Author Topic: One of those days  (Read 6446 times)

annie

One of those days
« on: 29 March, 2008, 11:55:47 am »
Another one of those days.... when things don't go quite according to plan and you realise it might have been a better idea to stay in bed.

I had finished attaching the new rear mudguard, the first time I have fitted a mudguard and whilst to most of you it might appear to be a trivial matter to me it was about building confidence to tackle something else on the bike without the need to visit the LBS.  So the mudguard is fitted and all looks good. 

Next was the new red Hope QR skewers, they are shiney and bright and look lovely, I didn't have any accidents or incidents fitting these, I popped the bike in the living room, which is where I had fitted the mudguard and was happy tinkering away.

I thought it wise to then take the bike for a little spin down the road as I wanted to make sure the mudguard wasn't rubbing and the wheels were not about to fall off after fitting the new skewers.  I popped on my SPD's and off I went, all was just fine and dandy until lI got to the top of the road and realised I couldn't unclip, I managed to steer towards the side of a cottage and to prop myelf up until I could manage to remove my feet from my shoes, all of this was in full view of passers by who rather enjoyed the little show.  So home I went with feet firmly on the ground.  The cleats had become dislodged and no matter how much I fiddled and faffed they decided to call it a day.  Realising I didn't have much time to get another pair of shoes I opted to remove the Look Keos from the Bianchi, in my enthusiasm I was attacked by the large chainring

Still, I carried on and removed the pedals.  I then took the bike out for another spin and realised that I couldn't actually get onto the large chainring so it was that I pootled up to the LBS and David very kindly sorted that out for me.

I will have to wear my new Sidi Ergo shoes tomorrow on the Audax, so pray that I can sort the tension out this afternoon.

I wasn't amused to find that Mike had been taking some pictures as I was pootling up and down the road in my Minnie Mouse shoes.

Trousers tucked into socks is all the fashion in Suffolk

GillP

Re: One of those days
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2008, 12:07:07 pm »
I'm impressed with your fettling, and very ignorant. What are the Hope QR skewers for  ???

annie

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2008, 12:09:39 pm »
I'm impressed with your fettling, and very ignorant. What are the Hope QR skewers for  ???

Quick release skewers.

I am not impressed with the size of the pics.  Think I may need to make them a little bit smaller.

How was Van the Man?

GillP

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2008, 01:02:17 pm »

How was Van the Man?

Excellent, thank you  :)

« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2008, 01:03:59 pm »
OK, now I want shiny red hubs, too....but not chainring cuts--I know how that feels! Ouch.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2008, 01:41:29 pm »
Well done on the mudguard fitting!  Mudguards are IME always harder than you think they will be to get right...

annie

« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2008, 02:20:33 pm »
Thank you Juliet.

I was just loading the bike into the car when I noticed a little hole in the front tyre, on closer inspection there were two flints lodged in that little hole.  The tyre and tube were removed and flints thrown into the fire.  Tyre and tube back on to rim and ready to inflate.  Mr A was at this point stood next to the wheel, I suggested he moved away just in case there was a problem, he asked me what sort of a problem and I explained about the noise a tube makes when it explodes.  Famous last words, as he walked away it exploded.  I have ringing in my ears, grrhhh.  So new tube fitted and bike in car.  Weather here is awful, very windy and angry looking clouds.  My neighbour suggested I take up carpet bowls.

« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2008, 03:25:40 pm »
I'm 8 miles from Stevenage and it's raining.

Good job this isn't the good news thread.

May see you tomorrow Annie - I'll be wearing a red carnation and carrying the Sunday Times.

annie

« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2008, 03:28:07 pm »
I'm 8 miles from Stevenage and it's raining.

Good job this isn't the good news thread.

May see you tomorrow Annie - I'll be wearing a red carnation and carrying the Sunday Times.

Ohhh that is good news then, or is it?

I am about to leave.  Have my cycling magazine and a good book so with a lack of anything else exciting to do in the hotel I shall at least be well read.

Are you doing the 200 John?  Of course I won't know as I am going.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2008, 06:06:57 pm »
Good weather is guaranteed tomorrow; and anyway if it rains we're going to the pub, where you're all welcome to join us.  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2008, 07:26:44 pm »
alecstilleyedye's first law of removing pedals: put the chain onto the biggest chainring so it doesn't impale you when your hand inevitably slips.

from experience comes wisdom  :-[
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #11 on: 30 March, 2008, 01:13:31 pm »
Ahhhh, fettling of which I am proud.

Have a medal young Annie.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #12 on: 30 March, 2008, 01:20:57 pm »

How was Van the Man?

he still on a positive phase of his career then?

annie -  ouch, those knuckles look sore  :-\ when are you girls going to realise  - fettling's a mans job  ;)
(runs and takes cover)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:13:57 pm »
Mudguard fitting is a bugger.

I was discussing this very point a few weeks ago with Erik Richardson, proprietor of our excellent LBS, who agreed that it is one of the jobs he least likes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #14 on: 05 April, 2008, 05:13:20 pm »

How was Van the Man?

annie -  ouch, those knuckles look sore  :-\ when are you girls going to realise  - fettling's a mans job  ;)
(runs and takes cover)
Glad you enjoyed yourself Mrs TKP.

I love fettling, I wouldn't ask a man, I would spend so long looking it would be dark by the time I had found one.  All the fun is in the fettliing, I think.  Now would be a suitable time for a spank.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 05 April, 2008, 05:25:40 pm »

How was Van the Man?

(runs and takes cover)

I love fettling, I wouldn't ask a man, I would spend so long looking it would be dark by the time I had found one.  All the fun is in the fettliing, I think.  Now would be a suitable time for a spank.

Indeed. I enjoyed fettling but my hands are too numb now. Charlotte and juliet are mean fettlers too.

A man who posts about fettling being a male preogative is on dodgy ground...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 05 April, 2008, 05:39:56 pm »
If he does it within earshot of a Charlotte, he may well come to a little spot of grief.

*hefts chain whip*

:evil:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #17 on: 05 April, 2008, 09:24:21 pm »

How was Van the Man?

(runs and takes cover)

Indeed. I enjoyed fettling but my hands are too numb now. Charlotte and juliet are mean fettlers too.

A man who posts about fettling being a male preogative is on dodgy ground...

If you own and ride a bike you should be able to fettle IMO.

Whether you choose to or not is up to the individual. Some jobs may be a physical challenge.

« Reply #18 on: 06 April, 2008, 02:27:58 pm »
Hm - I commuted by bike for several years before ever so much as fixing one of my own punctures.  In London you're usually close enough to a bike shop to walk there & get them to do it.  (I did in theory know how, but only in very vague theory :) ).

I certainly don't think that fettling beyond the basic puncture-repair level is necessary for most casual cyclists.  When I'm talking to people about cycling I usually emphasise the "you can get the shop to do it, & if you want to learn later you can" side.  I think associating cycling with mechanics is likely to put a lot of people off when they're at the beginner stage. 

Discovering that a bike *is* a very fixable, and easy to understand, system, can be really rewarding, but I think it's something that's best come to gradually :) 

(I do all my own fettling, & can build a bike & a wheel, & I do *mostly* find it quite rewarding.  But this started for financial rather than any other reasons!)

rae

« Reply #19 on: 06 April, 2008, 03:07:15 pm »
Indeed, sometimes fettling goes wrong.   This morning I tried to fix something unrelated to bikes - a snapped off bolt in a crankcase.   I drilled out the centre, screwed in the reverse tap - which promptly snapped.   So now I have a hole full of tool steel rather than a nice soft bolt.   Damn.   No blood, but much cursing.   I've ordered a suitable carbide drill and I will  have it sorted in a drill press by the end of the week.   Then I'll have to put a new thread insert in which is a bore.  Ho hum. 

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #20 on: 06 April, 2008, 03:13:24 pm »
Mudguard fitting is a bugger.  I was discussing this very point a few weeks ago with Erik Richardson, proprietor of our excellent LBS, who agreed that it is one of the jobs he least likes.

Only dynamos are less loved.  And a full mudguard-and-dynamo job is a right mare.  They take so damned long.  Give me a brake bleed any day...

Loving the knuckles, Annie.  You and that bike are now blood sisters.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.