Side as far as riding Audax goes, and judging by the 160km I rode yesterday [first in three years], much rehearsing is in order. But boy, that entry extension had me tempted for a while there.

And I'm going to ask Mark [even though I know it's not fitting for him to answer  :))] if he is handing the ride over to anybody else, or not?

Hope everybody has a good ride. And may the rain clouds continue on over to the Midlands.

Shame you won't be there.   It was your ride report last year that inspired me to up the mileages and enter this year's.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #474 on: 15 May, 2012, 02:04:07 pm »
The "long range" weather (ie the highly inaccurate) predictions are just starting to appear

First impressions are for a fairly typical Bryan Chapman, bit of everything