General Category > The Knowledge

Project Handlebar

(1/34) > >>

nikki:
Right. It's fettling weather and I want to get the handlebars on my Galaxy sorted out. (They're currently a bit bodged pending enough miles to know if the set-up's right for me, but I'm thinking it's probably close enough.)

Starting a dedicated thread in anticipation of lots of newbie questions as I go along...

First question: is this brake cable (between the front brake cross-top lever and the frame) a bit too long? I'm thinking I'd get a gentler curve if I trimmed it by a centimetre or two? (I'll also be fixing a mount for a bar bag, and this is fouling a bit as it is.

Second question, as I think through bar tape wrapping: I spend most of my time on the tops and hoods, really only going to the hooks on descents if I feel I need the extra leverage on the brakes. I'm dithering a bit about direction of wrap as most of the things I've read seem orientated towards time on the drops. Any thoughts?

andrew_s:
Yes, it looks like you would get a better cable line if you trimmed the section of outer between the crosstop lever and the cable hanger. Perhaps 4 or 5 cm?

I'd aim to wrap bar tape starting at the bar ends and working towards the stem, with the wrap going over the top and down the outside on the section behind the drop lever. That way, your hand slides forwards onto the lever hood without lifting/rolling the exposed tape edge, and hands on the section of tape behind the lever tend to tighten the wrap.
It is possible to reverse the direction of wrap whilst going past the lever clamp.

Kim:
Can't think of a reason not to trim that.  LMK if you need some brake cable outer ;)

On a related note, I've got some shifters for you (somewhere).

I know almost nothing about bar tape, but AIUI starting at the bar ends is important for its reduced tendency to unwrap?

Polar Bear:
Personally I'd go for shorter but it's just aesthetics.   

I'd have the cable coming straight out horizontally then curving gracefully into the cable hanger barrel adjuster.

I managed to wrap my bars differently each side last time.   I don't notice any benefit or detriment for either side.   I start at the bar ends and usually work from inside to out so if you're looking from the rear forwards the left bar starts with an anticlockwise wrap, the right with clockwise. 

nikki:

--- Quote from: andrew_s on 13 January, 2015, 02:22:03 pm ---Yes, it looks like you would get a better cable line if you trimmed the section of outer between the crosstop lever and the cable hanger. Perhaps 4 or 5 cm?

--- End quote ---

Will compromise with several small snips and trying not to be too rash straight away!

--- Quote from: Polar Bear on 13 January, 2015, 02:26:46 pm ---work from inside to out so if you're looking from the rear forwards the left bar starts with an anticlockwise wrap, the right with clockwise. 

--- End quote ---

I keep getting lost when I try to visualise it - think I'm just going to have to get the tape out and do a dummy run!
Thing is I've got quite spongey tape, so it looks like it's 'undoing' whichever way I put pressure on it  :facepalm:
Will have to have a think about the direction change option too.

--- Quote from: Kim on 13 January, 2015, 02:25:49 pm ---I know almost nothing about bar tape, but AIUI starting at the bar ends is important for its reduced tendency to unwrap?

--- End quote ---

More unpeeling sort of thing - think roof tiles. Bar-ends to centre is the one bit I'm clear on! That and that I don't like insulation tape...

--- Quote from: Kim on 13 January, 2015, 02:25:49 pm ---LMK if you need some brake cable outer ;)

--- End quote ---

;D Only if you've got a bit you can spare...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version