Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930271 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #22075 on: 13 February, 2020, 03:06:55 pm »
In my waters where two acts appear to contradict one another, the newer one wins (or at the very least the definition within the act applies to that act over and above any previous definition). Luckily the wildlife and countryside act 1981 section 66 clarifies things. I don't recall cycling on any bridleways during the intervening months of ambiguity so will sleep easily again.

That's not how legislation works...

Also s.66 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 makes clear that the provisions of s.30(1) of the Countryside Act 1968 are not relevant for the purposes of that Part of the 1981 Act:

"The provisions of section 30(1) of the 1968 Act (riding of pedal cycles on bridleways) shall not affect the definition of bridleway in subsection (1) and any rights exercisable by virtue of those provisions shall be disregarded for the purposes of this Part."
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Davef

« Reply #22076 on: 13 February, 2020, 03:38:23 pm »
So if there are two pieces of legislation that appear contradict one another, if it is not the most recent that takes precedence, how is it decided ? I thought it was called implied repeal or something similar. Maybe you could explain it in simply to someone less expert than yourself.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #22077 on: 13 February, 2020, 04:52:36 pm »
So if there are two pieces of legislation that appear contradict one another, if it is not the most recent that takes precedence, how is it decided ? I thought it was called implied repeal or something similar. Maybe you could explain it in simply to someone less expert than yourself.

If there are two legislation that appear to contradict each other (which isn't actually the case here, as the 1980 definition is limited in scope to that Act and the 1981 definition specifically excludes the 1968 provision) then it would be for a court to decide - Parliament makes the laws and judges interpret them. 

There is a doctrine of implied repeal but it doesn't apply to all legislation.  It is also tempered by the presumptions that the court will take into account in interpreting legislation:

- A presumption against retrospective effect of legislation
- A presumption against alteration of the law
- A presumption against the Crown being bound

Certain basic approaches to interpretation then apply:

- the Literal: words must be interpreted according to their literal, ordinary and natural meaning;
- where there's ambiguity, the Purposive:  words are interpreted not only in their ordinary sense but also with reference to their context and purpose;
- the Mischief Rule (see Heydon's Case)

There are various permutations and combinations and subsets of these approaches as well.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Davef

« Reply #22078 on: 13 February, 2020, 07:39:09 pm »
In my waters where two acts appear to contradict one another, the newer one wins (or at the very least the definition within the act applies to that act over and above any previous definition). Luckily the wildlife and countryside act 1981 section 66 clarifies things. I don't recall cycling on any bridleways during the intervening months of ambiguity so will sleep easily again.

That's not how legislation works...

Also s.66 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 makes clear that the provisions of s.30(1) of the Countryside Act 1968 are not relevant for the purposes of that Part of the 1981 Act:

"The provisions of section 30(1) of the 1968 Act (riding of pedal cycles on bridleways) shall not affect the definition of bridleway in subsection (1) and any rights exercisable by virtue of those provisions shall be disregarded for the purposes of this Part."
Thanks I had misunderstood. Rather than saying it was not relevant, I thought it was saying something along the lines of  “a bridleway is a right of way for walking, riding a horse as long as there are no other rights (if you disregard the rights for cyclists given in 1968)”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #22079 on: 13 February, 2020, 09:33:44 pm »
The hilarious thing with this particular "footway closed" sign was that it was because their was a hole in the pavement about a yard from a set of steps from a front door that run right across the pavement to the kerb meaning you have to divert into the road anyway. The village is hilly with a drop of up to  four feet between the road and and front doors. Sometimes the path rises to the doors and sometimes their are steps, presumably built before there was actually a defined pavement. The house in question with the steps was built in about 1700.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22080 on: 14 February, 2020, 06:29:41 am »
Fucking hell! I come here for some quality ranting and colourful bastard language, not polite, informed, discussion!
Get ranting or piss off!

(This post to be taken with pinches of salt)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #22081 on: 14 February, 2020, 07:59:07 am »
^ ^ POTD ^ ^
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22082 on: 14 February, 2020, 08:06:29 am »
For fuck's sake! I've got enough on my plate without strangers on the internet complaining about irrelevant shit! If you don't like it, you can just get back in your electron. Now. Wifi must have fried your branez. If you can't put up with me complaining about this, which I have every right to do, then you'll just have to bloody well lump it, because... Hang on, what was I complaining about?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22083 on: 14 February, 2020, 08:26:27 am »
Now this is a real rant (that didn't exist at previous post). A fucking stupid pop up box has just appeared on my browser telling me I can "take a snapshot, draw a circle or oval and watch it change into a heart." Valentine's special, obvs. FFS just no! No no NO NO NO
NO

« Reply #22084 on: 14 February, 2020, 08:55:28 am »
Was it suggesting this about a yacf post?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22085 on: 14 February, 2020, 04:12:04 pm »
That would actually have made sense! In as far as it ever could. But it was just a pop up window-let, illustrated with a circle turning into a heart drawn around a box of (heart shaped) cookies.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #22086 on: 14 February, 2020, 05:04:02 pm »
It might be that cyclists have a right to use a bridleway but do not have priority - the two are often confused/interchanged.
AIUI people have a right to use the highway, unless specifically prohibited (is a m'way actually a highway in that case?) and motorists have permission to use it.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22087 on: 14 February, 2020, 05:20:07 pm »
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #22088 on: 15 February, 2020, 05:38:04 pm »
Dear rain: please stop. Seriously. My bedroom is now uninhabitable thanks to the vast amount of water that's been pouring in through an ever-expanding leak. I have run out of buckets and towels and patience. >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22089 on: 15 February, 2020, 05:45:45 pm »
Ohnoes!

I hope this isn't going to turn into one of those protracted roofing sagas....

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22090 on: 15 February, 2020, 06:40:12 pm »
+1
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #22091 on: 15 February, 2020, 07:01:45 pm »
Oh shit, that's not good. I don't know where you are but the forecast I'm looking at says there will be quite a lot of rain overnight  :(
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22092 on: 15 February, 2020, 08:09:22 pm »
Uh oh.
IMG_20200215_190909 by Basil W, on Flickr
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #22093 on: 15 February, 2020, 09:02:20 pm »
At last, the rain has stopped for now.

Still, the bedroom's in a state, the spare room's also not an option (I've been building bookshelves in there) so tonight we shall be camping on an airbed in the living room!

« Reply #22094 on: 15 February, 2020, 09:47:14 pm »

Still, the bedroom's in a state, the spare room's also not an option (I've been building bookshelves in there) so tonight we shall be camping on an airbed in the living room!

...and now the bedroom's in even more of a state, because part of the ceiling has fallen in. :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22095 on: 15 February, 2020, 09:50:14 pm »
...at least airbeds float?   :(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22096 on: 15 February, 2020, 09:56:34 pm »

...and now the bedroom's in even more of a state, because part of the ceiling has fallen in. :facepalm:

Bloody hell mate.  Sympathies.
Not much help, I know, but we're thinking of you.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22098 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:43:53 am »
Crikey!

Roofs leaking has passed us now, after significant work four years ago.

But towels, buckets, drips and stains still wage war in my dreams...

Hopefully you’ll be like that soon
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22099 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:46:44 am »

Bloody hell mate.  Sympathies.
Not much help, I know, but we're thinking of you.

+1, hope its reasonably easily resolved
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens