Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512288 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
I have just made two cherry madeira cakes, one for work and one for home.  All ingredients done by eye because I lost the recipe years ago.  Some margarine, some sugar, four eggs, some milk, some flour, some ground almonds, some glace cherries.  Anyway, they're spot on.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Someone brought in chocolate biscuits. I had a bite of one. It was cola flavoured and it was utterly disgusting. Do not eat Rocky cola biscuits. They are vile. You will not enjoy it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Clare

• Is in NZ
When I make pickled onions I always put a couple of dried chillis in the jar along with the shallots, a couple of bay leaves, a few peppercorns and a few coriander seeds and pickling vinegar. This time I had a scotch bonnet I couldn't decide what to do with so that went in instead of the usual chillis.

Boy are they hot. Both Vernon and I have chilli head work colleagues  :demon:.

Someone brought in chocolate biscuits. I had a bite of one. It was cola flavoured and it was utterly disgusting. Do not eat Rocky cola biscuits. They are vile. You will not enjoy it.

Shop nearby had multipacks on a ridiculous discount, presumably for this reason.  Very weird.  In a what the hell was that in my mouth way.  Couldn't decide if I could actually enjoy eating them or not, but couldn't bring myself to not eat them.  I'd paid a whole 20p for half a dozen, not throwing them away.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Made my first dhal using a dhal spice kit. It was a bit bland. Next time I try making it I will put more of everything in it.
Specially hot stuff  :demon:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
What spices were in your kit and what sort of dhal did you use?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
The kit recipe said red lentils but after reading Kirst's recipe I used 50/50 red and green. The kit contained turmeric, cumin, mustard seeds, curry leaves and I didn't have any root ginger so I used a 'very lazy' ginger sachet.

Cudzoziemiec

Sounds tasty but not especially hot. I find curry leaves are kind of like bay leaves in their effect!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
So, the consensus is hunners of frikkin hot chillies then? ;)

Cudzoziemiec

Probably not. Unless you're sure you want to.  ;)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Well, maybe not hunners then...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I made some with finger chillies in. It's for tomorrow's tea but the taste i just had appears to have a bit more bite to it. Next I have to fathom out how thin my naan dough needs to be...

Cudzoziemiec

About the same as your graamp dough.

IGMC

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I made a litre of grapefruit curd last night. I've just discussed it with a colleague and we reckon that 2 grapefruit (or pamplemice, to use the French), 400g sugar, 4 whole eggs, 2 egg yolks, juice of 2 lemons and 100g butter mean that the curd is pretty much a full meal by itself - it's got all the food groups. Half a jar for tea tonight?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I've decided not to bother making naan bread again.

RJ

• Droll rat
I made a litre of grapefruit curd last night. I've just discussed it with a colleague and we reckon that 2 grapefruit (or pamplemice, to use the French), 400g sugar, 4 whole eggs, 2 egg yolks, juice of 2 lemons and 100g butter mean that the curd is pretty much a full meal by itself - it's got all the food groups. Half a jar for tea tonight?

... on a small meringue?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Be careful or avoid grapefruit if you're on drugs.  It potentiates some, inhibits others.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I don't like meringue and the only drug I'm on is antihistamines. And the drug of love, of course.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
I don't like meringue and the only drug I'm on is antihistamines. And the drug of love, of course.

Grapefruit can have some fairly horrific interactions with some Anti-histamines, causing heart problems.

The antihistamines terfenadine and mizolastine can interact with some other medicines and with grapefruit juice to cause a serious abnormal heart rhythm. These antihistamines are only available on prescription from your doctor who will give you advice.

http://www.foodanddruginteractions.co.uk/drugs-foods-react-with-antihistamines.html

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I doubt small amounts of grapefruit in food would be a problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning the topic of grapefruit with drugs in general.  One whole grapefruit is enough to be a serious problem with some drugs, potentially fatal in some cases.

Perhaps it warrants its own thread.  Trouble is, it can be hard to work out what drugs are affected in what way due to the amount of contradiction on the net, especially with drugs that are converted to another drug by the liver, etc.  It's complicated.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

So some people say they won't eat spreads rather than butter as flies will land on butter but won't touch the spreads. I can see their point as the spreads aren't/don't look like food to the flies, etc etc.

But, flies land on poo, and I wouldn't spread that on my toast  :-\
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mrs B & I had a good old-fashioned heart attack lunch today. Fried bacon, fried eggs, fried bread (in the fat left over from the bacon & eggs), sausages (a classy touch: venison & red wine from Vicar's, the best local butcher), baked beans, grilled mushrooms & grilled tomatoes. Tasty & very filling.

And now I'm watching the rugby.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

MFWHTBAB and I are having a bit of a foodie weekend. Last night, I did a Hugh F-W recipe for chicken with plums and soy (recipe found in a magazine abandoned in Cafe Nero), with noodles and sugar snap peas. Tonight we're going to celebrate New Year with a fusion dish - Hoisin Haggis wraps - couldn't find Chinese pancake wrappers, so we're using tortillas instead.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Today I made chocolate tofu pudding with some leftover silken tofu, some melted dark chocolate and a wee bit of icing sugar.
It was better than throwing the tofu away anyway.

In prep for trip out to Bosnia at Easter, I started looking up general travel info.

Found a Bosnian travel info site. Regarding national cuisine, it says

If you like meat and potatoes, you are in for a real treat!
<i>Marmite slave</i>