Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 507980 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
That new HulaHoops advert, where the kid bites the legs off the terrified trapeze artist.  It's absolutely horrific, how did they thing it was a good idea?
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
After many years (in fact at least 2 decades) of storing my ripped-out-from-magazines recipes in a document wallet from which they regularly slithered all over the cooker, I have finally put them into poly pockets and then into a ringbinder, ordered as soups, salads, pasta, curry, risotto, veg dishes, chocolate, baking, fruit, puddings, drinks, preserves.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
You're just so rock'n'roll...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

After many years (in fact at least 2 decades) of storing my ripped-out-from-magazines recipes in a document wallet from which they regularly slithered all over the cooker, I have finally put them into poly pockets and then into a ringbinder, ordered as soups, salads, pasta, curry, risotto, veg dishes, chocolate, baking, fruit, puddings, drinks, preserves.

I put all mine into my laptop (binning the paper versions) then transferred it all onto a memory stick, brilliant idea or will be when I remember where I put it

:facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Meanwhile I'm about 5 iterations into freestyling away from this recipe for rhubarb crumble cake.

I just need to
a) perfect an orange drizzle topping
b) get out to more YACF campings before the rhubarb season ends
c) stop eating all the research myself

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.

There goes my Sunday.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Mock all you like; I'm happy with it.  :P

It is entirely shocking how surprised some people can be when, after accepting a the offer of a peppermint tea, they observe you lopping some leaves off a living plant and pouring hot water over it.

It is entirely shocking how surprised some people can be when, after accepting a the offer of a peppermint tea, they observe you lopping some leaves off a living plant and pouring hot water over it.

Indeed.

The well brought-up guest would have expected such a beverage to have been described as a peppermint infusion.

Tonight's culinary adventure is gluten-free flatbread. I may be proved wrong, but I suspect I am going to be pleased that I have pita in the freezer.

This morning, my first cuppa of the day inadvertantly contained 2  teabags.
This went unnoticed when I poured over the boiling water and then covered the mug with a lid to allow it to steep.
(there's a process that goes on here, live with it)
BOOM!
I can see this becoming a regular and deliberate occurrence.....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
At the weekend Mrs Cudzo made a cake with five different fruits in it. Six if you count chocolate. That's all of your five a day in one slice!  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

and then covered the mug with a lid to allow it to steep.
(there's a process that goes on here, live with it)

I do that. Keeps the drink warm. Probably don't need to be doing this now but it's habit.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
There was a lovely cheese smell coming from the cheese shop as I walked past this afternoon.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I understand the christening cake shared at today's Sandringham party is a tier from the parents' wedding cake.
Even by my standards that's a bit old...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Although we managed mostly to decoke the engine on the DeLonghi coffee machine at Fort Larrington its touch'oles appear still to be bunged up wi' fluff, resulting in somewhat crunchy coffee.  And the going rate for a replacement filter is twenty-seven of the BRITONS' pounds :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Skimmed milk is no good for tempering the heat of chillis, on account of it having no fat in it  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I understand the christening cake shared at today's Sandringham party is a tier from the parents' wedding cake.

Mildly surprised it wasn't leftovers from Brenda and Phil the Greek's nuptials...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Mildly surprised it wasn't leftovers from Brenda and Phil the Greek's nuptials...

[OT] Well, Kate pushed the baby in a pram used for two of B&P's kids.
I rather like those old coach-built baby carriages.

Tonight's culinary adventure is gluten-free flatbread. I may be proved wrong, but I suspect I am going to be pleased that I have pita in the freezer.

How did the GF flatbread turn out, Ham? I'd be interested in the recipe if was half decent!

Actually, rather well, to be clear I have never made GF bread previously, so I had no idea what I was doing. I keep GF flour (doves) in stock as I use it to bind beetroot burgers, which need quite a bit of moisture absorption and I don't want sticky gluten or over-binding for them. Miss Ham is avoiding gluten in her diet at the mo, so I thought I'd have a crack, serving alongside chicken kebabs and salad.

I looked at a couple of recipes which all appeared rather dodgy to me, as they had yoghurt, baking powder and all sorts of odd things in them, so I made my own. As a result, I am a bit short on recipe detail, here's my method.

I took the liquid proportions from the flour bag, just used warm water for about 400g of flour with about 1/3 tsp salt. Re-constituted about 1 tsp dried yeast, lobbed into the flour along with a slug (15ml?) of olive oil. Stirred it around, realised it felt VERY odd and wasn't going to get better, adjusted the moisture content by adding a little flour. At this stage it was coming cleanly off the sides of the bowl, but is still sloppy. Kneaded a bit just for the heck of it. Left to rise, and added a post here.

When I got back to it, it was still a sloppy dough (as expected) although it could still be handled. I rolled blobs out onto one of my non stick sheets which are a little like this (only not quite as those are much lighter duty than mine, which are about 25 years old and from the USA, I've never seen as heavy stuff over here, I think it is the sort of stuff used on commercial production belts). It was quite easy to get to about 6 mm thick, but then impossible to remove. So, I upended the sheet into the hot pan (a completely dry black iron pan, I think next time I will use cast iron for these) and eased the bread off onto the pan with a spatula , lifting the sheet away as it went, where it cooked perfectly. As the pan gets hot and you can't lift the sheet very high (as it is so sloppy) that bit of the operation comes with a health warning.

I think it would be tough to make a pocket, I wasn't getting the same effect as with normal dough, but as a flatbread it was great. I didn't, but garlic butter over the top (or, re-frying in the same) would be awesome.

Hope that helps.

That's what the top tier of wedding cake is for. I'm surprised it wasn't used for the first offspring though, mine was.
Next you'll be telling me this Christmas cake I've been maturing for 3 years is a bit elderly.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Ham - I shall have to get experimenting!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
That's what the top tier of wedding cake is for. I'm surprised it wasn't used for the first offspring though, mind was.
Next you'll be telling me this Christmas cake I've been maturing for 3 years is a bit elderly.

I am aware that wedding cake was kept for the christening which, in days gone by, was usually within a year of the wedding.

The royal wedding cake was over four years old so a bit older than your mature cake...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

My colleague has just had a quiche sandwich for his lunch.