Author Topic: The Male Gaze  (Read 14115 times)

ian

Re: The Male Gaze
« Reply #125 on: 08 February, 2021, 11:25:36 am »
But that's different from the sort of gaze that follows them home and starts trying the doors, which sometimes seems a lost distinction on some men.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #126 on: 08 February, 2021, 12:43:04 pm »
I was talking about the appraisal earlier, not the ogling which is still often ubiquitous. I'm obviously modern enough that my toes curl when I hear the builder's wolf-whistle and 'alright love, smiling won't kill you.' If I could organize an air-strike, I'm sure it would kill them. It's an attitude that gradually seems on the way out, though not nearly fast enough. I'd also be terrified and angry if I had a daughter. Probably if I had a son too, in case he turns out like that. I'm not sure what parents do with their disappointing children. I figure statistically, at least some of the parents here must look at least one of their children and think 'why?'

But yes, daughters if you're a father. I can only imagine that I'd be in a state of abstract terror. Strangely though, that doesn't seem to inform the behaviour of some men (which I don't understand, I wouldn't want someone letching after my daughter, not even the fictional one, so why do it to someone else's?) I think we're back to education with ordnance.

I have a daughter of 24. She is in showbiz online, and dresses for that in a way that does sometimes make me cringe. However, she's also extremely capable and more than somewhat scary for any man who dares to disrespect her (including me!), whether virtually or IRL. Her mother is equally intimidating. I have no fears for either of them.

bairn again

« Reply #127 on: 08 February, 2021, 01:00:12 pm »
Yes, having two daughters filled me with a bit of fear ("what will it be like when they are teenagers, will I be able to cope?") but they are very capable and their mum did a good job in their upbringing that I only ever see positive reinforcement that their "good guy / wanker" antennae are accurately adjusted.     

ian

« Reply #128 on: 08 February, 2021, 01:09:51 pm »
Which is all fine and good, but equally, it shouldn't be the case that women should have to be fearless and able to fight off constant unwanted male attention. Not all will have that confidence and the fault isn't with them.

« Reply #129 on: 08 February, 2021, 03:22:20 pm »
2 step daughters
1 daughter
wife

ALL of them have been on the receiving end of harassment. Ranging from obscene cat calling to stalking down a dark street for hours.

(when you are a father, get a call at 1am from your daughter who is 200miles away to say they are really scared, there is a man following them, he's been following them for the past half hour after he made obscene suggestions at a bus stop - that is when you know a bitter terrified helplessness and rage at anyone who acts like this to anyone.)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #130 on: 08 February, 2021, 04:20:43 pm »
There's that, but that's what, as men, we hear about. But there's lower level stuff, the need to consider your route home so you don't pass the building site baboons, considering where you can and can't cycle or jog in lycra, your walk home from the station after an after-work drink with friends, etc. etc. Men, to be honest, are often quite shit.

« Reply #131 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:00:21 pm »
Gentlemen, that reminds me.

Back in the 80's I had a senior position in a meeja company. The CE and myself shared a secretary, she was a Brigitte Nielsen lookalike, around 6ft, payed up to the part, dressed to kill, and yes I  (and about everyone else) gazed. I strongly suspect we were meant to and that had people stopped gazing, she would have started banging the sides and waggling the aerial to try to get it working again.

In my defence, apart from it being the 80's, I also recognised that she was much brighter and more capable than the job she was doing, and offered her a move into IT support. Last I heard she was head of IT for a substantial organisation.

« Reply #132 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:14:41 pm »
I generally get on with the women in the organisation I work in.
I like to think that is, amongst other reasons, in no small part, down to the fact that I do not harass.
The same cannot be said of some, not all, but a significant number of, the men I work with.
The guy from security is un-fucking-believable.
If you are wearing a skirt, you'll not get past his hut without unsolicited comment.
I'm delighted to say that the (woman) PA I work with has had words with him and put him in his place.
These days, when he sees her coming, he retreats to skulk in his hut.  8)

sam

« Reply #133 on: 09 February, 2021, 08:47:33 am »
More food for thought from ContraPoints:

(click to show/hide)

“Some little observations I’ve made based on a handful of anecdotes.”

The image has been placed within <spoiler> tags.  Some employers are less receptive to pictures of women in states of undress than others.

Faithfully

Your shiny metal servant

sam

« Reply #134 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:17:00 pm »
Quote from: shiny metal servant
The image has been placed within <spoiler> tags.  Some employers are less receptive to pictures of women in states of undress than others.

My apologies, I should've thought to do that.

(click to show/hide)

I don't always agree with Natalie Wynn, but I'm a big fan.

on edit much later: Or was, blinded by production values

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #135 on: 10 May, 2021, 01:42:41 pm »
Aimee, a 44-year-old screenwriter who lives in Los Angeles, said that wearing a mask in public even after she’s been vaccinated gives her a kind of “emotional freedom”. “I don’t want to feel the pressure of smiling at people to make sure everyone knows I’m ‘friendly’ and ‘likeable’,” she said. “It’s almost like taking away the male gaze. There’s freedom in taking that power back.”

The male gaze in the non-artistic sense. And many other, but similar, reasons that some people want to carry on wearing a mask in public as long as they can:

“In the United States there is an obligation to appear happy, and I get told to smile and ‘be happy’ a lot, which is very annoying,” he said. “The mask frees me from this.”

“I’m short and fat and if I don’t moisturize compulsively, my face is constantly flaking,” she said. “It’s easy to feel like I’m surrounded by mocking, disapproving eyes … Nothing has shielded me from the feeling of vulnerability like a mask has.”

"The night of the Atlanta murders, I was messaging with another Asian American friend and she mentioned making sure to wear sunglasses and a mask before she went out, just so that no one could see her eyes or nose and guess she’s Asian,” said Jane C Hu, a 34-year-old science journalist living in Seattle. “I definitely feel a sense of protection when no one can see my face.”

“I appreciated that I felt a bit more anonymous in a mask and more gender ambiguous,” they said. “After lockdown ended, it was confronting to go out and be exposed to all that offhand racism, sexism and misgendering from strangers again … Sometimes when I’m just going out to grab takeaway, I’ve enjoyed keeping the mask on even though it’s not really necessary here now.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/10/the-people-who-want-to-keep-masking-its-like-an-invisibility-cloak
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #136 on: 10 May, 2021, 02:00:00 pm »
Burkas?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #137 on: 10 May, 2021, 02:04:47 pm »
I have noticed here in the UK (those examples are all transponders) that hijabbed women seem more likely to wear facemasks in the street than the average. That could be for a variety of reasons though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #138 on: 10 May, 2021, 03:44:44 pm »
Sure, I think the whole thing is fairly complicated.  I do like not having to shave first thing in the morning!

« Reply #139 on: 11 May, 2021, 12:11:00 pm »
I've enjoyed not having to shave first thing in the century, but that's got very little to do with masks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #140 on: 11 May, 2021, 12:31:21 pm »
I remember shaving. Just. 1982ish I think it was.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #141 on: 11 May, 2021, 02:21:11 pm »
I do like not having to shave first thing in the morning!
Shave late in the evening then. :thumbsup:

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #142 on: 11 May, 2021, 08:41:32 pm »
I gave up shaving my face in 2010, top of head gets the occasional shave.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #143 on: 13 May, 2021, 07:59:51 pm »
My facial hair grows slowly enough that I can shave once a week but the discrepancy between my skin colour and hair colour means I never appear clean shaven, and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks about that.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #144 on: 14 May, 2021, 03:22:22 pm »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, I only skimmed, but this seems pertinent for illustration of the male gaze, for anyone still confused:

https://thehawkeyeinitiative.tumblr.com/

I also enjoy (for limited definitions of the word "enjoy") Men Write Women:

https://twitter.com/menwritewomen

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #145 on: 15 May, 2021, 12:48:08 am »
I know we've had this before, but on that basis it deserves a repost:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JUWBoYwAgaE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/JUWBoYwAgaE&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/JUWBoYwAgaE

« Reply #146 on: 15 May, 2021, 07:16:35 am »
I know we've had this before, but on that basis it deserves a repost:

https://youtu.be/JUWBoYwAgaE
Clickbait?