Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514110 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
One of my favourite ever moments was when I was eating a Champagne Crunchie (a Crunchie with space dust in it) in a meeting, and my pal took a bit off it without realising it had space dust in it. The look on his face as his mouth started to explode was hilarious.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Young couple at the table next to us in the pub.  They've both got a large plate of spare ribs.  They're using knives and forks. ;D
 :facepalm:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Young couple at the table next to us in the pub.  They've both got a large plate of spare ribs.  They're using knives and forks. ;D

What are they using for the ribs?
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

First date so they're trying to make a good impression. One picked up the cutlery because they didn't want to appear uncouth. The other followed suit for fear of being shown up as a lout.

Either that or they're Tories. ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Some on this forum have expressed something rather less than enthusiasm for borsch (beet-root soup), but some people take the matter very seriously:o
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I dread to think what would have happened if it had been kapuśniak!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Quote from: E.H. Young
you could not expect people who understood literature to take a vivid interest in food.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Last night we order Domino's Pizzas. We had cheap-deal vouchers and it was a treat for the youngest. Takeaway pizza and a film.

I had a pizza (no-fat cheese and a gf base).

My *&king life that's expensive. £12 for a pizza that was smaller than a dinner plate and had about 10 separate bits on top of it. Not 10 types, about 10 things scattered around (when I make pizza, you can't see the pizza for the toppings).

I could have had more curry than I can eat for half the amount. I'm damn sure curry takes a lot more cooking than a pizza.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Last night we order Domino's Pizzas. We had cheap-deal vouchers and it was a treat for the youngest. Takeaway pizza and a film.

My *&king life that's expensive. £12 for a pizza that was smaller than a dinner plate and had about 10 separate bits on top of it. Not 10 types, about 10 things scattered around (when I make pizza, you can't see the pizza for the toppings).

I could have had more curry than I can eat for half the amount. I'm damn sure curry takes a lot more cooking than a pizza.

Them's the breaks in this country, unfortunately.

The food economy is geared towards wheat, animal fat and sugar.

Anything else is so small scale that the costs are stupid.

Want a humungous pizza on a normal base, swimming in animal fat covered with cheap cheese and sausage? Yours for a fiver, guv.

Want a gluten free, low fat cheese pizza that wouldn't satisfy an anorexic? That will be at least twice what we charge for the other.

Sad, but true.  Be gladdened that Dominos do stuff like that now.  Eventually the economic tide will turn and "healthy" fast food will be as cheap as the "normal" version*.

*For a certain value of healthy and normal.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ah, I should have been a bit clearer.

Choosing 'no fat, gf' didn't change the price.

£12.99 for a ham and pineapple pizza smaller than a normal dinner plate.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pizza has to be one of the highest margin fast foods out. The reason there are so many two for the price of one deals is that one is the price of two.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Agreed. A pizza is only a cheese toastie and represents poor VFM.
Curries are another matter.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
A really good curry is worth its weight in, well, more really good curry.   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
A really good curry is worth its weight in, well, more really good curry.   :thumbsup:
If you're ever round these parts and are carnivorous, let me treat you to part of Taste of Raj's meal for two.
Huge variety of multiple foods for £20. Usually feeds the two of us for three days.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

This weekend I will be making apricot and orange chutney.

Aldi has chocolate-coated peanut brittle in stock.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Unearthed my first ever new potatoes this week! Yum,yum!  2kg yield from first three plants!  I am going to be a bit overwhelmed by the look of things because, this year as a first-timer's experiment, I planted 60 seed potatoes - 10 of each of 6 varieties.  First earlies Rocket, Lady Chrisl, Pentland Javelin, second earlies Kestrel, and main crop Cara and Desiree.

nicknack

• Hornblower
We're moving house next week so the time has come to clear out the pantry. I've 3 bottles of damson and 4 bottles of elderberry that I made in 1996 - shortly after we moved in.

I've just opened one of the elderberry.

Interesting aroma. A lot of the fruitiness has gone. Colour has softened too - not as red. Tastes...

Well I wouldn't dismiss it completely. Surprisingly it's not unbearable. However, I suspect the drain is probably the best place for it. Let's see how desperate I get.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

You could try putting it into a pasta sauce or something.

nicknack

• Hornblower
Oh yes. Cooking with it. That sounds like a good plan.

Cheers!  :thumbsup:

I hate throwing stuff away.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I like pastry, I like cream, I love strawberries. But I do not like strawberry tarts. Mainly I don’t like them because they have horrible shiny goo poured all over them, but also I find that very often the strawberries are tasteless imported ones, the cream is cheap and nasty and the pastry is heavy and tough. But even freshly made ones with perfectly ripe local strawberries are still covered in the horrible shiny goo. But as well as that, I feel that strawberry tarts are lacking some fundamental coherent tartiness. Something about them never feels like they’re a proper tart – they’re just pastry, cream, and a couple of strawberries plonked on top (and then covered with horrible shiny goo). Nothing about them makes me feel that the component parts have been brought together into a new, coherent creation. They’re just disparate things next to each other with no essential tartiness in their being. And always the horrible shiny goo.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I had a strawberry tart y'day that was the antithesis of what you describe, Kirst. It had nice sort of creme anglais in the middle and it had no goop on top of the strawberries. Was at a farm shop cafe though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

One of the good things about being me (and to be honest, a lot of the time I struggle to find anything) is that when I have a yearning for a mighty fine Victoria Sponge, I can just head on down to the kitchen and make me a mighty fine Victoria Sponge.
Nom.

Purists don't put cream on top but I couldn't fit it all in the middle!

RJ

• Droll rat
I like pastry, I like cream, I love strawberries. But I do not like strawberry tarts.

DIY?

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Our friends went to Bermuda last month, and in exchange for plant watering, we were presented with a Bermudan Coconut Rum Cake.

Good: terrific cake, huge amount of rum in it, the same feeling in the mouth as when sipping neat rum, last ages (partly due to rum). Did I mention the rum?  :thumbsup:

Hmm: needs a warning about not driving or operating heavy machinery after eating it, lasts ages due to trying to find a suitable time to have a piece.  :-\