Author Topic: TransAtlanticway event Ireland  (Read 7438 times)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
TransAtlanticway event Ireland
« on: 04 June, 2019, 04:38:37 pm »
On Thursday the 6th June the 5th year of this event gets under way, This year two Audax legends Lee Killestein and Steven Abraham are dipping their toes into the multiday self supported waters.  Alaina Beacall who writes in arivee magazine is here to, and Anisa Aubin and Ede Harrison are strong ladies too.

Are you following anybody

Current favorite is Jason Black from Ireland is a super fast rider used to semi-supported events.
Watch the dots here.

http://trackleaders.com/transatlantic19

rob

Re: TransAtlanticway event Ireland
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2019, 08:53:20 pm »
Not really studied this but the tracker looks like they start from Dublin and the ride North to join the TAW official route and ride South to Cork ?

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2019, 10:29:24 pm »
It's a free route from Dublin to Derry. So riders are free to choose their own routes but not allowed on certain roads deemed too dangerous. In Derry they get their first stamp then follow a mandatory route down the Wild Atlantic Way to Kinsale.  From Kinsale it's a short ride to Cork and the finish.

Last year Adrian introduced a mandatory three hour stop per 24 hours. But I don't think it applies for the first 48 hours.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2019, 08:01:42 am »
A guy I ride with, Dan Harty, is doing it. He's currently 5/ 6th (riding with someone else it would appear) at the moment. Long way still to go though...

« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2019, 11:24:13 am »
Ah, now I understand why a rider called Felix Smith has had some publicity on Bike sites

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #5 on: 07 June, 2019, 12:20:05 pm »
Is that Teethgrinder I see in the top 10?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

rob

« Reply #6 on: 07 June, 2019, 01:13:07 pm »

Yeah.  I suspect he will do rather well.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2019, 02:03:17 pm »
Hi, I'm on the tram at CP2 and the finish so will hopefully provide insights to the YACF guys I know, Steve, Lee Killestienand Mark Smith among others, any personal messages for them.

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2019, 02:25:36 pm »
I see CP2 is in the middle of one of my favourite sections along the route.  Just say, hope they are enjoying some of the best landscapes I ever cycled through back in 2016, and I hope their necks are doing better than mine did in the end.  I plan to be doing the WAWA again next year, so also tell them not to wear the road out...

« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2019, 09:55:56 pm »

Yeah.  I suspect he will do rather well.

He's just warming up for the Mersey

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 08 June, 2019, 06:46:30 am »
My clubmate Matt Seward appears to be currently in fifth place. (He rode with Steve a few times during his record attempt - suspect he fancies having a go at that himself some time.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 08 June, 2019, 11:38:56 am »
Lead riders will hit Achill Island today.  I got confused by the loops on WAWA 16 and managed to miss one.  I got the news after fighting the headwind for a couple of hours to get back to a control. I had to go back out to do the second loop and return in the winds again.  Luckily Eamon and David drove me back out where I'd gone wrong. But it did cost a fair amount of time. I wasn't the only one to make that mistake.  Hopefully the TAW riders have split their tracks to make it easier to ensure all the loops are covered.

« Reply #12 on: 08 June, 2019, 01:08:59 pm »
looks like the weather has been kind. Some beautiful photos of the race appearing on instagram etc.
often lost.

essexian

« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2019, 08:21:12 am »
Thanks for the link to the tracker....many hours of dot watching fun!

Talking about fun, Bike Radar have a rider in the event who talks about his bike set up etc here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmyZvO35KPI Its quite funny..... looking at the tracker, he seems well outclassed by some of the riders!

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2019, 02:17:00 pm »
My clubmate Matt Seward appears to be currently in fifth place. (He rode with Steve a few times during his record attempt - suspect he fancies having a go at that himself some time.)

Matt is doing very well and has moved into third place. Mind third to fifth are very closely spaced and likely in sight of each other at times.  First and second have a clear lead of the rest at the moment. Steve is currently in a very respectable seventh.

rob

« Reply #15 on: 09 June, 2019, 06:03:37 pm »
Steve up into 6th place.   Not too far behind 5th Place rider.

If there’s one thing he understands, it’s pacing.

Phil W

« Reply #16 on: 09 June, 2019, 07:28:46 pm »
Steve has sneaked into 5th place.  Coming up on Clifden which is a reasonably sized place for resupply with a supermarket and several cafes / restaurants / bars. It's relatively flat / rolling terrain till after Galway.

« Reply #17 on: 09 June, 2019, 09:36:30 pm »
We all know this is not a race don't we?  ;)

Phil W

« Reply #18 on: 09 June, 2019, 09:41:41 pm »
Lee Killestein is at 942km, a little bit off the route for a rest / sleep.  Think he is at the Yellow Rose B&B, very nice.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #19 on: 10 June, 2019, 02:20:59 pm »
Teethgrinder in good spirits yesterday and loving the route. Had a shower here (CP2 Killary Fjord) and a good feed then was keen to keep on to make sure of reaching the ferry mid day today.
Paul Buckley is suffering with a swollen throat and possibly some heat stroke, but is forging on.
Matt Seward in an AUK shirt is looking very strong also, 4th on the road.

The weather has been stunning here for 2 days, but as usual their are many retirements from the dreaded "Irish Interval" knee, the constant rollers in places taking their toll.

use the hashtag #transatlanticway in FB and Instagram and twitter for plenty of stunning images as we have 2 media cars chasing them around.

Phil W

« Reply #20 on: 10 June, 2019, 02:45:20 pm »
Today, the lead riders will hit Conor pass the highest in Ireland then down to the Dingle Peninsula.  Quite touristy with a few buses about.  It was blowing a hoolie last time I was there.

« Reply #21 on: 10 June, 2019, 08:48:16 pm »
Steve into 4th and Ede climbing the ranks into eighth. I met her during TCR last year. Tiny slip of a thing, super tough.
often lost.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #22 on: 10 June, 2019, 09:55:43 pm »
Unfortunately our then leader Rob Webb was taken out by a car on the dingle Peninsula, he is perfectly OK but obviously devastated, his bike snapped and there is no chance of continuing.  :'(

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23 on: 10 June, 2019, 11:00:19 pm »
Unfortunately our then leader Rob Webb was taken out by a car on the dingle Peninsula, he is perfectly OK but obviously devastated, his bike snapped and there is no chance of continuing.  :'(

Oh no! I guess that would explain why his trackpoint was greyed out when I was looking earlier.

Good to hear he is unhurt at least.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rob

« Reply #24 on: 11 June, 2019, 09:02:56 am »
Teethgrinder now up to 3rd.

#notarace