Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518853 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Learnt today that the weird green flecked cheese I bought at a farmers market before Christmas is Sage Derby.

Never tried it before, but with all the sage it tastes a bit sausagey.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

A teaspoon's worth of coffee beans turned up anonymously in today's post ???
I can only imagine they're from someone who has heard me mention the Jamie Oliver combo of cheddar, honey and coffee grounds (ref the end of this article), and bemoan the fact that I do not have any coffee in the house.
Come to think of it, I don't have any cheese, either.
Perhaps that'll be in tomorrow's post.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Having lunch. I do love getting my mouth around those delicious, smooth, slightly salty soft moist pink folds. Smoked salmon is food for the gods.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Learnt today that the weird green flecked cheese I bought at a farmers market before Christmas is Sage Derby.

Sage,  not chives.   Told you!    :smug:
Milk please, no sugar.

MrsC likes to buy one of those stalks of Brussels' sprouts for Christmas dinner. She always likes to have a sprout (just the one you understand) with Christmas dinner.
I had some of them tonight. Although the outer leaves are beginning to look rather manky, inside they were fine.
Sprouts are one of my favourite vegetables.  :smug:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mcshroom

• Mushroom

Sage,  not chives.   Told you!    :smug:

Yes you did. Still think there's some chives hiding in it though :P
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Chive Derby sounds like a comedian's idea of an elderly couple in a halfarsed sketch.

Sprouts: good. I'm definitely in the "eat veg as veg" camp. No point disguising things or poncifying them.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Those stalk things make magnificent torches for the Peasantry to wave when surround the Mad Scientist's castle. Pity about the sprouts.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I wish satsumas were consistent.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

So what is pork knuckle? Mrs Cudzo reckons it's the English for golonka, but the blokes in the butcher's hadn't heard of it. They did, however, know what she wanted when she said she wanted to make jelly. Pork hock, apparently, is the thing. "How much longer has that got to cook for?" "Another two hours." "That's what you said two hours ago." I think it took five hours in total, for which time the kitchen stank of both shit and soap. Made four bowls of fatty gelatine, of which she ate one and a half this morning – and then said she had stomach ache!

hellymedic

• Just do it!

So what is pork knuckle? Mrs Cudzo reckons it's the English for golonka, but the blokes in the butcher's hadn't heard of it. They did, however, know what she wanted when she said she wanted to make jelly. Pork hock, apparently, is the thing. "How much longer has that got to cook for?" "Another two hours." "That's what you said two hours ago." I think it took five hours in total, for which time the kitchen stank of both shit and soap. Made four bowls of fatty gelatine, of which she ate one and a half this morning – and then said she had stomach ache!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham_hock

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We started box of Corné chocolates partner's brother gave us for Christmas.
They are WONDERFUL!
They're just like the chocolates Uncle Ludwig used to bring from Belgium 50 years ago...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
We started box of Corné chocolates partner's brother gave us for Christmas.
They are WONDERFUL!
They're just like the chocolates Uncle Ludwig used to bring from Belgium 50 years ago...

?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

At Ely's "Collectables, Food & Farmers' market" the pie stall had Penguin pie (not the chocolate biscuit), and Wild Beaver pie. I was tempted to ask if Wild Beaver pie tasted similar to Hare pie...  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
At Ely's "Collectables, Food & Farmers' market" the pie stall had Penguin pie (not the chocolate biscuit), and Wild Beaver pie. I was tempted to ask if Wild Beaver pie tasted similar to Hare pie...  ;)

;D

I had a venison pie from thevtly named Cheese and Pie man
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I just bought A Lebanese Feast of Vegetables, Pulses, Herbs and Spices by Mona Hamadeh and I want to make and eat nearly everything in it, immediately.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
My first attempt at baking bread is in the oven. I expect it'll be inedible, but it's a try.

...Half an hour later...

Nope. I don't need Paul Hollywood to tell me that's nowhere near fit to eat!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Now I'm no Heston Blumenthal but I like to experiment.

Idly adding Blue Dragon Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce to vanilla ice-cream did not result in the taste sensation I hoped for. Admittedly it took three spoons to confirm.

Cudzoziemiec

Mrs Cudzo bought some "wild forest" honey from Zambia. She says it tastes like the honey her neighbour* used to make in the village she grew up in. To me, it tastes pretty much like other honey, but it smells wonderful; a real insecty smell!

*This neighbour was called Pszczoła, which is a common surname thereabouts and means honey bee.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
A Faceache friend has state cola is addictive.
AFAIK coca beans are no longer used in drink molishment and my caffeine intake is well-controlled.

Is this more woo as I believe it is?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
My first second attempt at baking bread is in the oven. I expect it'll be inedible, but it's a try.

...Half an hour later...

Nope. I don't need Paul Hollywood to tell me that's nowhere near fit to eat!

First went into the bin uncooked, second was still soggy in the middle, but third time lucky!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAnOXN2tNHm/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Can somebody explain to me why Sainsbury's sweet potato fries and sweet potato chips are listed as 'Carb alternatives'.

There no nutritional info (yet) but I cannot imagine these are carb-free (or even low-carb).

A quick google shows the sweet potatoe (orange variety at least) has more carbs than a normal tatty.  Some other varieties (the white ones) may contain less? Maybe they're used for those fries/chips.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

probably got low GI confused with low carb