Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 507895 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
In prep for trip out to Bosnia at Easter, I started looking up general travel info.

Found a Bosnian travel info site. Regarding national cuisine, it says

If you like meat and potatoes, you are in for a real treat!

OT like reference 'Anyone who gets **** to work for him will be extremely lucky'...

Julian

• samoture
I've just eaten a goat cheese mini Babybel.  I can't work out if I liked it or not.

MFWHTBAB and I ate very well this weekend - ate out Friday, I cooked two special meals Saturday and Sunday. Well, by special, I mean not my usual pasta and tomato based sauce.

I was thinking we'd been fairly extravagant, but totting up the two meals, I reckon it came to £15 for two meals for two (including a ready made lemon tart for pudding both days), and to be honest each meal could have fed three at a pinch!

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I have made a birthday related lemon polenta cake :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
When a pub or restaurant warns you that their Chili is rather hot, believe them.

Myself, Mrs T, TLD and the Clan Torlslanda visited The Maltings in York yesterday.  TLD ordered Chili Tacos.  Just in case I ordered Steak pie, so we could swap if needs be.  After one mouthful TLD went BRIGHT red and asked to swap.  When I tried it I realised why, and I couldn't finish it! It was very tasty, just a bit too much on the spicy side.

The Maltings is well worth a visit, though as it does brilliant food and fantastic beer!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

When a pub or restaurant warns you that their Chili is rather hot, believe them.

Myself, Mrs T, TLD and the Clan Torlslanda visited The Maltings in York yesterday.  TLD ordered Chili Tacos.  Just in case I ordered Steak pie, so we could swap if needs be.  After one mouthful TLD went BRIGHT red and asked to swap.  When I tried it I realised why, and I couldn't finish it! It was very tasty, just a bit too much on the spicy side.

The Maltings is well worth a visit, though as it does brilliant food and fantastic beer!

Yes, I've been with people who ordered chilli there, so I never have. It annoys me a bit, when public eateries make chilli very hot. I'd like to have chilli, sometimes but never dare.  If they want to give people the option to have really hot chilli, they should provide some very hot sauce on the side.

When I went to Mexico, in fact, that's what they did in the couple of restaurants we ate in. The chilli was mild, but the hot sauce was to one side, and you could take as much or little as you liked.

Glad to hear that the Maltings is still good though. Used to be a regular haunt of mine with a late friend, but I've not been for years.  I should take MFWHTBAB there.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Oops:
Thousands of litres of whisky have been flushed down the drain by accident at a bottling plant in Dumbarton.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21614304
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I've eaten all the food in my desk. Why didn't I bring in some of the scones I made last night? :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I made celeriac remoulade this weekend. Don't know why I've never made it before - it's extremely simple: mayonnaise and Dijon mustard mixed with finely shredded celeriac. The hardest part is peeling the bloody celeriac.

Tangy, crunchy, delicious.

d.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Julian

• samoture
That was one of my favourite salads before I developed a gigantic allergic reaction to celery, and haven't dared try celeriac since.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The root apparently contains more allergen than the stalks, so you're wise to avoid it.

Celeriac remoulade is one of those things I eat a lot of in France but very rarely see over here.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jogler

• mojo operandi
Marj has just done home-made rice pudding :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
Our cupboard:
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
We've got a shelf a bit like that.  I bought two jars of nutella the other day, and while putting the shopping away (which involved some clambering, due to in-progress woodwork project occupying most of the living room), barakta handed me three jars.  It seems that they'd been breeding behind the tea...

clarion

• Tyke
I don't even eat the bloody stuff.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
Our cupboard:

but Marmitte Rules,O.K..

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Neither do I.

Or Marmite, which we inexplicably have a jar of, in spite of neither of us eating it (it occasionally features in kitchen pr0n[1] photos).  I offered it to a friend who was after vegan sandwich materials a while back, and discovered the use by date was in 2007.  They ate it anyway, on the basis that "it's not exactly going to go off, is it?".  It hadn't.

[1] In the uk.rec.cycling sense

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
For Marmite, as for honey, the use by date refers to disintegration of the packaging.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
You mean one day we're going to open the cupboard and find the shelf oozing in marmite?  Ohdear...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I'd like Nutella more if it had as much chocolate in it as I expect from the colour.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Marmite does get thicker and harder to spead when it's old.

The nutella mountain is mainly due to me eating toast or such about once a month and trying to ensure an adequate supply to last until that day arrives.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Our cupboard:

Given the current circumstances, is it a hormonal thing?  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Or perhaps made of ground nuts, to ensure no repeat.  :-X
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
Our cupboard:

Given the current circumstances, is it a hormonal thing?  ;D

No.  This is the horror I have to live with.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Neither do I.

Or Marmite, which we inexplicably have a jar of, in spite of neither of us eating it (it occasionally features in kitchen pr0n[1] photos).  I offered it to a friend who was after vegan sandwich materials a while back, and discovered the use by date was in 2007.  They ate it anyway, on the basis that "it's not exactly going to go off, is it?".  It hadn't.

[1] In the uk.rec.cycling sense

I'm sure my Marmite jar is older than that; I think I bough it for giraffe when he did essential works here while I was moving into the house. It's still OK.