Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 216616 times)

Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #1075 on: 17 September, 2019, 08:02:47 pm »
Bought a 4 bay QNAP NAS (https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/qnap-ts-431p-1gb-ram-4-bay-turbo-nas-2x-1gbe-lan-ts-431p/version.asp) and will fill it with 1TB drives and run RAID 5 for 3TB of storage.

I have a bunch of old hard drives (10-15) from old computers that I need to go through, copy stuff off, and then bin[1]. That should be way less than 500GB in total, I'll also give my brother a login so he can rsync his backup over to mine.

Once that's all done I'll start with the next project (Dallas 1-wire temp/humidity monitoring around the flat, also a project for a 5-a-side clock and score display). Oh to have time!

1. Wiping them with DBAN, then writing "BITCOINS" on them with a Sharpie and then teasingly throwing them into the computer parts bin at the recycling depot. Or is there a better recycling method?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1076 on: 17 September, 2019, 08:10:37 pm »
I got a few old hard disks*, which I need to deposit, might do the same with a sharpie, just for a laugh - or just a hammer for laugh

* still working but too small (slow) to use as back up or boot
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1077 on: 17 September, 2019, 08:55:57 pm »
Currently experiencing some flaky behaviour on my main ESX host so mid way through way through tearing that apart to replace while the secondary host sweats a bit under the extra load :-)

Also got an annoyingly noisey PSU fan in one of the NAS’s that I need to deal with as it’s driving me potty at the moment, not a technically difficult job but does require an annoying amount of disassembly so not got round to it yet, maybe tomorrow...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1078 on: 18 September, 2019, 12:08:16 am »
I've spend a quality evening's hacking session working on teaching the BHPC's timing software to understand the BHPC classification system.  This involved far more voodoo-VBA and general Excel-wrangling than a unisex spaceadmin finds comfortable.

Appears to work, but I need to sanity-check the workflow with someone who actually knows what they're doing before letting the modifications loose on live data.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1079 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:20:29 am »

I have a bunch of old hard drives (10-15) from old computers that I need to go through, copy stuff off, and then bin[1]. That should be way less than 500GB in total, I'll also give my brother a login so he can rsync his backup over to mine.

1. Wiping them with DBAN, then writing "BITCOINS" on them with a Sharpei and then teasingly throwing them into the computer parts bin at the recycling depot. Or is there a better recycling method

Thank you!!

Now I know what to do with my old HDs... my NAS is nearly empty and my local ‘Recycling Centre’ is much fun.
It is simpler than it looks.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1080 on: 20 January, 2020, 03:23:23 pm »
Over the last couple of weeks:

1) Consigned my XP installation to the bitbucket and resized my RAID1 Win7 installation to use the whole of the hybrid disks it lives on.  Unexpected bonus - Mint no longer seems confused by those drives.

2) Almost two years later than planned I upgraded my dual 16:9 letter box monitors to a WQHD+ beast.  It is lovely.   In the intervening delay the model I linked had gone obsolete.  The replacement model introduced HDR, that's gone obsolete too. I got a ViewSonic VP3881 which given the identical specs is probably the same thing with a different name on the box.

My elderly 1920x1080 screens were over meter wide, too wide to be practical.  The left screen was just park space in equal measure due to the 45mm dead zone down the middle and the extreme neck twist.  At my last 2 contracts I've had modern, dual 1920x1200 screens with thin bezels.  Not being 16bastard9 makes those much better than my previous home setup but still not one big space, one screen is always primary.  This is just one vast acreage of usable screen.  I needed a cold shower and a little lie down after running excel & LibreOffice calc for the first time.  The extra 25% vertical space is delicious.

Stats of actual screen space:
Old: 1000x27.5cm with 45mm dead zone, 3840x1080
New: 88x37cm, 3840x1600

The only grumble is there's no on screen display manager for linux.  Trying to do PIP using the buttons is tedious to the point of giving up.  It's not ViewSonic to blame - there's no support for hdmi-cec or DisplayPort aux channel in the NVidia drivers nor in nouveau.

3) Figured out why my attempts to blacklist the kernel floppy driver have not worked.  Not having the system repeatedly wait for a non-existant floppy drive knocked considerable time off the boot process.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #1081 on: 20 January, 2020, 04:58:22 pm »
Nvidia are notoriously crap at releasing good Linux drivers or enough info for other people to write good drivers. Shame really as they are good graphics cards.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1082 on: 20 January, 2020, 05:48:21 pm »
Nvidia are notoriously crap at releasing good Linux drivers or enough info for other people to write good drivers. Shame really as they are good graphics cards.

It's generally the reason I run Windows on my main desktop. It only really ever runs Firefox, Putty, VNC and Thunderbird. Certain sites that do streaming (BT Sport for example) are a bit hit and miss on Linux too.

That being said, I might be trying a bit of iPhone App development stuff and so I'll probably switch our home machine to a Mac(Book) at some point.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1083 on: 20 January, 2020, 07:13:05 pm »
Feelin' good.

Been several months now I haven't been able to get to the NAS from my Windows box, nothing obvious wrong, seemed like network settings were wrong, but I hadn't changed them.

Hmmm.

Thought I would try to troubleshoot tonight. Workign through, I still got the generic "Can't connect" - even though I know it was visible on the network and everything was up. Let's try a drive map "No, I'm not going to do that because I've decided that SMB1 is Not Good For You and mummy microsoft knows best"

Ah ha! a quick google later and running optionalfeatures.exe, support switched back on, all good.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #1084 on: 23 January, 2020, 06:03:22 pm »
Was going to install an SSD in my mother's PC, then install Win 10. But realised need a bracket to hold the 2.5" SSD in the space for 3.5" drive. So now ordered one of them.

Have upgraded the RAM anyway. Anyone want a stick of 2GB DDR2 DIMM RAM?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1085 on: 23 January, 2020, 09:15:34 pm »
Tinkered with Kodi, as the TV data base scraper was b0rked. Changed to a different scraper and now waiting for it to finish scanning my library. I've also found an update to the b0rked scraper so might install that.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1086 on: 23 January, 2020, 09:22:30 pm »
I need to install Windows 10 on the computer upstairs because Windows 7 is out of support.  I have put this off because I use Windows 10 at work and it sucks arse (although not so much as Office 365, which sucks goats' knobs in hell).

I use Linux on the laptop but I need Windows to update a couple of devices, like my Garmin.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1087 on: 23 January, 2020, 09:40:18 pm »
You do know you can still do the official W10 upgrade for free?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1088 on: 05 February, 2020, 10:20:07 pm »
My roundcube webmail box has been slowly expiring.
The spinning-rust HDD has been occasionally, but increasingly frequently, failing to spin back up from sleepy mode.
It spends a lot of time in sleepy mode, because it's a linux box, not a win box thrashing the registry 24/7.
Linux becomes unhappy when the root filesystem is off-line!

So a new SSD ( rather smaller than then the HDD it replaced, which was never more than about 5% full! )
Clean CentOS7 install.
yum install all the latest versions of the packages required.
Nice fresh download of the latest roundcube.

A nice clean modern skin.

All up and working in about 3 hours.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1089 on: 06 February, 2020, 02:31:06 pm »
I need to install Windows 10 on the computer upstairs because Windows 7 is out of support.  I have put this off because I use Windows 10 at work and it sucks arse (although not so much as Office 365, which sucks goats' knobs in hell).

I use Linux on the laptop but I need Windows to update a couple of devices, like my Garmin.

Could you not use virtualbox to host a windows 10 VM to update those devices?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #1090 on: 11 February, 2020, 04:08:01 pm »
Virtualbox can be troublesome with W10/USB, so no guarantee.

« Reply #1091 on: 11 February, 2020, 06:37:04 pm »
Last weekend I had to make the change from OpenSuseLeap15.1 to OpenSuse Tumbleweed. I need the more recent kernel to support the GPU in the AMD CPU else my nice shiny new 27" monitor was stuck in 1024 x 768!!

Fortunately the upgrade went smoothly and I was able to retain the mount points for the data drives without having to manually configure them in the install process.

Phil W

« Reply #1092 on: 11 February, 2020, 06:42:36 pm »
Sort of.

Turned on encryption on my Android phone the other day. But that seemed to bugger up the boot process so it got stuck after the initial decryption.  So booted into recovery, formatted the storage, reinstalled android then restored the phone from the most recent cloud backup from six days ago. Photos backed up to Google photos more recently so all good. All working again.

Took opportunity to go from Nougat to Oreo whilst reinstalling android.

« Reply #1093 on: 11 February, 2020, 07:28:46 pm »
Dug out an old Hi-Grade W7 Pro 64-bit PC that I’d bought used a long time ago, as I now have a potential use for it.

It consistently crashes midway through loading Windows, repeated applications of Windows Startup Repair would get it booting for a while, then the crashing started again.

A check of the RAM and disk didn’t reveal any errors, so a Windows reinstall is called for, but having been bought used, no installation DVD.

Found a source on eBay, but before ordering it I wanted to satisfy myself that it could run Windows OK, so I hunted around my library of installation CDs and found an old copy of W2K(!) Workstation.  That installed OK (apart from a predictable lack of drivers for some of my hardware), so W7 Pro DVD duly ordered.

As the intended use is as a web server, I splashed out on an upgrade from the current 2Gb to 8Gb (second-hand DIMMs, obviously!). 

Fingers crossed that when the bits arrive later in the week all will be well.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1094 on: 17 February, 2020, 10:48:54 am »
Good luck with that. I have a power supply sitting around that is destined to go in my main box when the dodgy fan in the current one finally expires, but I don't relish the thought of reconnecting everything (think open-heart surgery) so I'm waiting until my hand's forced.

Minor fettle today: I regressed my Photoshop CC to the 2019 version, since the 2020 version can't display the picture I want to work on - the screen just flashes. It's probably because I only have 8Gb on my creaky W7 box but I'm not getting a new one any time soon.  The other bits of 2020 - Bridge and Raw - seem to mesh with it OK.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1095 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:49:10 pm »
Dug out an old Hi-Grade W7 Pro 64-bit PC that I’d bought used a long time ago, as I now have a potential use for it.

It consistently crashes midway through loading Windows, repeated applications of Windows Startup Repair would get it booting for a while, then the crashing started again.

A check of the RAM and disk didn’t reveal any errors, so a Windows reinstall is called for, but having been bought used, no installation DVD.

Found a source on eBay, but before ordering it I wanted to satisfy myself that it could run Windows OK, so I hunted around my library of installation CDs and found an old copy of W2K(!) Workstation.  That installed OK (apart from a predictable lack of drivers for some of my hardware), so W7 Pro DVD duly ordered.

As the intended use is as a web server, I splashed out on an upgrade from the current 2Gb to 8Gb (second-hand DIMMs, obviously!). 

Fingers crossed that when the bits arrive later in the week all will be well.

Update:

W7 installation was a nightmare.  Got stuck in an endless loop where it appeared to install OK, but errored as soon as I tried to run it, saying that the installation hadn't finished (it had).

Eventually found a post on the net which advised tweaking a setup registry setting, after which it loaded and ran OK.

Except that it crashed as soon as I inserted my USB WiFi NIC - every time - and at one point even with the NIC removed it crashed on a Scan for New Hardware.  Added to that, the internal NIC refused to load its drivers, too, leaving me with no connectivity at all.

Eventually (not sure what I actually did), I managed to get it to run OK with the USB WiFi dongle in situ, so at least it would talk to my network.  Now it's finally working, I've installed the web app software that I'm planning to develop with, and everything seems hunky-dory.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1096 on: 21 February, 2020, 05:22:18 pm »
Made Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)’s landline work again.  Cordless phone speaks to base station, base station base station speaks wirelessly to box of tricks also connected to other handset and Mr Branson's router.  Box of tricks blinkenlight not blinken.  Unplug power cord.  Plug into different socket.  Do happy bounce as phone starts to speak to base station again.  Hurrah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1097 on: 01 March, 2020, 04:52:48 pm »
Three months back I managed to kill my Mac Pro (2009 vintage) with misuse of an air duster (fluid propellant leaked out, and there was a big cloud of vapour). Then it refused to boot, ever again. It went off to a repair shop and caused much headscratching. Both the processor tray and backplane board were replaced and it still didn't work. So I got another, slightly newer machine off the bay a couple of weeks back & have now got everything back up and running. Ever so slightly faster than the dead one (3.46 six-core versus 3.33), I have now three SSDs (boot on PCIe card/Windows/spare), my RX 580 8GB in for video (with Mac boot screen…I'd only just fitted that when I killed it), my HDs in (and unaffected), and a few parts to sell to cover some of the cost. After three months of just using my old MacBook, it's nice to have all the Xeon power back…

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1098 on: 03 March, 2020, 06:32:18 pm »
Replaced the PSU in my mail server due to clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety fan.

( I had the PSU already hence the lazy approach to the problem)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1099 on: 08 March, 2020, 11:22:05 pm »
The HP Microserver that is my primary e-mail server amongst other things has just died.
PSU failure.

To keep things running till I get a replacement PSU, it's powered by jump-leads connected to the lightning conductors.  The monster lives!

Server resurrected by Ron Lowe, on Flickr