Author Topic: Captain Tom  (Read 15552 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Captain Tom
« on: 16 April, 2020, 08:43:18 am »
i do so hope that I’m that active and bright when I get to be that age.
I heart warming story amongst all the gloom and doom.
What an absolute star.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Captain Tom
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:34:19 am »
They should promote him.

I mean as a Major, not a meeja star. 

Major Tom has a kind of ring to it.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:57:54 am »
Yeah, but that doesn’t end well if memory serves.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2020, 10:40:39 am »
Then leapfrog him to Honorary Colonel, he can have one of Harry's
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2020, 11:57:08 am »
That is a brilliant suggestion.  :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2020, 01:33:41 pm »
The Yorkshire Regiment gave him an honour guard for the final lap.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2020, 01:44:02 pm »
Forgive me if I'm not overly impressed by soldiers from the Yorkshire Regiment travelling down to Bedfordshire to visit a 99 year old and put on a show...  not exactly in line with:

(a) the social isolation policy for over 70s, or
(b) avoiding unnecessary journeys.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2020, 02:09:55 pm »
That struck me as bizarre.  Also their major appeared to get very close to the old chap and it looked as if he was then reminded to take care.

Shame if he does all that and then gets the virus. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2020, 02:17:44 pm »
Forgive me if I'm not overly impressed by soldiers from the Yorkshire Regiment travelling down to Bedfordshire to visit a 99 year old and put on a show...  not exactly in line with:

I think you'll find it's Ok, because they got there by doing a DIY by GPS.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2020, 03:18:23 pm »

1st Battalion Yorkshire Regiment are actually based in Warminster. Regiments aren't actually garrisoned where there names indicate historical recruiting came from. We also don't know if they made a special trip or were doing something in the area anyway.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2020, 04:14:43 pm »

I think you'll find it's Ok, because they got there by doing a DIY by GPS.
;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2020, 04:30:39 pm »

1st Battalion Yorkshire Regiment are actually based in Warminster. Regiments aren't actually garrisoned where there names indicate historical recruiting came from. We also don't know if they made a special trip or were doing something in the area anyway.

1st Battalion are based in Warminster - the rest of the Yorkshire Regiment are based primarily in Yorkshire (according to the MoD).   
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2020, 04:53:55 pm »

1st Battalion are based in Warminster - the rest of the Yorkshire Regiment are based primarily in Yorkshire (according to the MoD).   

The Army has indeed been hit badly by cuts and recruiting failures, but the 1st Bn didn't need the rest of the Regt to be able to muster 9 guys!

ElyDave

« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2020, 04:55:02 pm »
I assume a chunk of them somewhere near Catterick, but I have no evidence for that

« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2020, 05:21:05 pm »
I assume a chunk of them somewhere near Catterick, but I have no evidence for that

2nd Battalion. There is no 3rd any more due to downsizing.

« Reply #15 on: 16 April, 2020, 05:21:50 pm »

And it was 1st who paid him a visit.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 16 April, 2020, 05:29:55 pm »

It's lovely that someone is trying to raise money for the NHS and all that.

But it's a really fucked up state of affairs when the nations healthcare system needs to find it's funding that way.

It's the National Health Service, not a fucking charity.

Then of course we have the fact that to you and me, 12 million is a lot of money. To an organisation like the NHS, it's a rounding error...

Do not forget that the NHS, and all of the issues of austerity funding cuts are all purely ideological moves taken by a government who's attacks on public services are verging on criminal.

Lovely effort Capt Tom (Ret.). Fucking disgusting that the 6th largest economy on earth needs it...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 16 April, 2020, 05:43:40 pm »
It provides sexual health services, therefore it's literally a fucking charity.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

« Reply #19 on: 16 April, 2020, 05:47:50 pm »
I understood his efforts were going to a charity that is supporting NHS personnel, not to the NHS itself. It is much easier as a journalist though to say that he's fundraising for the NHS

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #20 on: 16 April, 2020, 05:57:37 pm »

One rule for us, an another for them.

But it's a really fucked up state of affairs when the nations healthcare system needs to find it's funding that way.

Then of course we have the fact that to you and me, 12 million is a lot of money. To an organisation like the NHS, it's a rounding error...

Do not forget that the NHS, and all of the issues of austerity funding cuts are all purely ideological moves taken by a government who's attacks on public services are verging on criminal.

Lovely effort Capt Tom (Ret.). Fucking disgusting that the 6th largest economy on earth needs it...

J

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

ian

« Reply #21 on: 16 April, 2020, 06:07:02 pm »
If I were him, I'd spend the money on a wheelbarrow full of cocaine, a hotel room, and a brace of flexible young redheads.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #22 on: 16 April, 2020, 06:21:55 pm »
If I were him, I'd spend the money on a wheelbarrow full of cocaine, a hotel room, and a brace of flexible young redheads.

And the rest you would just waste.

« Reply #23 on: 16 April, 2020, 06:28:24 pm »

J
^This.
Especially all of the last line.

« Reply #24 on: 16 April, 2020, 07:02:59 pm »
I see that the Collosal Bell End cornered Hancock about MP's following the NZ line and taking a pay cut.

As you'd expect, Hancock came out of it looking like the miserable, tight, uncaring , greedy bastard that I consider him and his tory colleagues to be.

For once, well done Morgan.