Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 507927 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
I would think it more likely to have accidentally used the word Planet instead of Country
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

She may have been referring to the fact that some time ago, we passed the point at which we produced enough food to feed everyone on the planet.

We used to bewail the imbalance of producing more food than we needed while people starved. That situation has now changed.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Smugness alert...

I had to cook six steaks for dinner tonight. Somehow, I managed to get them all à point and all to the table at the same time, along with a creamy yet piquant blue cheese sauce, and a salmon fillet for the non-steak-eater.

Pretty pleased with myself for pulling that one off.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Smugness alert...

I had to cook six steaks for dinner tonight. Somehow, I managed to get them all à point and all to the table at the same time, along with a creamy yet piquant blue cheese sauce, and a salmon fillet for the non-steak-eater.

Pretty pleased with myself for pulling that one off.

Chapeaux!
Tips please.  I'm fine producing 3 to the table at the same instant.  (Mrs. B's meejum, #2 son's meejum/rare and my Look out, it's trying to escape). But I reckon I'd struggle with six.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I did them in two batches of three (as many as I could fit in the pan at once). Got the pan hot, then two minutes on each side. Then transferred them to a warmed serving dish, loosely covered with foil, and left them to rest in the still-warm oven (had just taken the potatoes out) while making the sauce, which took 5 minutes or so - deglazed the pan with a splash of brandy, melted in some blue cheese, then seived it into a saucepan and added a dash of Dijon mustard and a splash of cream.

Rather good, if I say so myself!

Was worried about the residual heat continuing to cook the steaks, but I'd tried to factor that in with my calculation of the pan-cooking time and amazingly hit the jackpot!

Doing them to different degrees of done-ness would be a bit more of a challenge, but I guess you could just adjust the initial cooking time per steak (then try to remember which is which).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jogler

• mojo operandi
The "ten second rule" has been applied to our tea tonight.
No problem.
Anyways you eat a lotta dirt before you die.
Marj's kitchen floor is veryvery clean so I'm not going to die.
Yet.

As a child, when I heard the expression "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die" my reaction was, "Why? Who is going to make me? Will I want to? If I don't will I live forever?"

Logical really

Ruth

There's a bloke on telly making corned beef.  Ingredients:  beef, saltpetre, water, spices, copper dragon.

There's a bloke on telly making corned beef.  Ingredients:  beef, saltpetre, water, spices, copper dragon.

My Bearded Dragon (Florence) just gulped "Does the RSPCA know ?)   :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Ruth

:D

Florence is the perfect name for a dragon.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Mrs Cudzo got some seaweed from somewhere (fishmonger's, I think). Looks like pale green spears. Raw, it tastes like diluted sea water, but it's one of those things that shrinks dramatically when cooked, resulting in dark green spears of concentrated salt. She says it's very healthy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

The bog mindles...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-28067831

Oh! that was worth the click if only to find out about

Tam Fry, of the National Obesity Forum,

NEver tried  a fried tam, myself

When ravenous I have even been known to eat a raw sausage (good quality of course, not the pink ones  :facepalm: ) but I must admit I would draw the line at that   :o
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The bog mindles...

Tam's been on the Meeja for ages, speaking about obesity...

ian

The bog mindles...

That's health food in the South. It's not even been triple fried and covered in bacon sprinkles. Doughnut burgers have been about for ever, it's next step up from brioche buns in the calorific arms race. They don't taste as bad as you might think, but to be honest, they get a bit much by the third bite. I had one of these at ChurchKey in DC and it wasn't as bad as I feared. I had been working my way down the beer list beforehand though.

To be honest, people aren't getting fat because they live off novelty burger concoctions.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
The bog mindles...

Tam's been on the Meeja for ages, speaking about obesity...

Unfortunately he seems a bit of a self-publicist and the NOF are not averse to skewing data (or even making it up) to meet their agenda. They now appear to be on the BBC's list of go-to pundits so Mr Fry seems to pop up far too often on the news at the moment.

When presented with up-to-date data that showed positive trends, Fry said that “a little exaggeration forces the message home, and that’s what we are trying to do”.
http://www.theinformationdaily.com/2014/01/21/obesity-the-approach-of-doomsday-or-a-sizeable-mistake

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Bread generally rises better when you remember to put the yeast in it  :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Bread generally rises better when you remember to put the yeast in it  :facepalm:
Just call it an 800g flat bread.  ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I have just looked at the restaurant menu for the place where we hope to be celebrating my parents' wedding anniversary this week.
It offers entrecôte steaks of 250, 350, 500 and 1,000 grams. :sick:
I think I'll opt for another dish...

9:30 in Cardiff. Sat in an empty carluccio in preference to the hotel restaurant. Really not very nice at all, but what did I say to the inevitable is everything all right?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
You said everything is all right because the only thing worse than being in a mediocre café early in the morning is being pestered in such a place...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
9:30 in Cardiff. Sat in an empty carluccio in preference to the hotel restaurant. Really not very nice at all, but what did I say to the inevitable is everything all right?

If you are anything like me it would "Fuck off" followed closely by "If it wasn't you would know about it, now leave me alone".

If things weren't as required, it would "Well now you come to mention it, X, Y and Z is wrong", or bearing in mind the last bit of my first sentence, they would have been called over and given an ear full*.

*The only time I didn't do this was on Father's day, but I didn't want to spoil the meal, or the day, I did, however, complain at the end (Salad Nicoise with WARM new pots and no anchovies!), we got a free meal out it!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My 'FREE' Magimix Creative Slicing Kit arrived today.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Flat peaches.  Eh?  They look like doughnuts.  What are they like to eat?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●