Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512537 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Very few people can wreck liver, or indeed any foodstuff, more thoroughly than skool dinner ladies.

You have not met my mother. She can turn liver into something capable of being used as

(a) a boat oar
(b) a potentially lethal blunt instrument
(c) a substitute for kevlar

And then the chewy vascular system. They use that as spaghetti in the Hell branch of Olive Garden (there's one in the food mall if you're ever down there, but I don't recommend it).
Ian, my long lost brother!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Organ meats are very good for you. They are unpopular for some reason which makes them dirt cheap.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Organ meats are very good for you. They are unpopular for some reason which makes them dirt cheap.

Liver is not recommended for pregnant women.

Kosher liver is not very cheap.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Organ meats are very good for you.

Unless the liver used to belong to a BEAR.  It will kill you utterly to DETH if the  BEAR doesn't manage it first.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Vitamin A toxicity is not very good for you...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
When I was in hospital aged 8, I bemused the nurses by opting for liver and mash rather than burger and chips. I had to protest that it was what I actually wanted.

I regretted it. Hospital catering in the 70s was on a par with school dinners, if not worse. Mind you, the burgers looked pretty rank too.

I've made Jewish style chopped liver using Claudia Roden's recipe. It's fab.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

extreme-aged-steak-meat

“controlled decomposition” Nom!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Lye Cross mature cheddar. Surprisingly yummalicious. Thank you to the woman in front of me in the queue at Scoopaway for alerting me to its presence.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

A second breakfast after lugging firewood around and cleaning out tortoise vivarium. 1.2k peaches and pineapple. First breakfast was 1k pineapple.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
That'll keep you going! ;) ;) ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We finished our Christmas McVities Victoria chocolate biscuits today. There were 700g of biscuit in a volume of 6 litres of packaging. (23*26*10cm approx)
That's a LOT of empty space...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I experimentally bought a bottle of Aldi's imitation of strawberry Frijj.  It tastes *exactly* like amoxicillin suspension, minus the amoxicillin after-taste.

A mid afternoon snack. It's pretty much first breakfast again but with banana sprinkles.

Can I ask, Del, How much tinned fruit are you getting through, on a daily basis?
The 'k' you refer to upthread - are they kg?

Can I ask, Del, How much tinned fruit are you getting through, on a daily basis?
Don't know about a daily basis it's different each day. I buy trays of tins, peaches were 50p/tin this week in Tesco so had two trays. Two trays of pineapple is almost weekly, two tins are cheaper than a fresh pineapple and no hassle of peeling the damn thing. This week I've got through nearly three trays of fruit plus fresh fruit, pasta, veggies, bread, rice, cous cous, oats, and a huge bowl of Shreddies. So far!   :P
The k is kg, I've not got to kilo tonnes yet!  ::-)

Don't know about a daily basis it's different each day. I buy trays of tins, peaches were 50p/tin this week in Tesco so had two trays. Two trays of pineapple is almost weekly, two tins are cheaper than a fresh pineapple and no hassle of peeling the damn thing. This week I've got through nearly three trays of fruit plus fresh fruit, pasta, veggies, bread, rice, cous cous, oats, and a huge bowl of Shreddies. So far!   :P
I'm on my second bag of Doritos. It's not my usual fare of choice.
Me Julie, from Whitstable, was due to B&B here this weekend, but cancelled at the last minute.
As a result I have a mountain of Doritos and a lake of Rioja to dispose of.
That's also not my fare of choice, but is what she runs on.
I agree, it takes a degree of skill and a sharp knife to extract the edible from a fresh pineapple, but when you do - it can be heaven!
Meanwhile, back to the tinned fruit diet.....

Go Del! Go!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Are you goading del's colon?  ;) ;D

I'm on my second bag of Doritos. It's not my usual fare of choice.
Me Julie, from Whitstable, was due to B&B here this weekend, but cancelled at the last minute.
As a result I have a mountain of Doritos and a lake of Rioja to dispose of.
That's also not my fare of choice, but is what she runs on.
I agree, it takes a degree of skill and a sharp knife to extract the edible from a fresh pineapple, but when you do - it can be heaven!
Meanwhile, back to the tinned fruit diet.....

Go Del! Go!

A good few years.ago I spent 5 days crossing the Mulanje massif in Malawi. On returning to the bus station and trading area on day 6, I satisfied my fruit craving with a whole fresh pineapple, prepared whilst sitting in the dust, with my penknife. It was truly heavenly, and remains a great memory to this day.

Aah, roadside fruit. Some of my better memories. In France, both pears and Charentais melons just ripe in the autumn. I've never had such juicy fragrant fruits again.  And in Italy, roadside figs. Heavenly.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Almost any fruit picked up on the road will be riper, sweeter and more tasty than something you buy.
It is usually already past its 'best before' date...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Reading my slow cooker book, it seems that with the assistance of a timer plug I could wake up to warm home made cinnamon buns in the morning.  If I load up the coffee machine before I go to bed, tomorrow could begin rather well.

And if I bung a Ragu in, in the morning, there could be a nommy dinner tomorrow night when I finish doing stuff.

It's about time I made proper use of this worktop thief.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Friend on another forum just posted this:

• Fresh human palm horseshoe fried bacon
• A new breed of cattle thermometer rotary juice
• Saliva chicken

menu items, Shanghai, China
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Reading my slow cooker book, it seems that with the assistance of a timer plug I could wake up to warm home made cinnamon buns in the morning.  If I load up the coffee machine before I go to bed, tomorrow could begin rather well.

And if I bung a Ragu in, in the morning, there could be a nommy dinner tomorrow night when I finish doing stuff.

It's about time I made proper use of this worktop thief.

So, how were the buns? :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
A colleague has a thing about dinosaurs. I was shopping in Aldi and found a kids novelty cake silicone dinosaur mould. As his new girlfriend is an excellent baker, this may come in handy.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Who wants to share some chips?  I fancy some, but a whole portion would be too much.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: