Author Topic: Curved cranks boost torque by 30%  (Read 5150 times)

Zoidburg

Re: Curved cranks boost torque by 30%
« Reply #50 on: 15 October, 2009, 05:38:41 pm »
In all seriousness, a question that has been at the back of my mind since seeing the curved cranks.  If they were some form of mild sprung metal then when you put the power down (on the downstroke, or pull up against the cleats) then you could add tension* to the crank.  At the dead spots this tension would be trying to unload against your foot, thus pushing your foot through the dead spots.

Could this be the secret to this new design?  Rather than the old L shaped or straight cranks, is this curvey thing a real spring?

The current issue of Velovision has a short review of a hub which contains a spring to do just that.
In a dead spot the sprung crank has nothing to push against, thats why it's a dead spot, in fact it would kick back from your foot, pushing the crank the wrong way.

Perpetual motion machines don't exist, neither do "magic" cranks.

Re: Curved cranks boost torque by 30%
« Reply #51 on: 15 October, 2009, 06:35:18 pm »
In all seriousness, a question that has been at the back of my mind since seeing the curved cranks.  If they were some form of mild sprung metal then when you put the power down (on the downstroke, or pull up against the cleats) then you could add tension* to the crank.  At the dead spots this tension would be trying to unload against your foot, thus pushing your foot through the dead spots.

Could this be the secret to this new design?  Rather than the old L shaped or straight cranks, is this curvey thing a real spring?

The current issue of Velovision has a short review of a hub which contains a spring to do just that.
In a dead spot the sprung crank has nothing to push against, thats why it's a dead spot, in fact it would kick back from your foot, pushing the crank the wrong way.

Perpetual motion machines don't exist, neither do "magic" cranks.

Dammit - velovision beat me to it :D

zoidberg - I agree with you re magic cranks not existing (after all energy cannot be created or destroyed ;)).