Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514006 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Black Magic chocolates are nothing like as good as they used to be.  :'(
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
+1
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Well, I'm just going to have to try some now and find out, aren't I?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Well, I'm just going to have to try some now and find out, aren't I?

It'll cost you over seven quid, for very average chocolates.  I got a reduced price (£5) from Tesco cos the box was damaged.  The idea was to test them myself before buying another box as a gift.  Good idea, that.  :smug:

The chocolate shells are not as dark and brittle as they used to be, and the fillings aren't as tasty, and they don't have any near-liquid fillings that they used to have some of.  Black Tragic.

Cudzoziemiec

TBH I'm not sure they ever were that good but they were a fixture of childhood Christmasses cos my grandmother loved them. Now, what about Terry's All Gold?

TBH I'm not sure they ever were that good but they were a fixture of childhood Christmasses cos my grandmother loved them. Now, what about Terry's All Gold?

All Gold was my Mum's favourite. Well, I mean might still be, not bought her a box for years. Probably not so good now. Nowadays, I tend to buy her little bars of Green and Blacks or similar.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
You do the test for us on Terry's All Gold, Cudzo.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Terry's All Gold also not as good as they were. However, Tesco Value chocolates are the worst thing in the whole world. They're like war crime awful. I'm pretty sure some of them are filled with drain cleaner. I'd rather have John Prescott's cock in my mouth.

Just watching Saturday Kitchen while having a cup of coffee - Pierre Koffmann has just put a cooked duck on the same cutting board he prepared the raw duck on, and also carried on handling food after he had cut his thumb with blood visible on it.  :-\

...but then, he is French.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Just watching Saturday Kitchen while having a cup of coffee - Pierre Koffmann has just put a cooked duck on the same cutting board he prepared the raw duck on, and also carried on handling food after he had cut his thumb with blood visible on it.  :-\

That is a cringeworthy food hygiene FAIL and ought to be grinked.

A recipe card fell out of the paper today, with recipes for turkey and the trimmings. One of the trimmings is sausages wrapped in bacon. It says "Serves 8", and calls for 6 rashers of bacon, and 18 sausages.

So that's 2 and a quarter each then.... ???
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

My kitchen smells of Christmas - I've just made mincemeat  :)
California Dreaming

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay

That is a cringeworthy food hygiene FAIL and ought to be grinked.

I'm not complaining.  The guests who ate the food included Chris Evans.  Poisoning Chris Evans is to be encouraged!  :demon:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I don't like sherry.

Cudzoziemiec

You do the test for us on Terry's All Gold, Cudzo.
I can't. At least not until Christmas Eve, as I've given up sweets (yes, including chocolate! and cake!) till then. So in the meantime we'll go with EG's verdict, which I'm sure is correct.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #190 on: 09 December, 2012, 07:25:09 pm »
You can make exceptions in the name of science, Cudzo.

What jam is in Jammie Dodgers?  Raspberry flavour plum jam.  ::-)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
New shape Cadbury's Dairy Milk - not as good as the classic squares.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

I've just had my first coffee made with my Iberital MC2 I got off AndrewC of this very parish. Very good too and set up at just the right burr gap. I just need to fine tune the timer settings and we're there. Oh, it was a very decent Columbian coffee from my local roaster, a free sample.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
I'm making mince pies. I usually make them with plain shortcrust pastry, but I'm considering using sweet pastry instead.

So, sweet or plain? What's best?

LindaG

I'm making mince pies. I usually make them with plain shortcrust pastry, but I'm considering using sweet pastry instead.

Put the pastry back in the fridge.  Drink some sherry.  Don't you have Mr Kipling round there?

HTH

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.

Put the pastry back in the fridge.  Drink some sherry.  Don't you have Mr Kipling round there?

HTH

I like making mince pies. Fresh out of the oven, much nicer than Mr Kipling's offerings. Makes the whole house smell like Christmas. :)

LindaG

Giz one then.  Sweet pastry.

Sherry on the side please.

Oooh - dunking!

Puff pastry. Mind you I tend to use ready made pastry. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Plain. Mincemeat is sweet enough IMO.
Bake well. Shop mince pies are usually totally undercooked.  :sick:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Today's paper says an Edinburgh chippy is doing deep-fried Christmas pudding.  :smug: