Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514095 times)

Yeah yeah. Whatevs.

It's almost worth it for the headlines...

Suffolk mum succumbs to aged pulses.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Suffolk mum succumbs to aged impulses.

:P

Those chickpeas came from Safeway in Inverurie.
I've moved house 7 times since then.  :-[

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Our Marmite is dated 2006.  It shows all signs of living to a fine vintage, at least until the jar suffers a pitch drop style failure.

I think the prehistoric food colouring got binned by barakta at some point, though there may be a tin of Netto brand tomatoes lurking somewhere.  We haven't lived within shopping range of a Netto since Sheffield.

(As ever with these things, it's not the absolute age that's impressive, so much as the number of house moves that it implies.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think our Marmite has a 2005 'use by' date.
I'm sure some Sheddi rejoiced in old food stocks and I could find some ancient non-perishables if I CBA to look.
The spice rack in the kitchen pre-dates my purchase of this abode in 1999.
The salt will not have gone off...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The very idea of a jar of Marmite lasting that long in our house uneaten is unthinkable.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

There is some truly excellent cake in the work kitchen. I usually manage to restrain myself, but the temptation was too great. I rather wish I hadn't, as keep going back for more.  :-[

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The very idea of a jar of Marmite lasting that long in our house uneaten is unthinkable.
Ditto. But the so is the idea of Marmite going off!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade

Agreed.

Yours, eats-marmite-with-a-spoon-when-unsupervised
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Neither of us like marmite, in fact we probably detest it and it is only used for cycling photos and feeding to Kim's ex who doesn't care about the use by date.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I dislike Marmitr. David partakes occasionally.
Suspect I bought Big Jar when ex was a frequent visitor.
David has lived here 10 years...

I had a very intellectual conversation with a colleague the other day, about cheese. Neither of us understands how so many types of cheese can come from the same ingredient: just milk. It's obviously some sort of witchcraft.

Well Bread is the same really (obviously invented to go cheese) I didn't realise there so many different recipes
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
...And flour + fat based foodstuffs in general - the many various pastries and biscuits and cakes all essentially made of the same ingredients.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Pies, I love pies   ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I had a very intellectual conversation with a colleague the other day, about cheese. Neither of us understands how so many types of cheese can come from the same ingredient: just milk. It's obviously some sort of witchcraft.

Well Bread is the same really (obviously invented to go cheese) I didn't realise there so many different recipes
It's because there are so many types of GERMS and MOULD.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Many of them are colonising my respiratory tract.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
What's a CEKA pack?

I don't get into the shops much and do almost all my food shopping from Sainsbury's online.
I see some sugar comes in a ceka pack and the website shows a picture but no useful information .

The question is academic as the traditional paper bags seem cheaper and I don't buy much sugar anyway but
WHAT IS A CEKA PACK?

What's a CEKA pack?
A lined carton like a juice carton.

I believe the music is compulsory in the packing line http//youtu.be/eI6BMoyhmH8 .

Plastic lined cardboard with a plastic flip up top.  So much better than compostable and easily recyclable paper.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Thanks! So the world is a happier place if I stick to the paper bags and keep them scrupulously dry?
Thought so!

My Mum used to have two small holdall type bags which she used to do the weeks shopping in (had proper food shops then like wots getting/got trendy now), she used to stroll into the house and unpack them then stash them ready to use again
        Once in a blue moon I was coerced into going shopping with her, I struggled to carry one of them, there were no plastic carrier bags, I truly believe the recycle thing is costing us more than it benefits us (with the exception of composting and burning all correspondence on the fire which is more paranoia than eco  ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Which reminds me, my Mum's shopping trolley needs to be replaced with something reliable and sturdy.
She's so awkward because she wants to handle goods before she buys them!
John Lewis at Brent Cross (only a mile from her car-free home) had very little and she's not sure where to go next.
First World Problems!

I know there are good online merchants...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Thanks! So the world is a happier place if I stick to the paper bags and keep them scrupulously dry?

Or buy it in paper bags and transfer the contents to a reusable airtight container.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Or buy it in paper bags and transfer the contents to a reusable airtight container.

I find bags easier to handle.
I've just ordered some Sainsbury's Fairtrade white caster sugar.
I suspect it may be supplied in a plastic bag.
(The 'Fairtrade Golden Caster sugar came in a plastic bag; it did not handle like caster sugar. It was coarse and sticky, like fine Demerara sugar.)

The (very) annoying thing is the majority of supermarket veg/sugar/pulses etc. product bags are non recyclable, why not I shriek, frozen produce in bags, non recyclable ditto, come on I say (polite version) if the co-op can make a carrier bag that falls to bits after a year why cannot the rest of the supermarket/frozen food suppliers not do the same, after all the cost will be passed on to the customer, it always is and as we already bear the cost of the so called free carrier bags (possibly soon to be taxed) then at least make them recyclable.
      I will no longer use supermarket carrier bags, my Vaude Panniers cost me a bloody arm and a leg plus, I shall use them and get the full value.