Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 507985 times)

Down to my last piece of Dundee C---e  :'(. Still as I'm the only person here who eats it I've only myself to blame.
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

Poached Pears in chocolate sauce is much more betterer when it's not Dry January

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
My oven doesn't get hot enough, or should that be that my ovens temperature dial is quite far out.  230c is 205c.  Might have to figure out a bodge to fix that.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I have made an earl grey and dark chocolate torte. It smells amazing. I hope it tastes as good as it smells....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

On the weekend I coughed while eating a chilli.

A bit of the chilli managed to lodge itself up in the back of my nose/sinuses.  It hurt. Considered sticking my face in a bowl of milk and snorting it up my nose.

MrsC laughed. A lot.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
An absolute disgrace.  Bloody Americans.

It's quiz night at the Country Girl tonight.  I'll be having words.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
On the weekend I coughed while eating a chilli.

A bit of the chilli managed to lodge itself up in the back of my nose/sinuses.  It hurt. Considered sticking my face in a bowl of milk and snorting it up my nose.

MrsC laughed. A lot.

Ow!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Mercure hotel, since when did a club sandwich have egg mayo in it?

I should have realised my mistake at ordering time, when I was asked if I wanted it on white or brown!

Oh and that stuff you serve at breakfast, that you laughingly call coffee? It tastes fucking horrible.

Somethin tells me I will be staying elsewhere next week....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

I should have realised my mistake at ordering time, when I was asked if I wanted it on white or brown!

Oh and that stuff you serve at breakfast, that you laughingly call coffee? It tastes fucking horrible.

Shouldn't this be in the First World Problems thread? ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Shouldn't this be in the First World Problems thread? ;)

Dunno.
Nephew's wedding was at the Mercure Bolton Last Drop Resort in 2013.
Parts of my stay were dire.

I am about to wield the blender and blitz ~3l of mushroom, green lentil, chilli & lemon soup, which have been simmering away for the last hour or so, before adding the puy lentils, Worcester sauce and the juice of a lemon. Nom.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Dear Cadbury,

eggs are sold by the dozen or the half-dozen. That is how we do it. Not 5s. Bugger off.

Regards

the UK
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Clicky.  Apparently the USAnians are complaining as well - see comments.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Why oh why is the food in independent pubs and hotels (Exception is (pub) The Black Prince @ Woodstock) so standardised, Fish and Chips, Ham egg and Chips, Gammon steak, oh, and chips and the occasional pie that isn't, to my mind a pie should have enclosing pastry not just a bought in top, it's bloody winter and being English I would appreciate some home type food after all every pub/hotel I look at says it is home cooked and it obviously isn't.
      Maybe (as I said) a proper pie or a shepherds pie or a stew and while we're at it a veggie dish that isn't an after thought just so to have a V symbol on the menu, I understand that proper chefs are as rare as hens teeth but surely it isn't that hard.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

I've just been on the receiving end of a foodbank parcel via a concerned neighbour.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

(...mainly because it contains a tin of SPAM.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Not acceptable. It should be pemmican.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Will Self hates ramekins. Really, really *hates* them.

http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2015/01/will-self-ramekins
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Club sandwiches need an actual fried egg on them. You don't realise how essential this is until your first time. Once that cherry is popped, no club sandwich is the same without one. I had a right barney with room service at an hotel in the US the other week because they didn't think the kitchen could do that. What, seriously, you can't fry an egg and put it on a sandwich? Yeah, you can have sarcasm on the side of that order, knobchuckles.

Blame South Africa, I ordered one and it arrived with an unannounced fried egg.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Dear Norwegian colleagues,
Putting the Earl Grey teabags in the same container as the cinnamon and other such stinky teas makes them taste really weird, please stoppit.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Why oh why is the food in independent pubs and hotels (Exception is (pub) The Black Prince @ Woodstock) so standardised, Fish and Chips, Ham egg and Chips, Gammon steak, oh, and chips and the occasional pie that isn't, to my mind a pie should have enclosing pastry not just a bought in top, it's bloody winter and being English I would appreciate some home type food after all every pub/hotel I look at says it is home cooked and it obviously isn't.
      Maybe (as I said) a proper pie or a shepherds pie or a stew and while we're at it a veggie dish that isn't an after thought just so to have a V symbol on the menu, I understand that proper chefs are as rare as hens teeth but surely it isn't that hard.

If you are ever in Swansea, I can, wholeheartedly, recommend the food in the Pendaryn Bar of the Towers Hotel (Jersey Marine).  All freshly cooked (barring the chips*), bar specials menu changes daily and they know how to cook a steak properly!

It's not even that expensive, last night I had a whole Brill in lemon and caper sauce and it only cost 10.50!!!!

The only "complaint" I have is I can't understand why each and every meal comes with a huge bowl of peas.  See, there is a reason I put complaint in inverted commas....

*You don't have to have chips, you can have boiled, roast, jacket or mash instead, if you so wish.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

The only "complaint" I have is I can't understand why each and every meal comes with a huge bowl of peas.  See, there is a reason I put complaint in inverted commas....

*You don't have to have chips, you can have boiled, roast, jacket or mash instead, if you so wish.

Easy, they believe in giving peas a chance.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Peas is our profession

</USAF>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Putting the Earl Grey teabags in the same container as the cinnamon and other such stinky teas makes them taste really weird, please stoppit.

Earl Grey + lesbian tea = Earl Gay?

Earl Grey + lesbian tea = Earl Gay?

Lady Gay, shirley?

(Yes, yes, I know it's a modern invention, dreamt up by the Twinings marketing folk.)