Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 513486 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1075 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:13:22 pm »
Looks like I won't be getting milk in glass bottles much longer.   :(
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29306822

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1076 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:34:05 pm »
Some of today's brambles with cheese:

IMG_4028 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I've just made the crumble topping to use with the rest of them  :P

Erm... That's not a "Meal" though, right? More - a pudding/cheese course combo because "You're on a diet". ?

No way. That was a post ride-went home via the cheese shop-it s not dinner time yet-save the brambles for crumble snackette
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1077 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:45:46 pm »
:( We get ours delivered to the door by http://www.dalesdairies.co.uk/dairy-products.htm - along with fresh eggs and sometimes orange juice. Such a treat!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1078 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:40:33 pm »
Are the glass bottles all 1 pint, as they were back in the days when 'everyone' had their milk delivered? (at least, I remember multiple 1-pint bottles, no 2-pints) It seems to me that the change to supermarket milk and plastic bottles accompanied a move to larger containers - and I'm wondering if that hasn't also encouraged us to use more milk?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

simonp

« Reply #1079 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:51:23 pm »
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/2888821/recipe/hearty-chicken-leek-soup

I made this tonight. Yummy. I ate it all myself, without any bread.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1080 on: 23 September, 2014, 07:07:42 am »
Are the glass bottles all 1 pint, as they were back in the days when 'everyone' had their milk delivered? (at least, I remember multiple 1-pint bottles, no 2-pints) It seems to me that the change to supermarket milk and plastic bottles accompanied a move to larger containers - and I'm wondering if that hasn't also encouraged us to use more milk?

My glass bottles are one pint. I don't think schools get the ⅓ pint bottles; I believe kids who get milk, get cartons.

ian

« Reply #1081 on: 24 September, 2014, 05:46:00 pm »
I decided to try making a curry in my brand new slow cooker. Which is going fine, it's happily bubbling away. My house now smells like an Indian restaurant. As I have a conference call with some people in Hawaii 8pm-10pm, it's going to smell like this for another four and a half hours. I'll either hate the smell of curry by then or I'll have eaten my own arms.

ian

« Reply #1082 on: 25 September, 2014, 11:59:22 am »
In the end I ate my arms.

Today I inadvertently put almond milk in my coffee (makes a change from orange juice or mango lite, cartons all look the same at that time in morning). It's actually quite pleasant. I might now be on my way to hemp underpants territory or I could become one of those people who goes to Starbucks and orders a double-skinny-almond-soy-moderately-warm-half-froth-venti-latte-macchi-tacci-chino-to-go. I was New York a while back and the woman in front of me at the coffee shop did this. Sounded less like a coffee order and more like the sound I'd expect an Italian machine gun to make.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1083 on: 25 September, 2014, 12:08:46 pm »
I presume that's almond milk as in soya milk but from almonds, rather than cow milk flavoured with almonds? The latter is a popular drink (mainly) for kids in India, sort of like hot chocolate for a warm climate I guess. I now have visions of the mobile coffee wallah's face when you buy a coffee and a badam milk then mix them...  ;D

« Reply #1084 on: 25 September, 2014, 12:11:58 pm »
I love almond milk; the dark chocolate version's especially good for a treat. Though I had a vanilla soy mocha the other day for the first time, and that was better than I'd expected, too.

ian

« Reply #1085 on: 25 September, 2014, 12:17:17 pm »
I presume that's almond milk as in soya milk but from almonds, rather than cow milk flavoured with almonds? The latter is a popular drink (mainly) for kids in India, sort of like hot chocolate for a warm climate I guess. I now have visions of the mobile coffee wallah's face when you buy a coffee and a badam milk then mix them...  ;D

As in soy 'milk'. Basically ground almonds soaked in water and then strained and thickened (easy enough to make, but I'm too lazy and buy the unsweetened stuff). It unsurprisingly doesn't taste like milk but is nice in smoothies and the bircher muesli stuff that I eat for my lunch. I'd never thought of trying it in coffee (soy milk is bleurghworthy in this respect).

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1086 on: 25 September, 2014, 12:29:12 pm »
double-skinny-almond-soy-moderately-warm-half-froth-venti-latte-macchi-tacci-chino-to-go.

Lovely country, Wales.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #1087 on: 26 September, 2014, 10:24:07 pm »
[/img]
Working my way up to inferior.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1088 on: 29 September, 2014, 05:52:49 pm »
Just discovered the coffee filter works better if you remember to put coffee in it :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1089 on: 30 September, 2014, 07:03:16 pm »
:( We get ours delivered to the door by http://www.dalesdairies.co.uk/dairy-products.htm - along with fresh eggs and sometimes orange juice. Such a treat!

It's at least a couple of years since our milkman switched from glass to plastic. Whether or not plastic bottles are "just as environmentally friendly" now, it's still more rubbish to be disposed of, taking up valuable bin space - which I probably wouldn't mind so much if the binmen hadn't switched from weekly to fortnightly collections a few years ago.

I blame Thatcher.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1090 on: 30 September, 2014, 09:20:45 pm »
I blame Thatcher.
I didn't know you were playing too?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1091 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:28:49 pm »

It's at least a couple of years since our milkman switched from glass to plastic. Whether or not plastic bottles are "just as environmentally friendly" now, it's still more rubbish to be disposed of, taking up valuable bin space - which I probably wouldn't mind so much if the binmen hadn't switched from weekly to fortnightly collections a few years ago.

Our Council recycles plastic cartons.
I'd probably get milk bags, which can't be recycled, if glass bottles stop.

Cudzoziemiec

What don't you like about plastic bottles, Helly?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
They use more material and work out more expensive than the bags.

At present, I have 7 glass bottles per week and 'emergency bags' in the freezer.

Strangely our re cycle bin says plastic ok (and we re cycle everything we can) but Cherwell DC will not put glass re cycling containers into our village, arses  >:(  The nearest glass banks are one and a half miles away and I don't fancy trikeling that ending up with a pannier full of broken glass  :facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Our recycling will accept both plastic and glass, the problem is that the weekly collection alternates between recycling and general landfill - they used to collect both every week - hence the recycling bin is usually full well before they come round for it.

This is my reason for preferring glass milk bottles anyway - the milkman took them away. Although even the milkman has cut down his visits due to lack of demand so he only delivers three times a week now. But since we live out of town, it's a pretty vital service for us. It would be most inconvenient to lose it completely.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
We have started to get milk in a plastic bottle that is a similar shape to a large glass milk bottle. For some reason it is much nicer to pour from than either a carton or a jug bottle.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Our refuse & recycling collections sound similar to citoyen's though we are in Zone 4 suburbia.
Neither our grey landfill bin nor our blue-topped recycling bin are approaching full fortnightly.

Our milk delivery is also three times per week.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I've had a yen for meringues, and Googled for microwave meringue. Seems all you need do is mix a single egg white with 300g icing sugar, knead, roll into small balls, place in cup cake cases and zap for 40-80 seconds in batches of 4.
Must try!

Cudzoziemiec

Back to the milk thing for a minute - what about milk in cartons (tetrapaks)?