Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518754 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1875 on: 09 September, 2016, 09:20:36 am »
Ice-cream in Germany yesterday.  The scoops we're used to in France are niggardly, these were 90 cents a ball and it was hot so I ordered three. They were like young tennis balls. (Black Forest cherry, stracciatella and banana if you're interested. Glorious.)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1876 on: 11 September, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »
Just had an email from milk&more advertising wares in their 'Organic September' promotion.

I see they are now selling bottled 'Organic Water'.

I prefer my water to be inorganic.
Even traces of organic plastic bottle residue are undesirable IMO.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1877 on: 11 September, 2016, 05:36:18 pm »
As long as it's gluten-free...

---o0o---

Got home from stiff ride to find that Mrs. T42 had made oatcakes and soda bread.  :thumbsup:

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1878 on: 11 September, 2016, 10:31:18 pm »
Just had an email from milk&more advertising wares in their 'Organic September' promotion.

Is it diet water too? A friend sent me a picture of some in a shop recently.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1879 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:49:26 am »

Rarely has your laughing dog been more appropriate!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1880 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:53:40 am »

Rarely has your laughing dog been more appropriate!

:thumbsup:

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1881 on: 12 September, 2016, 11:05:20 am »
As long as it's gluten-free...

---o0o---

Got home from stiff ride to find that Mrs. T42 had made oatcakes and soda bread.  :thumbsup:

I saw some Gluten Free fudge today. I did consider asking if they had fudge with Gluten in it.

ian

« Reply #1882 on: 12 September, 2016, 11:16:58 am »
I can't go anywhere now without someone either declaring themselves to be 'gluten-intolerant' or for some reason I don't care about so please-stop-telling-me 'are not eating wheat'. Or have a long list of allergies that they've diagnosed on the basis at age six they once sneezed after eating something. Any group meal seems to start with the usual suspects telling everyone about all the things they can't – absolutely can't – eat. Well, don't fucking eat them then.

« Reply #1883 on: 12 September, 2016, 11:36:17 am »
Well, like me you are lucky enough to eat/drink whatever you wish, we are fortunate indeed but many are not so fortunate and I really feel for them life is complicated enough without a food allergy save your ire (please) for the people who loudly proclaim themselves to be Vegitarian apart from eggs, cheese, oh and the odd fish fillet.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

ian

« Reply #1884 on: 12 September, 2016, 12:01:28 pm »
Well, like me you are lucky enough to eat/drink whatever you wish, we are fortunate indeed but many are not so fortunate and I really feel for them life is complicated enough without a food allergy save your ire (please) for the people who loudly proclaim themselves to be Vegitarian apart from eggs, cheese, oh and the odd fish fillet.

No, because in the majority of cases they're completely and utterly making it up based on something they read on the internet rather than a medical diagnosis. Anyway, I don't care about their dietary requirements, I just don't want a guided tour. I can't eat beans without vesuvian intestinal disruption and god knows, I don't start each meal with a description. Perhaps I should. O god, the smell, the smell!

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #1885 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:03:37 pm »
I think Ian has food intolerance intolerance.
Symptoms include increased blood pressure rising uncontrollably and he finds himself muttering and increasingly experiencing feelings of rage in the presence of food intolerances.
In time this can lead to full apoplexy, the results of which can be fatal.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1886 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:42:34 pm »
Symptoms include increased blood pressure rising uncontrollably and he finds himself muttering and increasingly experiencing feelings of rage in the presence of food intolerances.

If not for him, possibly for others
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #1887 on: 14 September, 2016, 08:47:45 am »

If not for him, possibly for others

I don't think they'll actually die unless I hack out their livers with the butter knife.

It's just that tedious modern day look-at-me-ism. I'm special. Oh, you're special all right but your liver looks fine. Well, looked. Of course, some people are intolerant to certain foods, beans genuinely give me severe gut cramp and a outcome that's neither natural or normal. So it be, I don't predicate my life by telling everyone about it (the internet excepted, who doesn't like a good poo story). Everyone knows that gluten intolerance is mostly made up, based on a curious mis-interpretation and extrapolation of coeliac disease in which gluten is the actual bad guy. Even if you do react to wheat products, it's more likely to be a reaction to other wheat allergens than gluten.

Yeah, and allergies, the curiously non-specific ones that also weren't diagnosed by a medical professional. I'm allergic to Aspergillus spores. I know this because some evil lady with the benefit of several years in medical school and sporting an appropriate white coat jabbed my arm with several substances and viewed the resulting bright red weal from the mould spores with appropriate disdain. Actually, she was American, so was quite perky. Oh, I think that one wins! she declared looking at the big red patch that was my lower arm. I ran away before she amputated it for posterity. Even if you are allergic to peanuts, you can't die from sniffing a molecule of peanut released two rooms away, it's not homeopathic.

« Reply #1888 on: 14 September, 2016, 07:18:08 pm »
MrsC and I were catering for a smallish do earlier in the year.
We're used to having to worry about vegetarian or omnivore, and I usually make sure there's something vegan as it's easier.
But this time we had: veggie, veggie dairy intolerant, meat eater dairy intolerant, no spices1, and wheat intolerant2.
That out of a total of around 30 people. At least the 'I can eat anything as long as it's not red' person didn't turn up.

Notes
1) He's aware it's probably not all spices but how he reacts is sufficiently unpleasant that he hasn't wanted to do any more research!
2) At least one of these admitted it wasn't 'proper' gluten intolerance but that she doesn't feel too good after eating wheat. She also makes very good cakes!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1889 on: 15 September, 2016, 07:47:36 am »
MrsC and I were catering for a smallish do earlier in the year.
We're used to having to worry about vegetarian or omnivore, and I usually make sure there's something vegan as it's easier.
But this time we had: veggie, veggie dairy intolerant, meat eater dairy intolerant, no spices1, and wheat intolerant2.
That out of a total of around 30 people. At least the 'I can eat anything as long as it's not red' person didn't turn up.

Notes
1) He's aware it's probably not all spices but how he reacts is sufficiently unpleasant that he hasn't wanted to do any more research!
2) At least one of these admitted it wasn't 'proper' gluten intolerance but that she doesn't feel too good after eating wheat. She also makes very good cakes!

On the "no spices" thing, Mrs T has what is known as a Geographical Tongue (go on, Google it, you know you want to!).

Spicy food does bad things to her tongue.

It is very painful.

I have learnt to adapt recipes to suit, and now can make very tasty, non-spicy:
BBQ sauce (for ribs and pulled pork)
Curry
maybe some other stuffs I have forgotten...

I find catering quite easy, as most people will eat Paella (I have yet to meet someone who is rice intolerent).  I used to make two, but as the veggie one is the one that gets eaten the most I just make that now.  I am trainging TLD to make it so that I can concentrate on the BBQ side of things at these events.

Plus, apart from the dairy intolerent crowd, Squeeky Cheese is a crowd pleaser!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1890 on: 16 September, 2016, 09:18:53 am »
Sudden mid-morning hanker for saucisson sec. Must hold on...

« Reply #1891 on: 17 September, 2016, 07:36:03 pm »
We had some mince pies mid-afternoon.

No, not it's-far-too-early-for-Christmas ones from the shop. Some of last year's which have been in the freezer ever since. They weren't bad either.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1892 on: 17 September, 2016, 11:36:41 pm »
My BiL had a colleague who was Jain. Not the name, the particular religion. Not only vegan but would not eat anything that had grown below ground. An absolute nightmare when trying to sort out team dinners. By the time she had managed to sufficiently negotiate a dish with the restaurant, everyone else was either about to eat her or had already finished.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1893 on: 18 September, 2016, 01:19:47 pm »
Mrs B & I have just eaten our first home grown aubergine.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1894 on: 18 September, 2016, 09:10:24 pm »
On Friday my local Waitrose had a number of short date 1Kg tubs of curd cheese being sold off for £1.60.

There will be cheesecake. Proper cheesecake, none of your new york sweet confection (or that odd thing with coconut flakes on)

Kasenkuchen is another possibility.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1895 on: 19 September, 2016, 07:50:56 am »
This time yesterday I had two packets of stroopwafels.

Right now I have one packet of stroopwafels.

Om nom nom nom :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1896 on: 20 September, 2016, 11:18:01 am »
Last night while making some soup I dropped some curry leaves into my empty tea mug (the curry leaves weren't going in the soup, they happened to be sitting on top of the bay leaves, which were), so I decided to try curry leaf tea. It's good!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1897 on: 21 September, 2016, 06:34:06 pm »
Last month I attended a workshop about fermented food and how the gut is so important to our good health. On Mon I attended the 2nd workshop which was a practical where we prepared our own. It wasn't hard and is something I will continue with. Does anybody else here have any useful tips, recipes or websites, etc that you could share with me? Ta.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1898 on: 21 September, 2016, 06:55:11 pm »
Fermented food? That's beer isn't it?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1899 on: 21 September, 2016, 07:04:50 pm »
Fermented food? That's beer isn't it?

*Like*
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."