Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 99360 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #475 on: 15 May, 2012, 02:39:01 pm »
If the North wind blows there will be snow!  :smug:
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #476 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:28:32 pm »
snowing in bristol now at 15.20hrs
Purely ride fixed

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #477 on: 15 May, 2012, 04:12:27 pm »
sunny in London - but we've had hail and thunder so far this afternoon
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Redlight

« Reply #478 on: 15 May, 2012, 04:18:59 pm »
and now it's pi--ing down again...

A bit of everything in the saddlebag, me thinks

simonp

« Reply #479 on: 15 May, 2012, 06:18:33 pm »
Thanks polepole. I think I've turned the corner and am getting better not worse, but it seems I generously gave it to Simon so he's a few days behind me.

I seem to have improved a lot since yesterday. I expect I'll be ok to ride.

Edit: and was 68.4kg as of this morning - weight target achieved, nearly!

« Reply #480 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:08:37 pm »
Does anyone know whether we can leave items not required for the ride at the Community centre?

Chris S

« Reply #481 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:11:15 pm »
Does anyone know whether we can leave items not required for the ride at the Community centre?

Yup - leave whatever you like. The more the merrier. Blacksheep holds a jumble sale during the day on Saturday, and flogs all our stuff.

By the time we get back - we're too tired to care about, or even remember our stuff - so it's no problem.

In truth - I don't know. I've never ridden this event before. Some people leave their cars behind...

Redlight

« Reply #482 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:51:13 pm »
I'm out, sorry to say. A work project is going horribly wrong and the buck stops with me so I can't afford to take time off around the weekend. 

>:( >:( >:(

..all of which means there is a room at the Severn View Travelodge available on Friday and Sunday night if anyone wants to take it. I think (and will check) I paid about £30 a night.  PM me if interested. FCFS.  Now taken

« Reply #483 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:13:06 pm »
Just got back home, I'm totally Donald.

'Tis either because 'I was in Menai Bridge less than 21 hours ago, or I was helping 3Peaker on his event on Sunday.

Traffic lights, this year it's traffic lights.

Good night
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Simonb

« Reply #484 on: 15 May, 2012, 11:11:27 pm »
Weather's looking fairly benign now I've ordered a nice new winter jacket on Wiggle.

You can thank me on Saturday.

simonp

« Reply #485 on: 16 May, 2012, 12:15:24 am »

Yup - leave whatever you like. The more the merrier. Blacksheep holds a jumble sale during the day on Saturday, and flogs all our stuff.

By the time we get back - we're too tired to care about, or even remember our stuff - so it's no problem.

In truth - I don't know. I've never ridden this event before. Some people leave their cars behind...

You could try reading the calendar page.

Hint: L is for luggage, so yes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #486 on: 16 May, 2012, 12:20:23 am »
YRTFM when u cn ask YACF?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #487 on: 16 May, 2012, 09:09:49 am »
Just got back home, I'm totally Donald.

'Tis either because 'I was in Menai Bridge less than 21 hours ago, or I was helping 3Peaker on his event on Sunday.

Traffic lights, this year it's traffic lights.

Good night
Do I sense a last-minute routesheet advisory note? You spoil us, your excellency  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #488 on: 16 May, 2012, 11:39:45 am »
DNS for me. In fact, DNS on audaxing full stop for now. Pretty much. Last year - rubbish. This year - one 200 and one 100 I think. Way too much going on to be able to fit in Audaxing.... not happy but hey ho, still young and plenty more cycling years left in me  :thumbsup:

This also means I shall be DNSing the Mille Alba (very annoyingly....)

« Reply #489 on: 16 May, 2012, 02:13:57 pm »
Do I sense a last-minute routesheet advisory note? You spoil us, your excellency  ;D

I think you (the rider's) should all be OK - no route changes required, well probably one for the sensible. but none for those that have little regard for their (and others) safety.

Some of the traffic lights are 50 meters long, and others c-o-n-s-i-d-e-r-a-b-l-y   l-o-n-g-e-r. Probably the worst set being at Furnace (about midway on section 3), I thought OMG when I saw a sign warning of waits of 10 minutes "at this point", then a 5 minute one a distance up the road. Rather unfortunately the "common strip of road being used is the nearside, so there's nowhere to escape to if cyclists get caught by lights changing.

Obviously entrants will get a PM, but for those that can't wait - read on.

On Stage Two,
Shortly after the Bronllys control, LONG TLs, offside road surface being replaced section length 400m.
On the A44 a few miles after Llangurig, not too long - able to pass through without incident.

On Stage Three.
Long road repair stretch at Furnace, probably up to 1km.
More lights as you drop out of Upper Corris down towards Tal-y-LLin Public House.

On Stage Four.
Shortly after leaving Kings YHA, on main road to Arthog - you can see the other end of the works.
After Harlech - a long stretch where the n/s is being worked on.
Before Bedgellert - a fairly long stretch of th n/s being worked on. Obviously these will be the opposite way around on the reverse route.
More lights on the climb out of Bedgellert towards the PH. Fairly long, the road is narrow and winding. It was dark when I was there, so no real idea of the length.

On Stage Five.
Obviously the set mentioned above.
About mid-way up the climb towards Trawsfynned, Work on th n/s Carraigeway, toatal length affected - 200 - 300m
And on the same stretch of road shortly before the roundabout and the road rises up prob 150m.

There were quite a few other sets, but these were so short, they're not really worth a mention.

There'a new stretch of road before Newbridge-on-Wye. This is completely new, it's very wide and very straight. I decided to follow the old road - at the earliest opotunity. The reason being simple - big road, straight = traffic going big speeds. The old road was completey deserted - and was resurfaced a couple of years ago.

There's considerable road/traffic dissruption between Cross Foxes and Dolgellau. On Stage3 I dont think there's much of an issue, as you're going downhill - and just part of the flow.

But on Stage 6 when cyclists are climbing up to Cross foxes, this is a major headache. Sure, cyclists can take the atitude that they're merely riding their bikes up a road, but the road is down to a single-width, and this road is used by a lot of traffic - HGVs particularly early on any morning even Sunday. I've no idea if the contractors have requested that the road is closed to abnormally slow road users, I didn't see any signs, but I was going the other way at a great rate of knots. But the the local authorities have issued a "No HGV" closure to the road works shortly after Bronllys - and are actively enforceing it.

There is an alternative, I used it, and the cyclists on the "Scenic" route used it in the past. I will issue this to riders so they can make their own minds-up. The alternative is probably quicker, and it gives a lovely view of the road heading for Newtown - so your next few miles aren't such a surprise.

Other than these slight headaches, nothing major to report, and of course some of these features listed above maybe cleared by the w/e.

Chairs.
Mark.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #490 on: 16 May, 2012, 03:24:41 pm »
There'a new stretch of road before Newbridge-on-Wye. This is completely new, it's very wide and very straight. I decided to follow the old road - at the earliest opotunity. The reason being simple - big road, straight = traffic going big speeds. The old road was completey deserted - and was resurfaced a couple of years ago.

Is that just after Builth Wells (northbound)? If so I think it starts here:
http://g.co/maps/he4q8

It looks like Google MAPS knows about the new and old roads, but satellite/streetview only show the old road. So it looks like we should keep right to stay on the old road?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #491 on: 16 May, 2012, 04:04:53 pm »

Is that just after Builth Wells (northbound)? If so I think it starts here:
http://g.co/maps/he4q8

It looks like Google MAPS knows about the new and old roads, but satellite/streetview only show the old road. So it looks like we should keep right to stay on the old road?

That's the badger.  :thumbsup:

I think I took a right signed "Cwm-bach, Llechrhyd", and a brown B&B logo under it. Then further-on - left at a new T junction not previously on the old A470 road, and then left at another new T junction on the newbridge boundary. You're then back on route.

Oh, and there were temporary traffic lights on the bridge over the river Wye, (where there used to be permanent ones. I warned ou there were ore traffic lights ;)

« Reply #492 on: 16 May, 2012, 04:22:29 pm »
By the time we get back - we're too tired to care about, or even remember our stuff - ..........
Well funny you should say that Chris, but many do - for about a week, the living room in the BlackSheep fold looks like a doorway of a charity shop.

Very tempting, considering my quote above.

Some people leave their cars behind...

I remember that one, it left a permanent black stain on the living room floor (leaking sump gasket), the real b1tch was getting it through the conservatory.

Chris S

« Reply #493 on: 16 May, 2012, 04:25:47 pm »
I took a right signed "Cwm-bach, Llechrhyd"...

*makes note*

I must take a black marker with me to add "All is forgiven" underneath  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #494 on: 16 May, 2012, 06:48:14 pm »
Sounds like the formation of substantial pelotons may be the way to deal with those long TL controlled sections?   As in 20 or so cyclists starting on green... what is the welsh for "not our fault the phasing on lights doesnt allow for bikes guv'nor"

Noted the "old-road" route between Builth Wells and Newbridge, but confess to being baffled by the "Scenic" diversion on Stage 6. Looking at the map I don't see any obvious alternative to the climb up to Cross Foxes?   No doubt all will become clear on receipt of an email from Blacksheep, just hoping it arrives in time to put it on my GPS, otherwise I may have to resort to carrying one of those big paper thingies which blow away when you unfold them :o

« Reply #495 on: 16 May, 2012, 08:31:49 pm »
Roll call for the Severn View Travel lodge on Friday?

« Reply #496 on: 16 May, 2012, 08:37:17 pm »
Simon and I will be there.

Chris N

« Reply #497 on: 16 May, 2012, 08:48:57 pm »
Noted the "old-road" route between Builth Wells and Newbridge, but confess to being baffled by the "Scenic" diversion on Stage 6. Looking at the map I don't see any obvious alternative to the climb up to Cross Foxes?   No doubt all will become clear on receipt of an email from Blacksheep, just hoping it arrives in time to put it on my GPS, otherwise I may have to resort to carrying one of those big paper thingies which blow away when you unfold them :o

After leaving the YH, take the last right before the A470 into Dolgellau.  Follow the one way system through town and head east on Arran Way.  Take the 2nd or 3rd right uphill onto Fron Serth.  I think it's signposted NCN 8.  Keep going uphill until you reach the A487 then L then R onto the A470.

« Reply #498 on: 16 May, 2012, 09:03:00 pm »
After leaving the YH, take the last right before the A470 into Dolgellau.  Follow the one way system through town and head east on Arran Way.  Take the 2nd or 3rd right uphill onto Fron Serth.  I think it's signposted NCN 8.  Keep going uphill until you reach the A487 then L then R onto the A470.

Ah I see where you mean...but the OS display on bikehike (before it clicked off for the night) showed chevrons on a couple of places  :o
Me and chevrons do not go together, especially the morning after a long ride.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #499 on: 16 May, 2012, 09:08:11 pm »
Practicing...

'Doll-geth-lee', not 'Doll-gell-oh'.

R.