Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 508173 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I am sure eggs are wonderful but I seem to have gone off them, except in CAIK.
I don't know why.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Eggs are small and versatile and packed full of eggy goodness and boiled ones do indeed make a handy ride food.

I came here to quote this about tea: ...each tea represents somebody wanting a ginger-brown cupful, himself drinking tea in Jackie's mother's kitchen, his brothers taking their tea cans to work, the cycling club when it's raining stopping at a caff, ...

This from a novel which is nothing about cycling or tea, the casual reference to the cycling club struck me. I like my tea black not ginger-brown personally, but it's still tea.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

Everyone overcooks scrambled eggs and omelettes. The egg should be just set and not effectively vulcanised. Scrambled eggs should be cooked slowly with constant stirring and taken off the heat once they start to set (this should take several minutes). The result is light and souffle-like and approximately 25 light years' away from how most scrambled eggs seem to be served. Omelettes too. Cook till set, not until it's a disk of kevlar.

There's a special place in hell reserved for people who microwave scrambled eggs.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Omelettes too. Cook till set, not until it's a disk of kevlar.

The French have the word "baveuse" to describe the correct consistency of an omelette. It translates literally as "dribbling".
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Boy Wunja does legendary scrambled eggs - The scouts still talk about how long it took to clean the pan when he cooked them on camp 3 years ago!

(He is actually quite good at cooking, so it was probably an aberration)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Over the weekend I tried Paul Hollywoods Rye bread recipe, 100% rye flour, hmmn I thought 100% ?, it turned out terribly of course, so dense as to be all but inedible, second fault I have found in an otherwise good book (How to bake)   ::-)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Julian

• samoture
For really super scrambled eggs, try putting a tablespoon of mustard seeds into the pan and heating (in whatever oil / butter you're using) until you hear them all going pop, then remove from the heat for a few seconds before pouring the egg in.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Am thinking of doing chilli oil with vegitable and sunflower oils.

What does the masses think?

Ruth

Finally.  They now package Shredded Wheat in sets of two instead of three  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
Ian Botham wants to know if you can eat three Shredded Wheat

you perhaps need to be of a certain age & familiar with a specific tv ad for that to have any meaning

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I haven't touched Shredded Straw Wheat since I was a teenager but could easily eat three then.

It's Nestlé isn't it? Avoid.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
"The bananas are here in person."
This is not about a cartoon character.
http://youtu.be/-HkYkvDoAFY
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
I haven't touched Shredded Straw Wheat since I was a teenager but could easily eat three then.

But why would you want to as they tasted of nothing.  Unless soaked in milk, then the shredded wheat becomes mush.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

But why would you want to as they tasted of nothing.  Unless soaked in milk, then the shredded wheat becomes mush.

Well I don't eat Shredded Feet anyway; it's probably nearly 40 years since I had them. I quite enjoyed chewing the tasteless but gave them up when I went away to university and never went back to them. Like all premium cereals, they appear over-packaged and overpriced.

nicknack

• Hornblower
Are Shredded Wheat still the only breakfast cereal without added sugar? (Apart from porridge)
There's no vibrations, but wait.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Puffed Wheat, if you can find it, has no added sugar.

Are Shredded Wheat still the only breakfast cereal without added sugar? (Apart from porridge)

My Dorset Cereals Simply Nutty has no added sugar. Dates and nuts may help.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
There are quite a few unsweetened varieties of muesli.
Most contained dried fruit with high levels of 'natural sugar'.

Here is a good reason to cut the fat out!  :sick:
(click to show/hide)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Here is a good reason to cut the fat out!  :sick:
(click to show/hide)

I think there was a rather larger fatberg on the BBC News website yesterday.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Help! Recipes for using green peppers required - I accidentally ordered 12 of the things from Sainsbury's :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Stuffed peppers are yum.

Maybe stuff some of the peppers with the other peppers?  ;D
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Help! Recipes for using green peppers required - I accidentally ordered 12 of the things from Sainsbury's :(

Some paellas use green peppers. If you also have an onion or two, some paella rice, stock and some meat (pork/chicken) or fish (almost any fleshy white fish) and herbs and spices you're most of the way there.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

I've just eaten a can of chickpea curry (Aldi) and plate of new potatoes

It's afternoon cake time at work. Shall I go and see if there are gluten-free cakes I can scoff?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The Sainsbury's Basics strawberries I received today are English!
Tasty sweet red goodness, if a little more fiddly than the FOREIGN strawberries I've had up to now!