Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512617 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I'll see your Earl and Lady and raise you an Empress.

(It's foul.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

In our work kitchen there's a bag of waitrose marquess grey teabags; they're quite nice if you like that kind of thing. (Looking at the ingredients I'm not sure what the difference is between this, lady grey, and the empress grey tea mentioned; they all seem to be earl grey with added citrus.)

(Insert yr own '50 shades of' joke here...)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We have been rather slow with our Christmas treats.
For the last two nights, we have had Sainsbury's Chocolate and Cassis Christmas Pudding.
We found it rather meh.
There is still some left.

I have given it the nickname of one of David's acquaintances, who is a heavy and lolloping man.

Bin it, life is to short.  8)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Apparently, today is the start of 'Chip Week'.
Do we need a chip week?  I thought every week was chip week.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

We have been rather slow with our Christmas treats.
For the last two nights, we have had Sainsbury's Chocolate and Cassis Christmas Pudding.
We found it rather meh.
There is still some left.

I have given it the nickname of one of David's acquaintances, who is a heavy and lolloping man.

*Cannot comprehend the idea of having Christmas food left over in February.* :o

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
#1 son and I traditionally finish off the last piece of the fee-yooge crimble cake provided by my mum at Easter.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

When MrsC and I found ourselves eating up the Christmas cake in the following autumn to make room for the next we agreed we probably didn't need to bother.
Which reminds me, there are still mince pies in the freezer...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
There is still a stocking full of chocolate in front of my right foot.
Behind that, there's a cupboard in which there's an unopened box of Milk tray and a load of chocolate biscuits.
In the cupboard above are more seasonal chocolate goodies...

simonp

We had kedgeree for dinner tonight. I used a Jamie Oliver recipe which seemed to over complicate things.

The other day I made a Malaysian chicken curry from one of his recipes. That took a long time too. Was very nice thobut.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Mercure hotel, since when did a club sandwich have egg mayo in it?

I should have realised my mistake at ordering time, when I was asked if I wanted it on white or brown!

Oh and that stuff you serve at breakfast, that you laughingly call coffee? It tastes fucking horrible.

Somethin tells me I will be staying elsewhere next week....

Club sandwiches need an actual fried egg on them. You don't realise how essential this is until your first time. Once that cherry is popped, no club sandwich is the same without one. I had a right barney with room service at an hotel in the US the other week because they didn't think the kitchen could do that. What, seriously, you can't fry an egg and put it on a sandwich? Yeah, you can have sarcasm on the side of that order, knobchuckles.

Blame South Africa, I ordered one and it arrived with an unannounced fried egg.

Must be a colonial thing- in the Tollygunge Club in Calcutta you get a fried egg in your club sandwich too. Bloody delicious!

menthel

Tunnocks giant sized caramel wafer, oh yeah! Fuck the calories I just stuffed it in my face.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Remember folks, your Tunnocks will be enjoyed even more if you take the wrapper off first, before stuffing ion your face.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

menthel

Remember folks, your Tunnocks will be enjoyed even more if you take the wrapper off first, before stuffing ion your face.

Luckily I had eaten a sandwich beforehand so wasn't completely desperate. The new giant size ones have a major failing- no paper wrapper like the normal ones!

Behind that, there's a cupboard in which there's an unopened box of Milk tray and a load of chocolate biscuits.

Wouldn't last long in our house  :P
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Wouldn't last long in our house  :P

I think the chocolate cravings got the better of me whilst I was putting in my autumnal online supermarket orders.

We've been pretty restrained in our actual consumption and I might be succeeding with this weight loss lark.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I am cooking a grill-pan full of Barnsley lamb chops. I have never noticed before how much they look like a game of Space Invaders.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
LOL

I just made a random concoction of butter, sugar and cocoa to eat out of a mug. I suspect this isn't the healthiest snack ever. :-[

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Have made chicken stock from a chicken thigh in the slow cooker, so tonight I'm going to have risotto with some of the chicken stock and some lentils added in.  Will lob in some tinned veg too.  Then throw it all in the slow cooker till its ready.

Last night I made galete britons and they were yummy.  Even better with the batter being left over night and made this morning.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
No arborial rice so normal long grain....it maybe a bit gloopy.

Oh well.

No arborial rice so normal long grain....it maybe a bit gloopy.

Oh well.
The first world problems thread is thataway _____>
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

Making home made spaghetti meatballs tonight. I took a packet of beef mince and a packet of sausages which I removed the innards of. Other ingredients two eggs, some Parmesan cheese, onion, salt, sage, a splash of milk, chili flakes. Sauce - two tins tomatoes, tomato purée, six cloves garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dried oregano and parsley, fresh basil. Served with linguine. Would've used wholemeal but didn't find any in the cupboard.

I have just put four mince pies into the oven to defrost and heat through.
We are still eating up the Christmas goodies.

(We will be watching Rick Stein on the telly shortly and we know we'll both end up hungry!)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."