Author Topic: I would like to cycle to...  (Read 8563 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: I would like to cycle to...
« Reply #25 on: 08 January, 2009, 08:26:59 am »
Down through le continong to Greece and then pootle round Greece and her islands...

*drifts off into daydream*

...and not bother coming back.

But, short of a massive lottery win / large inheritance from previously unheard  of and wealthy distant relative I can't see it happening.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 08 January, 2009, 10:02:31 am »
The other half of the Vallon-Pont d'Arc - St. Martin sur Ardeche loop I didn't do in 1985.

I think I did that; you didn't miss much

I rode the Vallon - St Martin bit on a heavily-laden tourer with a furious hangover, but have only driven the southern half.  Plus when in those parts in 2001 we found a cracking restaurant in Labastide de Virac which I wouldn't mind revisiting.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Dave

« Reply #27 on: 08 January, 2009, 10:41:43 am »
I would like to cycle tofrom...

The office where I'm currently sitting to home, then from home to another job :'(

Failing that, mountain biking in Las Alpujarras. Which doesn't actually answer the question. Meh.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #28 on: 08 January, 2009, 10:51:09 am »
Hanoi  to Ho Chi Min city a ride I have been wanting to do but short of a big lottery win have virtually no chance of doing,so I would currently settle for a ride up Kingsdale over to Dentdale and back home via Barbondale .assuming of course that i am not coughing my lungs out and large amounts of green snot are no longer streaming from my nose.

« Reply #29 on: 08 January, 2009, 10:55:51 am »
...China.
Or all the way round the world!
Or across America.

Though I suspect by Stafford, I'd want to get the train home! 

« Reply #30 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:07:07 am »
I like just following my nose, consulting a map if I'm hoplessly lost, and afterwards to find out where I've been.

alan

« Reply #31 on: 08 January, 2009, 04:42:14 pm »
LeJog is an itch I want to scratch.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #32 on: 08 January, 2009, 09:27:13 pm »
To the ski resort. Still haven't worked out how to carry the bloody skis. I like the idea of a long queue of cars behind me as I slowly struggle up the final hill.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #33 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:22:18 pm »

Hopefully I shall do it this year.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #34 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:26:26 pm »
To the ski resort. Still haven't worked out how to carry the bloody skis. I like the idea of a long queue of cars behind me as I slowly struggle up the final hill.

a) Snowblades?
b) Rent the skis from a shop at the resort and leave them with the shop every day (worked well for us one year in La Plagne).
c) Vertically (on side of rack)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #35 on: 09 January, 2009, 12:02:08 pm »

Me too. I planned it twice, even bought some rail tickets for one trip, then the companies I was working for at the time went into Administration and made me redundant with no notice and owing me money. I had the time but could not afford the expense. I am too scared to plan it again !!!

Re: I would like to cycle to.....
« Reply #36 on: 09 January, 2009, 12:31:26 pm »
The other half of the Vallon-Pont d'Arc - St. Martin sur Ardeche loop I didn't do in 1985.
I've canoed between 'em. Does that count?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: I would like to cycle to.....
« Reply #37 on: 09 January, 2009, 01:49:51 pm »
I've canoed between 'em. Does that count?

So've I.  And it was Hard Work for someone who hadn't been in a canoe for 25 years.  And worse for someone who hadn't been in a canoe at all.  I had to spoon-feed TWFKAML her dinner that night as her arms had totally seized up ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

alan

« Reply #38 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:58:07 pm »

Me too. I planned it twice, even bought some rail tickets for one trip, then the companies I was working for at the time went into Administration and made me redundant with no notice and owing me money. I had the time but could not afford the expense. I am too scared to plan it again !!!

I too have had it planned (3 times in the last 5 years) but had to forego it due to pressures of work.
The current economic downturn may allow the time to be available & I might therefore JFDI with only a few days notice and an element of seat-of-the-pants will apply to such things as accommodation.
As you say the lack of work & lack of £ then becomes the over-riding consideration even when the time is available. :-\

« Reply #39 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:05:15 pm »
I too have had it planned (3 times in the last 5 years) but had to forego it due to pressures of work.
The current economic downturn may allow the time to be available & I might therefore JFDI with only a few days notice and an element of seat-of-the-pants will apply to such things as accommodation.
As you say the lack of work & lack of £ then becomes the over-riding consideration even when the time is available. :-\

All of my tours have been seat-of-the pants for lodgings but I also carry a tent.

alan

« Reply #40 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:25:04 pm »

All of my tours have been seat-of-the pants for lodgings but I also carry a tent.

and a sleeping bag & mat?

alan

« Reply #42 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:28:38 pm »
I'll give that some thought.
I assume you do no cooking to dispense with the necessary kit & weight

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #43 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:31:40 pm »
This sounds like my plan, but with the caveat that I have a fortnight in mind, coincidentally around the York Rally for a half way point.

Whether or not it happens this year...
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #44 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:32:17 pm »
I'll give that some thought.
I assume you do no cooking to dispense with the necessary kit & weight
that is correct. Dispense with underwear for the same reason.MSeries touring is quite spartan. BacktoBasics.

« Reply #45 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:34:58 pm »
This sounds like my plan, but with the caveat that I have a fortnight in mind, coincidentally around the York Rally for a half way point.

Whether or not it happens this year...

My route bothtimes included stopping off at home (37 miles west of York),  here is a link to a page that was once on my website about my preparations
LeJog Blog apparently my plans didn't include a tent&mat&bag

alan

« Reply #46 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:57:03 pm »
but with the caveat that I have a fortnight in mind,

I reckon on taking about 17 days.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #47 on: 09 January, 2009, 07:45:42 pm »
Given the chance I would like to cycle to the Haute Vienne/Limousin area of Central/Southern France, turn a roadside farmhouse into a bikeshop/repair workshop/cafe/meeting place.

And not come back.

Is it wrong to have such a dream?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #48 on: 09 January, 2009, 07:53:40 pm »
Short : night ride up the Meon Valley.

That's a good one.  I've done that on the odd audax and it is lovely :)

I have mapped a route to London so, later in the year when it's warmer, I'll head off in the small hours and ride into town. It's only 70ish miles to Waterloo and the train home.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #49 on: 09 January, 2009, 07:58:45 pm »
Actually, I don't mind where I ride so long as:

a) I can ride

b) It's not in London

and, most importantly

c) Butterfly's with me. :)
Getting there...