Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518728 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Ooh, that looks fabulous!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Buche Noel.

That looks magnificent. The kind of thing that I would not be able to help myself finishing off in one sitting, then spending the rest of the day regretting but ultimately deciding it was worth it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Recipe serves 12. There are just the two of us...

have some turkey to go with it!

Chris S

Ooh, that looks fabulous!

It really is - it's bloody lovely.

PSA: Give it maybe oh, 15 minutes after eating a portion of this before returning to red wine. Ugh... *shudder*

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Buche Noel.

Oh my aching HbA1c!*

...or you could try toasted pain d'épices instead of the financier. Might be a bit chewy, though.

* diabetic in-joke.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I really enjoyed making it.
I'm going to buy this and next year will be even more spectacular.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Scene: Tesco online shopping

Me: Tesco dried rosemary

Tesco: Sorry, this product is currently unavailable. You could substitute with Tesco Basil

Well, obviously I could. But is that a serious suggestion? Have you given that any real thought? Did you consider, for example, what I was going to do with the rosemary before suggesting basil? Hmm?

I don't think you did. I think you just looked at the next jar of overpriced, desiccated weed and said "that'll do".

Algorithm? You don't deserve a scientific-sounding name. I'm going to call you nob.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
At least with Tesco you can leave a decent set of instructions for what the shopper should do if not available. Sainsbo's have not yet implemented this rocket science.

E.g. I order Sainsbo's organic skinless chicken thigh fillets. They are not available, so rather than bunging me the non organic equivalent they give me chicken breast mini fillets. Every single time.
During lockdown I was ordering fresh lasagne sheets and getting random stuff like tagliatelle instead.

Paul

Ah - I haven't tried those instructions. Maybe I should, because the last time they had no tomato juice, the sent me orange juice!

The problem with that, though, is that - in trying to anticipate every weird decision the picker might make - the online shopping could eventually take longer than going to do it myself.

https://twitter.com/Mattas____Lpool/status/1344271820921430016?s=20                   As sold by a favourite local shop  :thumbsup:

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

https://twitter.com/Mattas____Lpool/status/1344271820921430016?s=20                   As sold by a favourite local shop  :thumbsup:

Breakfast of Champions  :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
First world food problems: we finished the sour cherry stollen yesterday. No more cakes left to have with tea  :'(

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
The problem with that, though, is that - in trying to anticipate every weird decision the picker might make - the online shopping could eventually take longer than going to do it myself.
An Asda click and collect order resulted in olive oil substituted for cider vinegar... At least I suspect financially it worked in my favour!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
I just realised I have not eaten an single pig in a blanky this winter. Wow. This is what happens when you bubble with a vegetarian.
Milk please, no sugar.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
^^^Git's is a well known brand of stuffs that the Indian housewife might not bother doing herself, not quite the Betty Crocker, but that kind of idea.

Personally, re online shopping I like the waitrose app, as I can order my 500g of loose sprouts and put a message "larger sprouts please" and hey pesto! there they are.  Still get some bizarre substitutions though, frozen parsely instead of frozen coriander for example
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #3766 on: 31 December, 2020, 09:05:24 am »
I just realised I have not eaten an single pig in a blanky this winter. Wow. This is what happens when you bubble with a vegetarian.

We had a vegetarian Christmas dinner, in deference to my son’s vegetarian girlfriend who is staying with us. He seemed to get the idea in his head that we would be doing turkey as well, and was most disappointed when he realised we weren’t. However, we did make a side dish of pigs in blankets to satisfy his carnivorous urges.

Have to say I enjoyed the mushroom wellington very much - more so than turkey, if I’m honest.

citoyen

Still get some bizarre substitutions though, frozen parsely instead of frozen coriander for example

Makes more sense than swapping rosemary for basil, to be fair.

But swapping a pint of milk for Basil can be an expensive substitution.

Paul

;D

ElyDave

Still get some bizarre substitutions though, frozen parsely instead of frozen coriander for example

Makes more sense than swapping rosemary for basil, to be fair.

You think? It was for Indian cooking, parsley would not have been anywhere near the required flavour

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I know why I am very picky about substitutions. Only accept when I truly can't do without something likely to get suitable sub, like bread/onions...

citoyen

You think? It was for Indian cooking, parsley would not have been anywhere near the required flavour

I didn't say it would be a good substitution, just that it makes more sense than substituting basil for rosemary.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Back on Facebook, friends who have ordered Kosher pickled cucumbers are supplied with a little Memorial Candle in a glass as a substitute, as they all come from the 'Kosher' section...

ElyDave

What would make a pickled cucumber Kosher?