Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514035 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Where's the thread about cats liking brussels sprouts?

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
One reason I ditched being a veggie is that I am not all that keen on cheese and was sick of not being able to find decent food outside of home which wasn't sodding cheese.  These days with added lacto-intolerance tips the scale into "no chance, not if I wish to stay sane kthx".

I was lucky when I became veggie shortly after my big sister had done so my mum took the initiative to learn some more imaginative cooking skills than the mince n tatties we grew up with.  She bought some nice looking cook books and threw veg dishes together and made great use of lentils and pulses and stuff.

To this day her 2nd question of any guest after "would you like a cuppa?" is "are you veggie?" not to be horrid, but so she can cater for them and will often have something squirrelled away in her freezer and or cupboards and come out with something nice.  When a bunch of my mates stayed over 2 years ago at her house for a funeral nearby she did an entire pressure cooker full of lovely lentil soup and bought us some lovely fresh bread - no sodding cheese in sight and 4 very happy vegetarians and 2 happy omnivores!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
I think peanut butter and banana might be good combination.
It is.
Trust me.
The peanut butter must be crunchy.

PB&B sammiches are my trail food of choice.

Veggie provision is so much better than it ever used to be (speaking as an omnivore), but the trickle down effect still tends to obey the inverse square law as one leaves centres of civilisation.

On the subject, does anyone remember the Buddhist (?) veggie foodie restaurant that opened in Croydon, must have been about 86?  I made a couple of pilgrimages down there, but I would be hard pressed to remember detail. The food was astonishingly good, for any restaurant. Just so happened it was veggie as well.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
http://www.davidbann.com/ is my favourite veggie restaurant
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
^+1
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
It's not that non-veggie food is more imaginative and interesting, just that you usually get a greater number of uninteresting, unimaginative non-veggie dishes on most menus.

Best veggie restaurant I've been to was the Gate in Hammersmith - http://thegaterestaurants.com/hammersmith.php - which is actually considerably more imaginative cooking than most non-veggie restaurants. I've always fancied Terre à Terre in Brighton too, but never had an excuse to go there - http://www.terreaterre.co.uk/
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Two Three of my best veggie meals happen to have been in book shops (the fourth one was in a church/community centre in York).

The first was in the one, in York, on Micklegate
The second in (IIRC it was called) The Polar Bear in Hebden Bridge sorry, wrong town and name, it was The Bear in Todmorden
The third was in one that used to be on the Stray in Harrogate.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Two Three of my best veggie meals happen to have been in book shops (the fourth one was in a church/community centre in York).

The first was in the one, in York, on Micklegate
I know the one you mean - Blake Head Bookshop, now closed.

By far the best vegetarian (and, indeed, vegan) place hereabouts is El Piano on Swinegate. Unfortunately, they know their food is good and the prices reflect it - even by York standards it's expensive but their sweet potato mousse is worth crawling over broken glass for.

clarion

• Tyke
The Bear is my all-time favourite cafe.
Getting there...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
I'm generally against the inappropriate use of carrots in things such as cake. However last night I had a surprise - Carrot Ice cream. Its surprisingly pleasant fresh taste.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Julian

• samoture
I'm seconded to a regulatory body at the moment and we get sandwiches at lunchtime :thumbsup:

Some of the others complain that there are too many veggie ones!  Good veggie ones too, we get falafel, cream cheese and roast veg, and hummus salad which is an improvement on cheese or egg (I really do not like egg sarnies).  The meaty ones look good too but are too heavy on the chicken for me.  I suspect it of being unhappy chicken which I try not to eat.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
You've reminded me - we have a fresh loaf, peanut butter and bananas all in the house at once. And I'm a bit peckish, so...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

We had our annual office Fuddle today. I got rid of two old Xmas puds (09 and 10 vintage) that had been lurking in the back of a cupboard in my kitchen. The puds went down well, I did not tell anybody their age but I think that they do get better as they age.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
A couple of years ago I did a Cycle Trainer course for Dundee City Council; Somebody had ordered a sandwich lunch. It arrived on two big oval platters. One was labelled "Vegetarian"; the other was labelled "Normal".  ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Some of the others complain that there are too many veggie ones! 
Those people are weird. I've come across their ilk before. I always want to ask them if every meal they've ever eaten has had meat in it. Have they never had cheese on toast, or cereal, or fruit salad?

Some of the others complain that there are too many veggie ones! 
Those people are weird. I've come across their ilk before. I always want to ask them if every meal they've ever eaten has had meat in it. Have they never had cheese on toast, or cereal, or fruit salad?
Rabbit food!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Any suggestions for what I could do with a bag of frozen grated carrots? They were being saved for carrot cake but have no crucial ingredients and figured I'd better get rid of them before the new fridge freezer arrives...
All I can think of atm is stir fry.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Soup?  Carrot and: orange, or coriander (or both), or lime (a new discovery)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Fritters!

Crecy Pie.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Ice Cream
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Ginger hair for a snowman?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I love the smell of dill water.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●