Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514409 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
1. I remember Eccentrica Gallumbits raving about Pink Lady apples. I got some earlier this week instead of the usual Braeburn, Coxes or Granny Smiths. Evidently EG and I have rather different taste in apples - too sweet, a bit reminiscent of an apple-shaped grape-and-raspberry juice thing.

2. Gin tours of London! http://worldginday.com/event/tasting-gin-journeys-with-london-bar-consultants/ Hello, Andrij?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
IMHO Pink Lady are Hard Work on the jaws, taste quite nice but are often rather pricy. I don't usually bother with them.

Cudzoziemiec

No harder than any other apples, these ones, and same price as other apples in my LVS (local veg shop) ie noticeably cheaper than supermarket. As for taste, well it's a matter of taste. doh (leaves room in black pink cloak of shame)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
David likes Cox's Orange Pippin which are definitely softer. They have a rather short shelf life. Pink Lady cost more at Sainsbury's, which is almost my only source of food.

Why and how are Black Country chips orange?
They fry them in batter.  Even the Glaswegians never thought to batter their chips.
Battered chips, eh? Well, colour apart, they were very nice.

My tomato plants have fruited* when the family is away, so are there any good ketchup recipes I can use to save wasting 5kg of toms?

*A combination of a very late spring and not having them covered.

Someone tweeted a link to a ketchup recipe a couple of weeks back. Unhelpfully, I can't remember any more than that...

Have a google, there will be loads of recipes.

Could you also make soup, and freeze it?

On the blackberries, I picked a couple of kilos (rough estimate) the other day on my way home from work, now in MFWHTBAB's freezer, minus the 200g or so I took out to make a micro batch of jam - I had one cooking apple, so I scaled it all down. Made two little jars, one to give Mum, one for my sister, who we are visiting next week.

I managed not to boil the jam over onto the hob, and it had reached setting point on first test, so I was proud of myself.   Less proud now I find I've very slightly mismatched a jar and lid* so it's not a completely tight fit. Tight enough to keep mould out I think (I'll tell Mum it needs using up now, not keeping, it'll just be like a jar covered only with cellophane and a rubber band), but not quite enough for the jar to be transported in a rucksack, get laid on its side, and leak juice a little.  Fortunately, I'd wrapped it up tightly in a plastic bag, just in case, so I've been able to just wipe the jar clean.

Of course, this means I've got another slight jar/lid mismatch in my remaining stock of jars.

*My jars are all recovered from the recycling, so are very variable. I've gone for mainly smaller prettier jars (good for gifts) so they aren't the standard sort of sizes. I think it might be a thread mismatch, as opposed to the diameter.

Already this year I've had free redcurrants and blackberries, and have my eye on apples, crabapples, rosehips and haws. I'm enjoying 'stalking' the fruits - checking them each time I pass, seeing them getting closer to ripeness.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

I am currently chasing the pigeons off my elderberries. I severely pruned the tree in the winter and it has really paid dividends, as I can now reach the mass of berries! I'm thinking elderberry wine...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Bonne Maman jam jars are the best for home-made jam IMO. The large tops are easy to fill with least spillage. I can often get them to 'vacuum seal'.

I find I've very slightly mismatched a jar and lid* so it's not a completely tight fit. Tight enough to keep mould out I think
Jam jar lids aren't re useable enough for long term storage-the rubber perishes and doesn't give a good seal. I always use cellophane & elastic bands. You can then go all WI and cover that with fabric if they're for gifts.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Planning a little picnic in the park for tomorrow. My fridge is now full of strawberries and cream, champagne, little cheesecakes, a selection of cheeses, and a fresh french baguette. Yum!

Bonne Maman jam jars are the best for home-made jam IMO. The large tops are easy to fill with least spillage. I can often get them to 'vacuum seal'.

Yes, I would collect just those, except they are quite big, and I want to make lots of little jars of stuff...

I could buy new lids, but I'm mean, and may not be able to find them to fit the various odd little size jars...

Haven't had the problem before, I think I've always kept a better eye on which lid goes with which jar....

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

David likes Cox's Orange Pippin which are definitely softer.

A ripe cox's apple is incomparable. No other apple comes close to it for taste or texture.

Fortunately, we have a cox's tree in our garden. :smug:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs B & I had whelks on Thursday, for the first time in a long while. Delicious! Along with some grilled sardine, & home grown veg.

As the fishmonger & Mrs B both said, they're not something you'd want to make a whole meal of, but a few (we had four each) makes a very nice appetiser.

Last night I made apple & blackcurrant crumble. I thought I'd made it with too high a ratio of crumble to fruit last time, so reduced the crumble to a mere two to three times what some well-known chefs recommend. The result was that Mrs B thought it was a bit short of crumble.  :facepalm: Ah well.

I wonder, can anyone tell me where the idea came from that fruit crumble should be a dish of stewed or part stewed then baked fruit with a light sprinkling of something crunchy on top?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I seem to recall fruit crumbles were popularised by the Ministry during the wartime food rationing...

Cudzoziemiec

I love the idea of a Ministry of Fruit.  ;D

Yes, I know there wasn't.

I seem to recall fruit crumbles were popularised by the Ministry during the wartime food rationing...

Probably using potato, possibly instead of the fruit!

I like a 50/50 ratio of fruit and crumble*, and ideally the crumble should be partly quite solid and filling, and partly crispy and crumbly, as a perfect foil to the cream, custard or ice cream.

The bit I often fail at is stopping the fruit juice from climbing up one side and flowing over the top of the crumble, which reduces the cripsy/crumbly aspect.

*To be honest, I'd go for 100% crumble, but apparently you have to have SOME fruit.... ::-)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I would tend to go for something like 60:40 crumble to fruit ratio.

And then drown the lot in custard.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Cox are a tad sharper than ideal for me, but I do have a terrible sweet tooth.  Envy apples are the best I've enjoyed recently.  Probably too sweet for Cudzo.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Cudzoziemiec

I've not knowingly eaten or even seen an Envy apple. It's odd how we enjoy some sweet things and not others.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I picked 3.2kg blackberries today from the Crags.  I haven't seen such a good crop since I don't know when. If the good weather holds so what's left ripens instead of rotting, there'd be enough for every YACFer.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

That was about the ratio I'd previously used, but I cut it to about 40:60. I'm going to try Arch's 50:50 next time.
Oh yes!

But in order to use up our blackcurrants, I fear I must make jam. Man cannot live by crumble alone. Got to check the jar stock. I may need to beg some more.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

MrsC makes cassis with excess blackcurrants

or rather, makes crumbles if there are any blackcurrants left once she's made enough cassis
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

That was about the ratio I'd previously used, but I cut it to about 40:60. I'm going to try Arch's 50:50 next time.
Oh yes!

But in order to use up our blackcurrants, I fear I must make jam. Man cannot live by crumble alone. Got to check the jar stock. I may need to beg some more.

Ah go on, you can try!

We really ought to set up a jam jar distribution system at work, we've got access to thousands of them! 

My crumble/fruit ratio was a a bit of a guess BTW, rather than a scientific finding, so I hope it works for you!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Planning a little picnic in the park for tomorrow. My fridge is now full of strawberries and cream, champagne, little cheesecakes, a selection of cheeses, and a fresh french baguette. Yum!

Picnic went down a treat. MFWHTBAG (acronym shamelessly pinched from Arch) has a lucky streak of bringing the sunshine whenever we meet, and we even managed to time it right to enjoy some morris dancing and a brass band.

I'm going to have to win champagne more often :D

mcshroom

• Mushroom

Picnic went down a treat. MFWHTBAG (acronym shamelessly pinched from Arch) has a lucky streak of bringing the sunshine whenever we meet, and we even managed to time it right to enjoy some morris dancing and a brass band.

I'm going to have to win champagne more often :D
:thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Whoops. I appear to have had a finger-mouse-interface-click incident yesterday

http://www.sunshinebbqs.com/hog-roasts/extendable-charcoal-hog-roast-machine.html

(with a 40Kg motor upgrade)

Just been delivered. VERY nice piece of kit. I now have more BBQ than bikes. Something must be done about that.

(Step 1: convince Mrs Ham the answer is NOT selling a BBQ)

inna spoiler coz some people won't enjoy the sight of an animal cooking

(click to show/hide)