Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514490 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Went into Whitstable today to enjoy the Oyster Festival ambience. Far too crowded for me, but worth it just for the opportunity to call into Sundae Sundae to sample their festival special: Smoked Oyster & Chorizo ice cream. Rather good it was too!

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
Sounds absolutely disgusting.  But I am glad you enjoyed it ;D
Getting there...

citoyen

Good: terrific cake, huge amount of rum in it, the same feeling in the mouth as when sipping neat rum, last ages (partly due to rum). Did I mention the rum?  :thumbsup:

Sounds good to me.

At the triathlon yesterday, they were giving out free samples of Vita Coco - flavoured coconut water, basically. I thought the pineapple flavour was ok, but as my dad remarked, it would have been greatly improved by the addition of a generous measure of rum.

citoyen

The flavour was surprisingly smoky at first, then mellowed into the salty tang of oysters. It's a good flavour combination, though slightly disconcerting to experience it in ice cream form. I can see that it wouldn't be to everyone's liking but it worked for me. ;D

There's a poll on their Facebook page to choose next week's special flavour - tomato & chilli salt, beetroot & black pepper, or pink choc chip. All sound good to me!

Julian

• samoture
I made home made pitta last night.  It was rather good :)

The flavour was surprisingly smoky at first, then mellowed into the salty tang of oysters. It's a good flavour combination, though slightly disconcerting to experience it in ice cream form. I can see that it wouldn't be to everyone's liking but it worked for me. ;D

There's a poll on their Facebook page to choose next week's special flavour - tomato & chilli salt, beetroot & black pepper, or pink choc chip. All sound good to me!

Must pay a visit the next time we get a ride organised to Whitby. I've had garlic ice cream before, it was rather nice :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Julian

• samoture
My new biscuit press doesn't actually shape biscuits like it's meant to, so I have baked some sparkly pink amorphous blobs.

clarion

• Tyke
All biscuits are the same shape once you've etten 'em. ;)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
My new biscuit press doesn't actually shape biscuits like it's meant to, so I have baked some sparkly pink amorphous blobs.

Anything for the CDC thread?

I made home made ice cream over the weekend and rather good it was too. First time. May try again soon.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I met up with Jane at lunchtime, to give her a wheel back (and to collect mine).

She very nicely gave me some beer for my trouble.  I wasn't expecting it, and was really touched by the gesture.

Believe it or not, I was speechless.  I may have come across as rude, not saying thank you.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Battered deep fried Wensleydale from The Chippie in Hawes for lunch.

My word.

That stuff is good....

*Charlotte-esque little moment*

ETA pics!

Is that apple fritters too?

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness

Ooh, get you!  Potato scallops   :)

clarion

• Tyke
Battered deep fried Wensleydale from The Chippie in Hawes for lunch.

My word.

That stuff is good....

*Charlotte-esque little moment*

ETA pics!

I think I'm in love!
Getting there...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star

Ooh, get you!  Potato scallops   :)

Apple fritter.......don't know if thats posh or a way to get northerners/scotish to eat fruit.  ;D

I miss potato scallops, properly cooked in dripping.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
One of the good things about being me (and to be honest, a lot of the time I struggle to find anything) is that when I have a yearning for a mighty fine Victoria Sponge, I can just head on down to the kitchen and make me a mighty fine Victoria Sponge.
Nom.

Purists don't put cream on top but I couldn't fit it all in the middle!

Thanks for that, fboab! For some reason it made me laugh rather a lot. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Online dating profiles entertain me no end. Found one tonight where they described themselves as "a total food snob".

HOLDING A CAN OF STRONGBOW IN THE PHOTO  :facepalm:

Online dating profiles entertain me no end. Found one tonight where they described themselves as "a total food snob".

HOLDING A CAN OF STRONGBOW IN THE PHOTO  :facepalm:

Inverse snobbery FTW.  ;D :demon: ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Made some jam! Or compote, if you like. Blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries. Not a standard combination, I grant you, but this is what I had a build-up of in the fridge. Cooked the fruit in apple juice with (I just guessed this bit) about 1/3 of the weight of fruit in caster sugar. Added a touch of vanilla at the end, and then lemon zest and lemon juice. Absolutely fab and very easy to make.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My jam's easy: equal weights fruit & jam sugar into a Pyrex dish in microwave. Zap till jammy, stirring occasionally.

Tesco: I used to sing the praises of your Vratislav Czech lager; that was until you put the price up overnight by 21%+ AND I also noticed tonight that the ABV has dropped drastically from 5% to 4.1%. Gits. Why?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

citoyen

I was grilling some courgettes to go with the salmon we were having for dinner tonight when I had a Nigel Slater moment and decided to tart them up a bit.

We had a jar of roasted red peppers in the cupboard, so I sliced them and chucked them in a bowl with the courgettes; added some red onion, garlic, preserved lemon, chilli, fresh mint and fresh parsley, all finely chopped; drizzled on a little olive oil, mixed it all up and voila - courgette and red pepper salad.

Rather good it was too, if I say so myself. I'll definitely be doing that one again.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
Looking for things to do other than banana bread with ripe bananas I stumbled across a "dried banana" recipe on the guardian's 10 best banana recipes

The recipe clearly says they will keep for months. This is not true as I just ate them all. That's 3 bananas in one sitting.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My brother said his 22-month-old daughter eats more than he does.
Watching the two of them at brunch today, this would indeed appear to be the case.
What's the point of 'child ' portions?