Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514588 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Can I make Wotsits out of corn packing material?

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Olives with an egg, bacon and sausage bap.

Bohemian cafes round here we have.
It is simpler than it looks.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
How do I make the corn crispy without melting or shrinking it?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
I love my colleagues sometimes. I got to work on my birthday Friday, and found that one of my co-workers had smuggled this into the office:

Birthday Cake by dibdib2, on Flickr

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
About to consume fluffy sourdough cast off pancakes.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Made rhubarb crumble today, using rhubarb freshly cut from the garden. Bloody good it was too, if I say so myself.

Had some toasted pinhead oats left over from last time we made cranachan so I added them to the crumble topping. Really works - adds a nice bit of crunch and the toasty oaty flavour goes well with the rhubarb.

Nice big dollop of creamy vanilla ice cream on the side.

Managed to restrain myself, so only had three generous helpings.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I appear to have (count 'em) not one, nor two, not even three, but yes FOUR bags of frozen spinach in my freezer. wt veritable f.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Spinach pierogi! Like tortellini really, but no egg - this actually makes it easier to make the dough - and bigger.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Recipe please, Cudzo.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Spinach pierogi! Like tortellini really, but no egg - this actually makes it easier to make the dough - and bigger.
sounds very carb-y. I'll stick with my omelettes, soup and frittata. And it's frozen, so will last a while

Cudzoziemiec

sounds very carb-y. I'll stick with my omelettes, soup and frittata. And it's frozen, so will last a while
Sorry, I'd forgotten about your ketonautacy. Omelettes sound good to me!

Anyway, here's the recipe for Basil:

500g plain flour
half teaspoon salt
1 glass lukewarm water

Simply mix on a board or clean tabletop or whatever and roll it out. Make it into circles, which you fold over and fill with whatever - apart from spinach, popular varieties are mashed potato and white cheese (like cottage cheese), pearl barley and cheese, green lentils, and sweet varieties.

For the more esoteric eater - Non GMO Himalayan Pink salt. :facepalm:
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

Cudzoziemiec

:facepalm: indeed. It's probably just a cockup through overenthusiastic application of marketing labels, but calling it "rock pink salt" sounds funny too, as opposed to "pink rock salt". Possibly in addition to "no G to M because salt is not an O" this particular salt does not even come from a rock? Buzzwords become weasel words.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
On the way to the train station in Embra on Thursday I made a very slight detour to Coco of Broughton Street and treated myself to a box of their very fine cherries dipped in dark chocolate. They are this: NOM :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Just found the last two Montezuma chilli chocolate truffles left from the rather good gift parcel we received from Claire and Vernon a few weeks back. They (the chocolates, not C&V, that'd be weird!) were hiding in the fridge. So I ate them (again, the chocolates, not... oh, you know what I mean!) for my breakfast. Nom.

I just cooked fish pie for dinner. Sauce included Poulting (reduced in Morrisons, white fish), prawns, squid and mussels. Fish was poached in water/milk, with a bay leaf, peppercorns and dill, and that was used to make the white sauce. Potato was topped with grated Red Leicester before grilling.

:thumbsup:

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
Marj has done oatyjammy flapjacks

Cudzoziemiec

Just found the last two Montezuma chilli chocolate truffles left from the rather good gift parcel we received from Claire and Vernon a few weeks back. They (the chocolates, not C&V, that'd be weird!) were hiding in the fridge. So I ate them (again, the chocolates, not... oh, you know what I mean!) for my breakfast. Nom.
I dunno, it conjures up a rather amusing image - you must have a pretty big fridge though!

Marj has done oatyjammy flapjacks

<dribble>
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
Currently scoffing Lemon Meringue.

The multi-storey Marj special variety :thumbsup:

Got the rhubarb before the rhubarb got us!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
That's a bloody triffid!

Was.
Now it's rhubarb, ginger and orange chutney. Yum.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Rhubarb is the growth of Stan.  :sick:

4lbs of brown sugar were deployed to reduce the tartness somewhat  ;D <--picture of teeth before they all fell out